Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had this issue in my previous Forester (2017 Premium), but if I'm driving and I set the fan speed, A/C or whatever, then when I turn off the car and come back later, the car never "remembers" the fan settings or A/C and I have to set everything again. Is this normal? Is there a setting I'm missing that would remedy the issue? Thanks!

-- Mike

· Registered
2019 Forester Touring
324 Posts
It might be related to a saved Driver Profile. Setting a Driver Profile remembers a LOT of settings. I'm pretty sure it remembers HVAC settings too. I linked my Driver Profile to my fob as well. I have noticed that when I use my fob to unlock the door my seat and mirrors will adjust to my saved positions and I think the HVAC setting changes, too. I'm not entirely sure about that but like you, there are times where I thought it was in a different position than when I shut it off.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It might be related to a saved Driver Profile. Setting a Driver Profile remembers a LOT of settings. I'm pretty sure it remembers HVAC settings too. I linked my Driver Profile to my fob as well. I have noticed that when I use my fob to unlock the door my seat and mirrors will adjust to my saved positions and I think the HVAC setting changes, too. I'm not entirely sure about that but like you, there are times where I thought it was in a different position than when I shut it off.
Yeah, bottom line is that when I start the car up, I want the fan and ac settings to be the same as when I left them. I also don't want to have to program a "Driver Profile" or whatever, if that makes sense, haha.

Anyone else with a newer Forester having this "issue?"

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
663 Posts
Hmm, while I haven’t specifically paid attention to the AC settings, I have not noticed this. I do have a habit of turning the AC off manually before I turn the engine off, to avoid strain and wear upon restarting. No idea if that has anything to do with it. I have not messed with driver profiles or programmed anything there. I’ll pay closer attention when I have an opportunity, but me thinks that if my Wilderness had the issue you describe, it would bug me too and I would have noticed.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, while I haven’t specifically paid attention to the AC settings, I have not noticed this. I do have a habit of turning the AC off manually before I turn the engine off, to avoid strain and wear upon restarting. No idea if that has anything to do with it. I have not messed with driver profiles or programmed anything there. I’ll pay closer attention when I have an opportunity, but me thinks that if my Wilderness had the issue you describe, it would bug me too and I would have noticed.
Yeah. For instance, turn the "MAX AC" on and maybe turn the fan speed down to 3-4 bars. Turn off the car and then upon re-starting, MAX AC is off (and fan speed isn't the same as I left it?).

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have the "Auto" button pushed in on the climate controls? That will change things automatically depending on the temperature, etc.
So, admittedly, I don't fully understand exactly what the "Auto" button means when it comes to the HVAC. Is it supposed to "auto" remember my setting or something? Because I know whenever I press it, it "automatically" turns the fan to a certain setting (the highest I believe) and it does something with the AC. I end up changing the setting which then automatically turns "AUTO" off.

** As far as it being "tough to manually adjust the HVAC," that shouldn't be the issue...my 2017 Premium remembered the setting each time I shut off and turned the car on - is it too much to ask for a car to keep the same setting it was when it was turned off? Cars from the 80's and 90's had this "feature"....

· Registered
2021 Forester Touring (Canadian version)
432 Posts
From the user manual on page 269 it says: "When this mode is selected, the fan speed, airflow distribution, air-inlet control, and air conditioner compressor operation are automatically controlled." So basically, it won't remember what you set it at because that defeats the purpose of auto. If you avoid this mode then it will remember where you left things.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
From the user manual on page 269 it says: "When this mode is selected, the fan speed, airflow distribution, air-inlet control, and air conditioner compressor operation are automatically controlled." So basically, it won't remember what you set it at because that defeats the purpose of auto. If you avoid this mode then it will remember where you left things.
...Except when I "avoid" auto, it doesn't remember where I left things. I pretty much never press "auto" anyway.

So, "auto" is automatically controlled by the car? Wonder why they even bother with that setting, especially considering that whenever I press "auto," it's ALWAYS the same settings (same fan speed, AC, etc.), no matter what the conditions are....it basically just turns the fan to the highest setting.

