Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the 20G installed but we couldn't get the inlet pipe to back completely onto the turbo and the y-pipe only fit about a half inch on the nozzle. Anyone have any tips or advice? I'm wondering if I need a different y pipe - I have a 02-05 wrx perrin piece.

Regarding the inlet, the installer said that since it's only suction it should be fine the way it is. True?

My setup:

08 FXT
Turbo XS tmic
perrin inlet
02-05 wrx perrin y pipe
blouch 20g 8cm hotside

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he trying to say that it doesn't have to be a perfect seal?

If so thats very wrong. You'll get inaccurate MAF sensor reading and run lean.
The inlet is over the turbo lip all around, it's just not backed in all the way. There's about a 1 inch collar for the inlet but we only got it to fit about half way. It does have a clamp on there sealing it. He said there's no danger in it pooping off since it's suction.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a pic of the turbo. from left to right

evo 16g , 20g (the one i installed), vf48 (my old turbo)

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Aren't the sti Y pipes longer where they go on the outlet of the turbo? I think that might solve that problem at least. I'd say that as long as theres enough of the inlet over the turbo to get the clamp seated well, it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got in there today and I was able to pull the hose just a tad more to get the clamp just behind the lip. However, on the front part in a very small section, the clamp extends about 1/8" over the hose. Everywhere else the hose extends beyond the clamp. I think it should be ok...I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
The inlet is over the turbo lip all around, it's just not backed in all the way. There's about a 1 inch collar for the inlet but we only got it to fit about half way. It does have a clamp on there sealing it. He said there's no danger in it pooping off since it's suction.
I emphatically disagree with that statement. As i mentioned earlier a leak in this area will cause incorrect MAF sensor reading.

And you meant "popping" off right? Unless that hose can defecate.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
414 Posts
you'll be fine with the inlet hose as long as you can get enough on there and clamp it. mine's the same way (same turbo w/ perrin inlet). as for the y-pipe, you'll need an elbow made for an sti (samco, ebay, whatever) as they are longer. if it's too long, you can always trim it.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you'll be fine with the inlet hose as long as you can get enough on there and clamp it. mine's the same way (same turbo w/ perrin inlet). as for the y-pipe, you'll need an elbow made for an sti (samco, ebay, whatever) as they are longer. if it's too long, you can always trim it.
That means I'll need the full cast sti y pipe kit right? The sti elbows I've seen are just the 90 elbow meant for the cast y pipes. I need to see if the sti y pipe will fit my tmic - it's forester specific but I think it's because of the mounting points.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what kind of tmic setup do you currently have? does the y-pipe look like either of the ones in the following pic?

Mine looks like the bottom right. It's the stock Forester cast pieces with a perrin y pipe on a forester turboxs tmic. If the sti ypipe connectors (cast parts that attach to intercooler) are the same as the forester's than it should fit without a problem.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
414 Posts
you could do what's depicted int he following pic, but unless you flare the ends of the stint and use t-clamps, it will pop off quite easily:

to be honest, i don't recall if the fxt y-pipe will mate up to the sti, for some reason i think the sti ports are spaced a tad wider. can always pick up one of the ebay pipes above, and offset the cost by selling the perrin unit. *shrug*

if you do end up getting one of the ebay ones above (or another), try to pick out the one with the longest 90* elbow, even if it's just one side that's longer. as stated earlier, can always trim it to size. also, the gaskets that come with those are less than adequate. you can still use them, but i would apply a generous layer of silicone sealant, smooth it out to the best of your ability, and let it set (i did one side at a time). this will provide the seal that you need.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm getting an ebay one right now. I just hope the ports mate up to the tmic.....if not I threw away 40 bucks - 20 if i sell it.

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
you'll be fine with the inlet hose as long as you can get enough on there and clamp it. mine's the same way (same turbo w/ perrin inlet).
Definitely, but what I didn't like was the tuners' nonchalant attitude toward the chance of it popping off. It will cause issues, that's all i'm trying to say.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you could do what's depicted int he following pic, but unless you flare the ends of the stint and use t-clamps, it will pop off quite easily:

to be honest, i don't recall if the fxt y-pipe will mate up to the sti, for some reason i think the sti ports are spaced a tad wider. can always pick up one of the ebay pipes above, and offset the cost by selling the perrin unit. *shrug*

if you do end up getting one of the ebay ones above (or another), try to pick out the one with the longest 90* elbow, even if it's just one side that's longer. as stated earlier, can always trim it to size. also, the gaskets that come with those are less than adequate. you can still use them, but i would apply a generous layer of silicone sealant, smooth it out to the best of your ability, and let it set (i did one side at a time). this will provide the seal that you need.
I read on Nasioc that the sti y-pipe will not fit on a tmic meant for a Forester. So I'm gonna modify my y pipe like shown above. I also bought a longer coupler since the perrin ones are annoyingly short.

·
Registered
2008 Forester 2.5XT
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything is bolted in and installed. Tomorrow I get tuned. WE'll see how far we can push the psi with 1000cc's while keeping it safe. I definitively don't want a rebuild anytime soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts