Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2023 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I had the dealer install remote starter on my new Sport Forester. I didn't want to rely on the app to start since sometimes I go camping and have no cell reception. Has anyone else had this done, and if so did the dealer install the "official" Subaru starter, or an aftermarket brand? I've had so-so experiences with starters in previous vehicles and wanted the most compatible starter installed this time, which is why I went with the dealer installation. It appears they added a Compustar starter with the generic fob.. the Forester manual and online resources have shown a Subaru branded fob which I assume is what they would support. The starter works, just wondering what others' experiences have been.

Gadget Rectangle Font Audio equipment Camera
Grey Fixture Auto part Gas Font

· Registered
2017 Forester Premium
3,249 Posts
I love mine, but its like that first or middle one with the circular loop, made dealer install it before i would buy the car :)

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
3,067 Posts
I guess you shouldn't have assumed the dealership would install a Subaru remote start. You possibly paid the same price, but got an aftermarket remote kit.

With dealers, you generally have to be very specific and adamant, or they are going to do what benefits their bottom line.

Some are better.

Some are worse. As in installing something other than what you explicitly told them. In that case you have every right to make them correct the issue at their expense.

You could ask them about their not installing a Subaru kit, as you thought that's what you were getting, they might swap it as a courtesy, they might give you the runaround.

If it matters enough to you (?):

You could try starting a complaint with SOA, if the dealership doesn't help. Not sure if it will help, but might hold some water as far as customer satisfaction with what you expected to receive vs what you got. They might pressure the dealership to make it right for you.

Whether or not what you got is better or worse than the Subaru kit, I don't know. I don't use remote start to much.

· Registered
2023 Forester Wilderness
24 Posts
It better go with the aftermarket remote starter. Have a better range than the dealer
i use to have it on my crosstrek it was terrible range. I can’t even start the car from my house to side walk right outside the house

· Registered
18 Forester Limited 19 Forester Premium
1,148 Posts
The Subaru branded remote starter was installed on my 2014 Outback and 2019 Forester (center/left fob). I had no issues starting the Outback from my office in an industrial building to the car in a lot 400+ foot away. Can't tell you all that much about how it works in the Forester, as it rarely gets used these days.

· Registered
2023 Forester Premier Cascade Green Silica
175 Posts
So as a consumer a PROPERLY installed aftermarket starter has several advantages over the Subaru starter. The subaru starter is limited to 2 starts before you have to drive the car or start it with the key to reset it. The run time is limited to 10 minutes. Neither of those limitations exist with an aftermarket starter. As someone mentioned the range on the factory one is also not near as good as what you can get in the aftermarket. The most popular starter I was selling this winter would do 6000ft, the subaru one tops out at about 400-500ft in most instances. Also the one button from the dealer I dont believe is 2 way, where as in the aftermarket you have that option. In the OPs case even if the one they got isnt 2 way or long range its as simple as a remote pack change which will come with an new antenna and then they would have those features along with things like a timer mode start which is great if you cant plug the vehicle in and will leave it in extreme cold for an extended period of time

· Registered
175 Posts
When you have a two way and you start the car or lock the doors or whatever the remote has an indicator that will show you the command was completed successfully. So if you are in a shopping Center for example and you can’t see your car you will get verification that you started the vehicle.

· Registered
2023 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
another reason I wish they had installed the OEM.. the one I got is a one-way. So far it has worked every time I press the button, but would love to have the harmony of both being designed by Subaru (if the starter actually is). The thing that bothers me the most, besides losing the starting functionality with my Forester fobs, is that after I remote start I can only unlock the doors with the starter fob. There's no key (keyless entry), door handle doesn't work, and the Forester fobs don't unlock while running. Defeats the purpose of being able to stow the key, walk up and go.