· Registered
2021 Forester Touring (Canadian version)
432 Posts
If you have the Auto mode set to off and it still isn't remembering things then it might be worth a visit to your dealer. I never use Auto mode and I've never had the controls change on me from where I last left them.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,592 Posts
@WilderMike - The "AUTO" setting will run the AC/Heat/Whatever until the car reaches the temperature you have it set at. It sounds like you might have the temp set to "LO" (or at a relatively low temperature) which will run the AC at max settings constantly. Try setting the temperature that you are comfortable at and see if it makes a difference.

(Basically, RTFM) :rolleyes:

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@WilderMike - The "AUTO" setting will run the AC/Heat/Whatever until the car reaches the temperature you have it set at. It sounds like you might have the temp set to "LO" (or at a relatively low temperature) which will run the AC at max settings constantly. Try setting the temperature that you are comfortable at and see if it makes a difference.

(Basically, RTFM) :rolleyes:
Thanks, Jon. So, I really don't have the temperature "set" at anything - I'm not sure that's even possible (?). For now, I just have the AC on (set to "LO" as you alluded to). I assume by "set" you mean having the AC on but maybe setting the temp to 64 degrees, etc. (?). Yep, I suppose a reading of the manual might help...

For what it's worth, I still don't like the fact that the car doesn't remember what the settings were when I last left it ;).

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,592 Posts
Well, there's your problem. Use the left-most dial to set the temperature up to 70 degrees or whatever temp you're comfortable, and the system will adjust the fan settings accordingly as the cabin cools off.

If you actually set a temperature, the car will remember your settings. It defaults to "AUTO" when you start the car, so it will automatically go to the temperature you last set it at.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
663 Posts
That explains it. I always set a temperature, and I never run the AC on extreme settings, even on the hottest days here in Arizona, when it's well above 105. I usually find 74 degrees adequate. I usually turn the AC on by pushing the "Auto" button, and then adjust the temp manually. And if I remember correctly, the system keeps the settings the same each time I start the engine. One thing that has bothered me for a long time is that apparently it is not possible to simply turn on outside air flow into the cabin. Oftentimes, when I'm driving in pleasant climates, i don't want the AC, nor do I want a heater. All I want is plain, outside air to stream into the cabin. Alas, after 5 years of driving Foresters, I have not found such a setting that allows for that.

· Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
6,599 Posts
@DesertTwang At least on the older ones, like my 2001, you turn the fan OFF, and set the air flow for Outside to Inside and set the duct to Vent, at speed, you get air flow into the cabin as long as the vehicle is moving. I don't do it often here in TX, because it's either too hot or too cold, so fan is always on AC button is left ON year round and we adjust the temperature control for comfort. I can also do the same with just the FAN turned on but the AC button in the OFF position.

· Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,592 Posts
@DesertTwang - You can just get outside airflow into the cabin. (Unless they changed it for the SK models) On my SJ, if you hit the AC switch to turn the AC off, it goes into "AUTO" mode, as opposed to "FULL AUTO". In the "AUTO" mode, you can select where the air comes from using the "MODE" button, so set it to the vents. Also, if it didn't change on its own, turn the air recirculating button off. Then set the fan speed using the center dial. As long as you don't have the temperature setting on the extreme high end, the fan should stay where you set it. (For some reason, if I turned the temperature all the way up, it moved the airflow to the defroster and floor.) And if you turn the system off at that point, air will flow through the vents as you drive. There just isn't very much air flow without some fan action.

· Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, there's your problem. Use the left-most dial to set the temperature up to 70 degrees or whatever temp you're comfortable, and the system will adjust the fan settings accordingly as the cabin cools off.

If you actually set a temperature, the car will remember your settings. It defaults to "AUTO" when you start the car, so it will automatically go to the temperature you last set it at.
Thanks, Jon. So I actually pretty much never "set" a temperature. The few times that I have, I guess I'll have the AC on and turn the temp to like 64 or something.

Whenever I hit "AUTO," the fan goes to full speed and I believe the AC is on as well. If that's supposed to make the car the "set" temperature (even if it's "LO"), I wonder how long it takes before the fan turns itself to a lower setting (I sat for two full minutes yesterday with the fan and ac blowing full speed and the system didn't adjust the fan speed or temperature.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts