Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,358 Posts
Oh, you mean marketing demand and competition drives what manufacturers offer?

Well, who could have ever possibly figured that out?

Obviously, you haven’t read this entire thread … that’s kinda what most of us have been saying all along…

Its what LOTS of buyers want and demand, not what 5% of potential buyers want. For reference, ask why you can’t get a Forester XT model in the NA market since 2018.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,577 Posts
Well, many of the mentioned options would have to be manufacturer installed. Cameras, smart mirror, and power side mirrors all have extensive wires and parts that need to be part of the assembly line process. An example here is that auto dimming side mirrors and rear view mirrors (despite being lable as accessories) are manufacture installed and not dealer installed.
Not for the most part. When it comes to ancillary electronics, occasionally there are harness extensions for certain things that need to invasively installed (judging by forum posts, Eyesight is one of those that makes it a no-go to install or remove), but most of the time it's more efficient to use the same harness for every car, regardless if the accessory is there from the factory. Which is why you find the connector already there for things like hitch wiring, fog lights, and auto-dimming mirrors.

For your exterior mirror example, the harness for the auto-dimming/approach light mirrors is already there. It's a 10 minute job.
(69) ('19+) - 2020 - Auto-dimming mirrors pre wired? | Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Also someone on the Outback forum:
2019: Replacing side mirrors with approach light auto-dimming mirrors | Subaru Outback Forums

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,577 Posts
Oh, you mean marketing demand and competition drives what manufacturers offer?

Well, who could have ever possibly figured that out?

Obviously, you haven’t read this entire thread … that’s kinda what most of us have been saying all along…

Its what LOTS of buyers want and demand, not what 5% of potential buyers want. For reference, ask why you can’t get a Forester XT model in the NA market since 2018.
That.

This forum is a microcosm of Forester buyers, so not indicative of Forester owners as a whole. My aforementioned (jokingly) "whining about the lack of turbo" making up a third of the posts on this forum, even if that were accurate and not a joke for effect, would translate probably to quite a bit less than 1% of owners. That's not 'enough customers' to sway anything in most data sets. That's just lost in the margin of error.

Personally, I'd love an EZ36 (or newly-developed flat-6 based on the FA/FB) Forester. But that desire is even more statistically insignificant to Subaru, so I just shrug my shoulders and get on with life.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,358 Posts
I don’t think many people understand that when extra options and features are offered, they must also be supported by a parts and service network, In the US, that means a LOT of territory and large number of dealerships. While some may think this aspect is insignificant, it isn’t.

And, as these options increase in complexity, so does the incidence of support.

Its a certainty that these aspects figure into feature/option offerings, especially when only a few buyers actually want them.

Just like flat-screen TV set sizes… lots of folks admire a 100” ultra-hi-def TV, but few are actually willing to buy one. Still, a service and support network must be in place to support them.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD
627 Posts
When I bought my Touring I was surprised that it did not have rain sensing wipers. I understand that previous Foresters had them. Is this true? It seems to me that the inclusion of this feature would be entirely a software addition and therefore rather inexpensive. (I assume that eyesight would see the rain drops, and the wipers are already controlled electronically.)
No Subaru Forester sold in the US had or has rain sensing wipers. I believe the only model Subaru offers with them is the Touring trim of the Ascent.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
We can debunk the myth that all vehicles are pre-wired for all options right away ... Just take a look at the number of posts about SJ generation folks wanting to upgrade from their non-LED headlamp units to the LED "C-shape" units from the Touring or from different years in the same generation... Look at posts about wanting to swap out head units and it won't work because they do not have that connector on their car that is required to make it work.

Yes, in some cases, a single wiring harness may be used for all models (all Foresters, for example) but there comes a point where the optional accessory uses a different connector and a different plug set to get that accessory or feature to work. Look at the posts where somebody has found the magic key (well, more like the magic wire and pin) to get something else to work.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,577 Posts
Yup. Nobody stated that all vehicles are prewired for all options. (at least, I didn't) That would fall under the 'for the most part' caveat. That means mostly the optional items (accessories) that can often be checkboxes on the build list. Headlights are pretty much never one of those checkboxes. They are not an accessory.

The checkbox that exists for the infotainment is typically an encompassing one that includes the Harman Kardon system. That falls under the 'invasive' category. Generally, carmakers are also making it less friendly to install aftermarket infotainment as the safety systems (Eyesight and Starlink, for example) become more integrated and less siloed.

Simpler things like mirrors and hitches are easy. 360 deg. cameras, I have no knowledge of how Subaru handles those, but I'd guess they are fairly integrated, to @zachavm 's point, perhaps not as likely to be plug and play.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem CVT
132 Posts
I honestly think the SK is the ugliest & weirdest gen Forester Subaru has ever made. Even the SH was nicer except the crappy interior. I like the SJ the best.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
I'm looking at the wheels on the picture of the Sport trim. It looks like those are the same that are currently on the Premium trim, just painted. The Premium trim has 17's and the current Sport has 18's. I wonder if the new Sport is scaling down to 17's
Don't read anything into it. That is the same wheels used in the X-Break trim (Japanese name for the sport) last model year. What you can probably read into is that the wheels on the second picture are probably the new touring wheels.

·
Registered
2016 2.5S auto
255 Posts
Oh dear.....what were they thinking.

@OkkyM
A backward step design wise. It is now well and truly behind the pack looks wise. That front belongs in a Transformers movie.

I would substitute "UGLY" for "SNAPPY"

Head of styling at Subaru should be sent on long service leave!.....talk about a hideous front!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,373 Posts
Could you elaborate. To my eyes there is some detail change around the fog lights, and for the rest its quasi identical to other SK gen models.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you define as "quasi identical"....

2022 Forester (not sure of trim level)

2021 Forester Sport

• The front fascia and headlamps are totally different with the headlamps taking on a "single wide" look vs the previous "double wide".
  • There is also more of a detail line beneath the headlamp unit and a redesign to the lower section of the fascia....
  • There is the silver painted section (to mimic a skid plate) that is more pronounced...
  • The headlamp has a double LED look - the boomerang around the side and across the top and then a row of individual LEDs across the bottom of the lamp - possibly for the high-beams?
  • The "underbite" look of the current lower fascia is less pronounced and doesn't have as much of a bulldog kind of look..

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
Well, I realize it's not a huge change - as the 2022 is just a mid-cycle refresh - so there's no change to the body or the hood or the major stampings, just a change to the add on bits - the fascia, the lights... So yes, it still is the same basic but it is still pretty different...

kind of like a change in glasses (sun or prescription) - it's changes the look but you've still go the same face.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring - silver
52 Posts
I think I like the new grill. The (almost) lack of chrome spreading from center makes it different from the many other SUVs out there.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,073 Posts
Oh dear.....what were they thinking.

@OkkyM
A backward step design wise. It is now well and truly behind the pack looks wise. That front belongs in a Transformers movie.

I would substitute "UGLY" for "SNAPPY"

Head of styling at Subaru should be sent on long service leave!.....talk about a hideous front!
Good grief. Those wheels looks terribad!

141 - 159 of 159 Posts