· Registered
2023 Forester Wilderness
94 Posts
When you have a two way and you start the car or lock the doors or whatever the remote has an indicator that will show you the command was completed successfully. So if you are in a shopping Center for example and you can’t see your car you will get verification that you started the vehicle.
The OEM is two-way. Has been since at least 2012 when I had it on my Outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
175 Posts
another reason I wish they had installed the OEM.. the one I got is a one-way. So far it has worked every time I press the button, but would love to have the harmony of both being designed by Subaru (if the starter actually is). The thing that bothers me the most, besides losing the starting functionality with my Forester fobs, is that after I remote start I can only unlock the doors with the starter fob. There's no key (keyless entry), door handle doesn't work, and the Forester fobs don't unlock while running. Defeats the purpose of being able to stow the key, walk up and go.
This is definitely my biggest pet peeve with the aftermarket, is the loss of proximity unlocking, kind of a pain in the butt. As others have stated, I was wrong in thinking the subaru one was a one way, you can however upgrade yours to a two way, it means spending money on a remote pack but at least it wouldnt require an entirely new unit. I think I would be going back to the dealer though to try to get them to help out with this cost wise

· Registered
2019 Forester Base
73 Posts
I have an OEM Remote Stater on my '19 Forester and rarely use it due to the way it works. Yeah, it starts the vehicle great but the engine shuts off when I open the door to get in. Don't like the additional wear and tear on the starter & battery to restart after I get in. Just seems like Subaru has built in a feature that will require me to need to replace the starter and/or battery unnecessarily early.

· Registered
2023 Forester Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an OEM Remote Stater on my '19 Forester and rarely use it due to the way it works. Yeah, it starts the vehicle great but the engine shuts off when I open the door to get in. Don't like the additional wear and tear on the starter & battery to restart after I get in. Just seems like Subaru has built in a feature that will require me to need to replace the starter and/or battery unnecessarily early.
When my salesman was showing me the operation of my aftermarket starter, he said it would shut off upon door open. BUT it doesn't. Sometimes it has shut off when I tried to drive away without thinking, but sometimes it just lets me go.. I don't like that it's inconsistent, but it's nice when I start it once and don't need to touch anything after that lol

· Registered
2019 Forester Base
73 Posts
When my salesman was showing me the operation of my aftermarket starter, he said it would shut off upon door open. BUT it doesn't. Sometimes it has shut off when I tried to drive away without thinking, but sometimes it just lets me go.. I don't like that it's inconsistent, but it's nice when I start it once and don't need to touch anything after that lol
The after market remote start on my wife's Jeep works great. Get in, turn the key to ignition, push the brake pedal, put it in drive and away you go. The only time it will shut off is if I push the brake pedal before turning the key to ignition. All in all, seems like the right way to me.

· Registered
2018 Forester Touring 50t CVT
51 Posts
Hi All,
I had the dealer install remote starter on my new Sport Forester. I didn't want to rely on the app to start since sometimes I go camping and have no cell reception. Has anyone else had this done, and if so did the dealer install the "official" Subaru starter, or an aftermarket brand? I've had so-so experiences with starters in previous vehicles and wanted the most compatible starter installed this time, which is why I went with the dealer installation. It appears they added a Compustar starter with the generic fob.. the Forester manual and online resources have shown a Subaru branded fob which I assume is what they would support. The starter works, just wondering what others' experiences have been.

View attachment 580372 View attachment 580373
I have the dealer installed remote start. Works great. The dedicated remote has a much better range then using the cars regular fob to start it, also the press 3 times thing timing takes practice. They did not install the factory set up? Did they charge you for factory? Does your regular fob start as well? Something seems fishey….

· Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
1,039 Posts
Hope they didn't do a hatchet job on the wiring. The Subaru OEM kit is designed to be plug n play.

I had a Buick Rendezvous with a dealer installed aftermarket remote start. One day I went to start the car and it wouldn't do anything. Had AAA come out to jump it with no success even though the battery voltage tested good. Had it towed to my local Buick dealer who found burnt wiring where the remote start was tapped into the ignition circuit, requiring them to replace the entire harness in the steering column. Of course, since GM had discontinued that harness for the Aztek/Rendezvous many years prior, the dealer had to get one from a junkyard!

· Registered
2005 Forester EJ251, 2011 Forester FB25
295 Posts
As soon as I hear remote starter, I cringe. There was a time when these were popular with a certain demographic in our society. A person installed one on a manual gearbox vehicle. The car was parked in gear without the handbrake applied. The person was showing to his friends from afar and the car moved forward running over a young child.

· Registered
175 Posts
That means it was installed by a hack idiot that didnt use the proper remote starter for the job. If a proper manual transmission remote start is installed properly then the vehicle cant start in gear. Also on the newer PTS subarus you can get a 100% plug and play aftermarket kit that its actually easier to install than the subaru system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts