Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Forester Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will haul gravel and rough timber in the back of my 2022 Forester. I want a liner for the entire cargo area (i.e. rear seats down) that protects the back of the front seats, the sides, the rear hatch, and the bed

First, does this thing have a name other than "cargo liner" ?

Second, please pass on recommendations

Cheers

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
1,304 Posts
Yeah....you are asking something that doesn't exist because trucks beds exist..

However, I get it, who wants to barrow a truck right?

I got 2 ideas. As 1982 said along those lines, build box around the fold down seats. Then just line the box with spray on bed liner. You can take that out when ever you want to use the back seats.

The other idea, get a tow hitch and a cargo trailer. Assuming you have the space to keep a trailer, or want to spend that much for a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,667 Posts
Another thought - get a heavy duty tarp, especially one with grommet holes along the sides, preferably reinforced. You can find these online (Amazon, eBay) or at stores like WalMart, Harbor Freight and the like. I've purchased a few of them that I've used for camping or off-road adventures as a "floor" for the gazebo or awning.

Sleeve Collar Electric blue Font Rectangle

Then add some hooks to the side panels of the Forester. Put the tarp in, hook the grommets to those side hooks to keep it from shifting around too much and you're done.

Maybe add a few hooks to the tops of the rear seat backs (for smaller loads). You can also take a sheet of plywood and cut it to fit behind the front seat backs or build a frame from 2x4s for the same place, and have some hooks there, too. Be sure to add some sort of "feet" to the this frame or plywood to keep it steady.

One final thought - be wary of how much weight you're carrying. You don't want to overload the rear struts/shocks and have a failure that could be dangerous ... and expensive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts