Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2022 Touring color combinations

('19+) 
3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  cz9h3d 
#1 ·
According to the build-and-price tool on the subaru.com website, not all interior colors are available with all exterior colors. For example, on the Touring, Crimson Red and Crystal White only come with Saddle Brown Leather, while Ice Silver only comes with Black Leather. Why does Subaru have these limitations? If I wanted Ice Silver with Brown Leather, is there any way I could get that combination?

#2 ·
Ask your dealer. Sometimes they can do special orders. But also don't be surprised if they say no.
Manufacturer's like to limit their variants they have to manage through the supply chain. There are all sorts of things coded in serial numbers and other systems that maybe limit how they handle it.

Gray+Brown is maybe pretty similar?
I am on my second Black+Brown, also quite nice.

#3 ·
As to "why" = it's just because of how they line up interior and exterior color combinations. For example, on other trim levels, there are limits on exterior color combined with interior colors. It's just a manufacturing design choice. Blame it on the design teams.

As to "can I" - then the question is "no" - with the caveat that YES it is possible, if you throw enough money at the problem. You could (after you take delivery of your 2022 Touring), you could possible pay the dealer to swap out the interiors...

But blame the "lack" of choice on designers and public demand.

#6 ·
At the other extreme, having done an EU delivery of an Audi in 2014 (sadly no longer available to Americans), I got to choose any of 4 interior colors with any of a dozen exterior colors, and two convertible top colors. Thus I own a car I've never seen a duplicate of, even today. The only penalty was having to pay about 125% of the total price of the car up front in cash, months before we took delivery. (The 25% extra was EU VAT tax, which was promptly refunded to us once it was documented that the car had left Europe on the transport to America.)

#7 · (Edited)
I'm honestly not sure. I used to think it was to make sure the combinations looked good together. However, they changed things up with the red. 2021 red was only available with all black interior. 2022 red is only available with brown interior. It doesn't make any sense to me.

As for why they have limitations at all, it is a manufacturing strategy to reduce cost. Subaru intentionally limits the possible vehicle combinations in production. Accessories are all designed so they can be installed or changed after production, but they strictly limit the variability of features and trims. This is to simplify production, reduce overall costs, and limit mistakes. Yeah, I hate it too, but thems the breaks.

With the introduction of the Wilderness, there are now a TON of features that you have to choose to give up when picking a trim. Want a wilderness? Then you can't get memory seats, a heated steering wheel, or other Touring exclusive features. Want a touring? Then you can't get the front view camera, lower gear ratios, or improved towing. I am very much hoping they remedy that and release a Wilderness Touring.

#8 ·
It's why I went with a black exterior instead of Magnetite gray, because I did not want another vehicle with a black interior. The last few I had were black interiors, so it was getting old for me. And I really like the two tone gray. It has grown on me even more after I've had it a while.
But if I could have gotten the interior I wanted, I would have went with the Magnetite or maybe the Sepia Bronze.
The Crystal Silica Black has also grown on me. I get a lot of compliments from random people. I guess for a bone stock car, that's at least something.

2021 red was only available with all black interior. 2022 red is only available with brown interior. It doesn't make any sense to me.
The '21 Limited Red was available with the two tone gray also. It was one of my second choice options because of that. If the red was a bit more vibarnt, like Mazda's, it might have been my choice.

Not sure about the other lower trim levels. Touring of course was Black or Saddle Brown. Another reason why I went with the Limited.

In the end, you might need to compromise a little to get something closer to your flavor. At least for me, it wasn't a deal breaker. I guess i am not that fickle.

#9 ·
In most cases, it is to limit potential production errors, as mentioned, and for production line simplicity. In that regard, I wonder if they schedule runs based on production trims (Monday = all Sport, Tuesday = Touring, etc.) rather than just moving anything/everything down in any sporadic order line up (a Sport, a Limited, a Touring, a Wilderness, another Touring, a base, a Premium, a Premium, etc.).

But some of the options as Zach mentions is more towards the perceived target audience and also (to a lesser extent) an intended exclusivity. For the most part, the "look wow" of the front camera is not going to be used by the typical owner of a Limited or Touring, but it is a bit more crucial and important to off-roading crowd (where the Wilderness is aimed) to be able to see over that ridge you're creeping up and over.

And then the flip side is also that the typical Wilderness owner will probably have less need for dual memory seats and other Touring features. While some of those features could be useful across the lineup (just like heated seats), the perceived audience may not want them due to cost or complexity.

Remember when you could get ANYTHING from ANY TRIM at ANY TIME?

#11 ·
Didn't see this post until now. We ordered our 2022 White Touring with black leather. When the website went live, we called the dealer and confirmed that we did indeed get the black leather since it did not look like you could on the website. so YES! apparently you can order it. I'll confirm once I pick it up in the next few weeks!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.