Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2023 Forester Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently leased a new Forester Sport, my first one, car is nothing short of amazing! I noticed the other day that if I just tap up on the wiper blade handle for a half a second, the wiper blades move up about an inch or two and stop, to retract them, I would just tap again. I can’t find anything in the manual about this, so is this some kind of hidden feature to make it easier to clear snow from the base of the windshield by just getting the wiper blades slightly out of the way? If I lift the wiper blade handle and hold it a couple seconds, the wipers work as expected. Any thoughts on this???

· Registered
2022 Forester Sport
105 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is a "feature". As in, it's probably a bug. I don't see any advantage in just moving the wipers an inch or two for clearing snow. It's far easier to clear snow with the wipers lifted off of the windshield. The rear wiper also doesn't respond well to a quick flick of the switch.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
2,051 Posts
if you move the wiper lever upwards against its spring stop and let go, you are supposed to get one full wipe of the wipers then they stay off. Does your car do that OK? I can imagine that if you move the lever at lightning speed and let go in less than a tenth of a second (or ?), the wipers might not have left their "parked/off" zone, and the behavior you describe might be normal. But it's never happened to me accidentally. If you can't get the "one full wipe" from one poke upwards, something is definitely wrong.

· Registered
2012 Subaru Forester XT Touring
50 Posts
It’s not a feature. Like whobodym said, you get one full swipe of the wipers when you tap up on the lever. It happens to my 2012, but on mine I pull back on the lever. If I do it too fast, and not a full pull back on the lever it’ll just bump the wipers up like in your description. It’s not broken either. Just have to make sure you push up on the lever all the way till it’s stops for a second or too, if you flick it lightly it just jostles them then you gotta hit the lever again to make them do full swing and have them go back to their parked position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts