Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Subaru OEM 20mm rear sway bar installed. Had it for over a year and couldn't find time to install it. When I went up to the dealer for my oil change and tire rotate at 18K miles, I asked the tech if he'd put it on for me on the side. He said I'll do it for free...SWEET! Great dealership and the only tech there I'll let work on my Subarus. It's great developing relationships with Service Managers and techs at dealerships:grin2:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear you got it installed....but...in 1 year you couldn't find 30 minutes?
Crazy year...relocated from VA and lived in temp housing for 6 months and then in an apartment with my wife and daughter while our home was being built and started a new job at the same time. Sounds crazy I know but it wasn't a high priority and I had a ton of other things more important to get done. I figured if I can get a young tech to do it for $20 it would be a bargain. He said he'd do it for free but I wanted to give him something to show my appreciation.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why a 20mm one , did you not have an oem one before ?
The Subaru's normally come standard with a 16mm bar. Most folks will tell you that going with an OEM 19 or 20 will make a nice difference and make the car handle better. Did this to my 2015 Legacy and was very impressed. Bought the 20mm for the Forester. If you search Google about Subaru rear sway bars, you will find a lot on the subject. You can buy the bar with new bushings for under $100 shipped to your door. They take about 30 minutes to install in your driveway...Legacy had to put up on ramps but Forester is high enough that it can easily be done...if you can make the time.

https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-forester-rear-sway-20mm-p-3919.html

Here is one example but I think you find it for about $85-$90 and a great upgrade for any Forester.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is the 20mm rear sway bar a big improvement by itself? Or is replacing the end links necessary as well to get the full benefit?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Is the 20mm rear sway bar a big improvement by itself? Or is replacing the end links necessary as well to get the full benefit?
there is a quite noticeable difference when adding the 20mm, it is well worth the money. You do not have to replace the stock end links unless you plan on doing things like auto-x or something of similar harshness.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I put in a 19mm when I had about 700 miles on the clock. Big, but subtle improvement. It didn't make anything harsher, but makes it feel much steadier on the highway (especially on windy days) and in turns. It doesn't make it act like a WRX, but it is much better than stock. I chose to replace the end links at the same time, because they are rather skinny looking. With more resistance to flexing (19/20mm vs 16mm) the end links would be the weak point in an extreme turn / twist. The stockers are probably fine for 90% of owners, but I knew I'd be working on performance as long as I have the Fozz, so I just did it at the same time.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I put in a 19mm when I had about 700 miles on the clock. Big, but subtle improvement. It didn't make anything harsher, but makes it feel much steadier on the highway (especially on windy days) and in turns. It doesn't make it act like a WRX, but it is much better than stock. I chose to replace the end links at the same time, because they are rather skinny looking. With more resistance to flexing (19/20mm vs 16mm) the end links would be the weak point in an extreme turn / twist. The stockers are probably fine for 90% of owners, but I knew I'd be working on performance as long as I have the Fozz, so I just did it at the same time.
Interesting, which end links did you use and which rear sway bar?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Interesting, which end links did you use and which rear sway bar?
At that time I chose a 19mm Subie RSB and the Perrin Rear end links. I have since gone to a Whiteline 22mm Adj RSB, still on the Perrin links.

*Note- I never found aftermarket end links specific to the Forester (110mm length). The WRX ones everyone gets are 95mm long. Will this affect performance? How much? I had lowered my XT by 25mm so the shorter 95's are actually a little long for my application (85mm would have kept the same geometry), but it has worked fine for me.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
At that time I chose a 19mm Subie RSB and the Perrin Rear end links. I have since gone to a Whiteline 22mm Adj RSB, still on the Perrin links.

*Note- I never found aftermarket end links specific to the Forester (110mm length). The WRX ones everyone gets are 95mm long. Will this affect performance? How much? I had lowered my XT by 25mm so the shorter 95's are actually a little long for my application (85mm would have kept the same geometry), but it has worked fine for me.
Ah, research time for me. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with what everyone said about adding the 20mm bar. It tightens up the rear and has a more solid feel without compromising ride quality. For a $100 and an hour in your driveway it is well worth the investment. Did this to my 2015 Legacy too and was very pleased. Highly recommend!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also went with the 20mm bar. I installed mine about 4 months ago and it has made me much happier with the handling. The car just feels more planted in all situations. I got to test it out on a trip up to the mountains recently and the handling on curvy roads is way better. It leans less and I found it easier to make small steering corrections.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't wait to get mine on!

It has been sitting in in the back of my Jeep (which has both of its swaybars permanently removed) waiting for time to install.

Hopefully in a few months I can get it in

·
Registered
95 Posts
What is people's experience with the 19mm or 20mm off of paved roads? I live around a number of US Forest Service roads that I drive in during the hiking season. Not anything involving rock crawling, though; I usually drive in 2nd or 3rd gear. How would either of these affect these drives, if at all?

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
A stiffer suspension, and the RSB in this instance, will make off-roading less gooder. The 16mm bar Subie installs is a compromise, to satisfy the most people. It allows reasonable and comfy handling on the highway and still flexes enough for rough terrain. The stiffer you go, the less the wheels will be able to keep contact with the dirt road. I have a 22mm on the rear and it holds the car very stable at high speed on the highway, but on a rutted fire road I would be 3-wheeling it over holes.

I don't have any rough-ground experience with mine, other than flat fields and gravel lots. Maybe someone with a built off-road Fozzy can comment. For dedicated trail use I'd think a soft bar, or none at all, would be best. My cousin has quick-disconnects for the sway bars on his jeep. When he gets to the trail head he disconnects the bar from the axle and ties it up, for the easiest flexing. That would be bad on the highway though, so You'll need a happy medium.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts