Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
144 Posts
The way they tweaked the front end makes it look more like a 7/8 scale Ascent. Not bad.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
615 Posts
After looking everything over for a day or so, here are my predictions for what this announcement tells us about what is coming to the US version
  • The body changes (other than for the wilderness) will be the same as what was announced. This includes everything like lights, grill, and wheels.
  • The new eyesight system will be the same as what was announced.
  • The Brown on Black Nappa leather interior will replace the current Saddle Brown leather interior on the touring.
  • The interior displays and instrument cluster will be unchanged as with what was announced.
  • The sport trim will move to StarTex seats instead of the sport cloth.
  • The new color options will match the US options. Jasper Green and Sepia Bronze will be replaced with Autumn Green and Brilliant Bronze (currently available for the Outback). The new Cascade Green Silica (Forester Green) will come to the US too, but could be exclusive to the wilderness trim.
  • The upgraded suspension (whatever that means) will come to the US.
I think there will be plenty of other new things announced, but this is just what I'm predicting based on Japan's changes. Also I didn't mention things their models already had that I'm hoping we get. For instance, a front view camera, 3 position heated seats, a camera based rear view mirror, and the CB18 Turbo engine (if not the FA24D). Even if it was planned though, it is possible supply issues (chip shortage) nix some/all of these things.
Subaru has been slow on the front/side camera game even though the JDM version has had some form of it for years now. Pretty disappointing they've been lagging in this department when they've had the equipment to do so. Especially when so many other mainstream manufacturers are going all in on it, at least for higher trim levels.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
Side note, I think my calculations from earlier in the thread of the length of the refreshed model (4 inches longer) proved to be wrong. I looked at the Japanese documentation and I think it is only 0.5" longer than the previous year. This isn't a for sure thing as the spy shot could be using a unique wilderness front bumper, but I think more than likely my calculated differences were just by differences in perspective between the two photos.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That author really doesn't know what they are talking about. They seem to think the X-Break trim in Japan is their version of what will become the wilderness trim here in the US. He has no clue it has existed here for three years as the sport trim.

There also is an off-road-themed X-Break model that looks primed to make the jump to America as the latest addition to the brand's Wilderness trim, which recently debuted on the 2022 Outback. The Subaru Outback Wilderness gets a lifted suspension, knobby tires, and—critically present on the Forester X-Break—orange interior and exterior accents, as well as waterproof seats. When will we see the 2022 Subaru Forester in the U.S.? Likely soon, given how 2022 model Subaru vehicles are inching their way into the brand's U.S. model line. This includes the aforementioned Outback, as well as the new BRZ sport

·
Registered
229 Posts
Subaru has been slow on the front/side camera game even though the JDM version has had some form of it for years now. Pretty disappointing they've been lagging in this department when they've had the equipment to do so. Especially when so many other mainstream manufacturers are going all in on it, at least for higher trim levels.
I was just looking at the a new Japanese Crosstrek announced this morning and holy crap!!! Even the freak'n Crosstrek has both a front and side view camera over there. What gives Subaru? Why do you think we in the US don't want/need the cameras?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was just looking at the a new Japanese Crosstrek announced this morning and holy crap!!! Even the freak'n Crosstrek has both a front and side view camera over there. What gives Subaru? Why do you think we in the US don't want/need the cameras?
They announced a new Crosstrek?

And yeah at least on the Forester, they've had the side view camera available since at least the SJ body for the JDM model. That and auto mirror folding. I don't know why they won't bring them over as options at least.

·
Registered
229 Posts
They announced a new Crosstrek?

And yeah at least on the Forester, they've had the side view camera available since at least the SJ body for the JDM model. That and auto mirror folding. I don't know why they won't bring them over as options at least.
I don't think so, it appear to just be a new trim.

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
295hp, 295 ft lbs of torque, 37 miles of range?! Looks like they are borrowing the RAV4 Prime platform to incorporate into the Forester. I'd be on board with this.

PHEV! Subaru's new Forester EVOLTIS is also planned!
https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/c/carislife/20171116/20171116102926.jpg

▼ Subaru new Forester PHV engine and specifications

• Horizontally opposed 4-cylinder 2L "FA20" + rear electric motor
    Maximum output
    : 300ps / 5600rpm Maximum torque: 40.8kgm / 2000-4800rpm
  • Transmission: CVT "Lineartronic" with manual mode
  • Drive system: 4WD "Symmetrical Motor AWD"
The new Forester is scheduled to be equipped with a plug-in hybrid model version "Forester EVOLTIS" as a new generation powertrain.

The new Forester PHV is equipped with a horizontally-opposed engine combined with a hybrid system provided by Toyota, which has a cooperative relationship.

The EV cruising range, which runs only on electric motors, is expected to be set to about 60km, and it will be possible to run on electricity alone in daily life.

What is the "Symmetrical Motor AWD" of the new Forester PHV?

The new Forester PHV will be equipped with the "Symmetrical Motor AWD," which was announced under the concept "SUBARU VIZIV FUTURE CONCEPT."

"Symmetrical motor AWD" uses an electric motor to drive the rear tires, eliminating the propeller shaft that transmits the driving force to the rear.

This will expand the interior space and improve fuel efficiency by using regenerative energy for driving.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That would be intriguing but I'm really curious to see how the AWD will really differ from the RAV4 Prime, since its setup is not competitive with mechanical AWD systems.

Also good that Subaru would consider keeping the FA20 alive, since the WRX is moving to the FA24 and the FXT is dead.

That being said, what's the source for the above article/rumor?

·
Premium Member
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,632 Posts
That would be intriguing but I'm really curious to see how the AWD will really differ from the RAV4 Prime, since its setup is not competitive with mechanical AWD systems.

Also good that Subaru would consider keeping the FA20 alive, since the WRX is moving to the FA24 and the FXT is dead.

That being said, what's the source for the above article/rumor?
Has a lot of accurate information on the announced Forester changes so it seems legit but don't count my chickens until they hatch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
295hp, 295 ft lbs of torque, 37 miles of range?! Looks like they are borrowing the RAV4 Prime platform to incorporate into the Forester. I'd be on board with this.

PHEV! Subaru's new Forester EVOLTIS is also planned!
https://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/c/carislife/20171116/20171116102926.jpg

▼ Subaru new Forester PHV engine and specifications

• Horizontally opposed 4-cylinder 2L "FA20" + rear electric motor
    Maximum output
    : 300ps / 5600rpm Maximum torque: 40.8kgm / 2000-4800rpm
  • Transmission: CVT "Lineartronic" with manual mode
  • Drive system: 4WD "Symmetrical Motor AWD"
The new Forester is scheduled to be equipped with a plug-in hybrid model version "Forester EVOLTIS" as a new generation powertrain.

The new Forester PHV is equipped with a horizontally-opposed engine combined with a hybrid system provided by Toyota, which has a cooperative relationship.

The EV cruising range, which runs only on electric motors, is expected to be set to about 60km, and it will be possible to run on electricity alone in daily life.

What is the "Symmetrical Motor AWD" of the new Forester PHV?

The new Forester PHV will be equipped with the "Symmetrical Motor AWD," which was announced under the concept "SUBARU VIZIV FUTURE CONCEPT."

"Symmetrical motor AWD" uses an electric motor to drive the rear tires, eliminating the propeller shaft that transmits the driving force to the rear.

This will expand the interior space and improve fuel efficiency by using regenerative energy for driving.
Though definitely intriguing, I can't find any other mention of anything close to this anywhere else online. I'm going to say this is probably not true.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
112 Posts
I'm surprised they have not switched to the new 11.6" infotainment screen currently found in the Outback.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
That will probably be with the next generation... To add that big beast would require a major change to the dash & center stack...

·
Registered
2016 2.5S auto
255 Posts
Loving this interior. I really hope this is the new touring interior. It was great before, but I'm digging the changes.

@straphanger322 I don't think we can take anything from this announcement for Japan as what will come to the us. The current engine here isn't even sold in the US. They use the 2.0L that is in the Crosstrek here. They could bring the 1.8L Turbo or they could bring the full on 2.4L Turbo, or nothing. Honestly my guess at this point is we do get the 2.4L Turbo because it seems the Wilderness edition really needs something strong to satisfy their goals with it.

Anyway, while the US version will likely look very different, there are a few things we can take form this. The overall body changes and the eyesight upgrades will almost certainly carry over. It doesn't look like they brought a full digital display to any of the trims so I doubt we get that. Got to read up some more.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,816 Posts
I'm surprised they have not switched to the new 11.6" infotainment screen currently found in the Outback.
I hope they don't! It's distracting operating the climate control system via touch screen. A good example of where bigger is not better.

81 - 100 of 159 Posts