Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Forester Wilderness
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve read the reasoning behind the 0.3” difference between the Outback Wilderness (9.5”) and Forester Wilderness (9.2”) had something to do with “limitations during manufacturing” with the Forester in Japan.

I don’t by it.

Here’s my theory:
The Outback’s wheels are wrapped in 225/65/R17 tires while the Forester received the smaller 225/60/R17 tires on the same wheels. The difference between the two tires’ diameters is just under an inch (27.6” vs 28.5”). Had the Forester gotten the same tire size as the Outback, it would effectively give the Forester about a half-inch more ground clearance, making it higher than the Outback in terms of ride height.

My gut says that Subaru strategically needed to give the Outback the slightly higher ground clearance to maintain its product lineup hierarchy. The Forester needed to have the same or less ground clearance as the Outback, not more.

I just don’t think it had anything to do with manufacturing limitations.

Feel free to tell me I’m crazy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agreed! My Forester Wilderness sure looks like it can accommodate a larger tire. I’m sure when it comes time to replace tires some will be putting on larger tires and we will be hearing about it here!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I’ve read the reasoning behind the 0.3” difference between the Outback Wilderness (9.5”) and Forester Wilderness (9.2”) had something to do with “limitations during manufacturing” with the Forester in Japan.

I don’t by it.

Here’s my theory:
The Outback’s wheels are wrapped in 225/65/R17 tires while the Forester received the smaller 225/60/R17 tires on the same wheels. The difference between the two tires’ diameters is just under an inch (27.6” vs 28.5”). Had the Forester gotten the same tire size as the Outback, it would effectively give the Forester about a half-inch more ground clearance, making it higher than the Outback in terms of ride height.

My gut says that Subaru strategically needed to give the Outback the slightly higher ground clearance to maintain its product lineup hierarchy. The Forester needed to have the same or less ground clearance as the Outback, not more.

I just don’t think it had anything to do with manufacturing limitations.

Feel free to tell me I’m crazy
Factory thing is mildly plausible since they are built in two entirely different locations, at least for the NA market. But I never bought it.

Also consider the slightly higher center of weight the forester has, with it's higher roof line. Could be a handling factor. They could be on the edge of not meeting emergency handling qualifications e.g. moose test.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Geyser Blue
509 Posts
No. Sorry. That math doesn't work out because both the forester and the outback have not changed wheel size. Though they use different size wheels, both use the same wheel size for all trims including the wilderness. The smaller wheels on the forester wilderness would only mater if the outback started out with smaller wheels before the lift. It didn't. The wheels are not a variable in this equation. If your reasoning is the driving sports video from Subiefest he has already admitted he was mistaken.

FYI, the forester height increased by the same 0.8 inches the outback did. It was only the ground clearance that is less. Thus, my conclusion is there were subframe components that couldn't get properly lifted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@zachavm ; You and your sound, well explained logic are not welcome in this thread! GTFO!

(Haha, no seriously, thanks for your input here. What you said definitely makes sense. )

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness Geyser Blue
509 Posts
@slugoo thank you. I hope the tone of my responses was not rude. Reading through it I fear it came off that way. It was not intentional. Just trying to be clear and communicate the information accurately.

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
141 Posts
Agreed! My Forester Wilderness sure looks like it can accommodate a larger tire. I’m sure when it comes time to replace tires some will be putting on larger tires and we will be hearing about it here!
My Limited pre-lift fit 225/65R17 no problem. There's even "legend" of ppl fitting 235/65r17 with only minor rubbing on bumps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Limited pre-lift fit 225/65R17 no problem. There's even "legend" of ppl fitting 235/65r17 with only minor rubbing on bumps.
I've seen 245/65/17 on the outbackW.
I wonder if the Foresters are the same???

·
Registered
2020 Limited - Crystal white pearl
141 Posts
I've seen 245/65/17 on the outbackW.
I wonder if the Foresters are the same???
the person that said they got 235s said it was preeeeeeeeeeeetty tight.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the Wilderness models have bigger wheel wells?

The guy with the outback wilderness said he had plenty of room.

Just wondering if it's the same with the forester wilderness.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,038 Posts
Wheel wells will be the same on the respective vehicles compared to other trim levels ... The Forester Wilderness will have the same size opening as the Forester Sport, Limited, base, etc.. Same for the Outback models - there is not any change in the body stampings.

Ground clearance will be based on the lowest part of the vehicle - some suspension component most likely - and as the Forester and Outback are different vehicles with different suspension and "stuff' under the car, that's where the different ground clearance will come from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts