Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
14 Posts
Planning on getting the 20 mm from subaru. What tools do i need? I'm hoping i can just lay down in my garage to install without jacking the car up...

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,411 Posts
Planning on getting the 20 mm from subaru. What tools do i need? I'm hoping i can just lay down in my garage to install without jacking the car up...
Just a socket wrench. Forget the size. Biggest challenge is maneuvering out of where its installed. And thats not very hard.

·
Registered
2013 F-XT 4eat
1,354 Posts
To give you an idea of how much stiffer a larger bar is....

In case picture goes away some time down the road.... :wink2:
http://www. subaru4you.co .uk/images/parts/suspension/whitelineswaybarstiffness.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the 20mm rear sway bar on our '17 Forester this past weekend, and boy, what a marked improvement it was over the stock unit.

Install took about 45 minutes, mostly due to fighting the slightly-crusty end links out of the lower control arms. On a difficulty scale, I would rate it a 2/10. All that was required was a set of metric allen wrenches, 14mm box end wrench, and a 17mm box end wrench.

While it's not exactly a "canyon carver", the tossing the thing around a little on the twistier back roads was far more fun. Stability was better, and everything felt less top-heavy due to the reduced roll out back. I didn't note any change in ride comfort that could be quantified, and the fit/finish of the bar was perfect, as you'd come to expect from an OE Subaru part. For $88, you would be very hard pressed to find an easier modification to do with such a large, positive impact.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i AT
38 Posts
Quick question: Are you talking about an OEM swaybar that I would buy at the Subaru dealership?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i AT
38 Posts
You can try and find a used one or buy new from one of the Forum parts vendors. Think they are around $85 new.
As an FYI for anyone out there, Subaru Online Parts sent me a quote of $76 for the bar and bushings and $25 for delivery to SF bay area from NY. If you live on the east coast, this becomes a great buy for a new Subaru part.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts