Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just added the Yakima EXO SwingBase with the GearLocker and LitKit on my newly installed trailer hitch. Decided to go with this option for my added storage as I hope to add a roof top tent at some point in the future.
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

I made a video about the install process and with a quick update on my trailer hitch install video:
Yakima Exo SwingBase - Subaru Forester Wilderness 2022

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when you load the vehicle way back from the axle the front end has less traction where the steering takes place. Try a 5%+ slope with some weights.
This trip so far has been to the beach so no big inclines but on the highway loaded up it has been fine. You can certainly feel the weight shift to the back. On my next trip into the mountains we’ll see if there are any traction issues.

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So after my first road trip of around 1,000 miles I have no issues to report. You can definitely feel the weight shift to the back when it's fully loaded, but I didn't notice much change to highway performance. I can still fit in parking spaces without hanging over, but I was using the forward facing camera to make sure I got right up to the front line. This was a beach trip so I didn't encounter many inclines so I will still be on the lookout to see if that impacts steering if there is a loss of front tire contact from the weigh distribution change.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
1,427 Posts
I'd be interested to know how much the front tires are unweighted. I don't know if anyone has gone through the trouble to put scales under the front tires and then load up something on the hitch. Does the rear suspension compressing take away some of the unweighting of the front tires? Do you see the front suspension coming up (I guess you could measure between the tire and fender)?

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
1,427 Posts
If there is less steering control I wonder how much of that would be due to the front wheels becoming unweighted, and how much would be due to different wheels having different amounts of grip. Maybe the front wheels would have the normal amount of grip, but your butt o meter might expect all wheels to have the increased grip that the rear wheels have due to more weight in the rear. If drivetrain power is biased towards the front that may have an effect as well.

The parts of the car and the cargo to the front of the rear axle are still pretty heavy, and the front of the car extends pretty far forwards of the rear axle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts