Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
221 - 240 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
pricing and other info was released today.

Interesting notes -
  • like the Japanese models that were reported a few weeks ago, the fog lights and certain front accents change per trim level
  • the newer eyesight ver 4 cameras are included, which add some functionality to eyesight.
  • all trims with roof rails get increased dynamic/static load and more tie down points
  • towing capacity is up to 3000lbs with standard Trailer Stability Assist

Foglights/Front Fascia:
"The entire 2022 Forester lineup receives a bolder new look with a redesigned front fascia, grille, headlights and fog light covers, with each change element varying to match the character of each trim level."

Eyesight:
"The 2022 Forester also comes standard with the latest version of EyeSight Driver Assist Technology. The enhanced system improves overall performance and operates under a broader range of conditions thanks to a wider field of view and improved control software. For the Premium with option package, and all higher trim levels, EyeSight includes new Automatic Emergency Steering. The new feature works in conjunction with the Pre-Collision Braking System to assist with steering control to help avoid a collision at speeds less than 50 mph."

New Roof Rails:
"Forester’s legendary versatility is also improved for 2022 with a new ladder-type roof rail design. The improved rail system offers a higher dynamic load capacity (220 lb. vs. 176 lb.) and an 800-lb static load limit (vs. 700 lb.), allowing safe use of a roof-top tent. Helpful tie-down locations have also been integrated into the rails. "

Towing Capacity:
NOTE: doesn't say it's just for the wilderness in the press release, it's under the general section. Could use some clarification as it may vary by trim level.
"All Forester models are powered by a 2.5-liter SUBARU BOXER® engine teamed with a Lineartronic® CVT and Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. The direct-injection engine produces 182 hp and 176 lb-ft of torque. The Forester is a highly efficient SUV, delivering up to 33 mpg EPA-estimated highway fuel economy. The compact SUV also offers up to 3,000-lb. towing capacity and features standard Trailer Stability Assist."

Pricing:

2022 Subaru Forester
TrimTransmissionApplicable OptionsMSRPMSRP + Destination & Delivery ($1,125)
ForesterCVT01, 02$25,195$26,320
Forester PremiumCVT11, 15$28,195$29,320
Forester SportCVT21, 24$29,765$30,890
Forester WildernessCVT21, 22$32,820$33,945
Forester LimitedCVT31, 32$31,875$33,000
Forester TouringCVT41$35,295$36,420

2022 Subaru Forester Option Packages
Forester
CODE 01: Standard ModelN/A
CODE 02: Alloy Wheel Package + Roof Rails$625
Forester Premium
CODE 11: Standard ModelN/A
CODE 15: BSD/RCTA + Power Rear Gate$1,165
Forester Sport
CODE 21: Standard ModelN/A
CODE 24: RAB + 8-inch Multimedia Plus + Harman
Kardon Speaker System + Power Rear Gate
$1,645
Forester Wilderness
CODE 21: Standard ModelN/A
CODE 22: 8-inch Multimedia Plus + Harman
Kardon Premium Speaker System + Power Rear Gate
$1,850
Forester Limited
CODE 31: Standard ModelN/A
CODE 32: RAB + 8-inch Multimedia with Nav + Harman Kardon Speaker System + Heated Steering Wheel$1,695
Forester Touring
CODE 41: Standard ModelN/A

Press release attached

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
This goes beyond "coolness". It seems it's getting the same treatment as the Outback, so it should have better approach and departure angles, altered programming for off-roading, etc. Personally, I see this as an alternative for some who may have been interested in lifting a new Forester and may have been worried about related, future warranty claims being denied.

Personally, I think the cladding is hideous but the other changes would be interesting to me if I was in the market for myself for that very reason.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,236 Posts
Yeah, not much of a fan of the shape and style of those new body-side panels for the Wilderness... While I agree it gives the Forester Wilderness a more tough, butch look, but the shape is odd (rounded at the front edge, squared on the rear edge) and the trim on the new front fascia is too clunky and chunky.

I wish that there was a way to get most of the Wilderness updates (different final drive, stronger roof rack) and still keep lower-profile look of a Limited and able to keep a lighter colored interior (that black, sorry DARK Gray) interior is not going to be too comfortable in warmer sunnier climates; a reason I don't own a Sport trim level.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather Wilderness look like the other trims without the cladding. I'd prefer painted bumpers, etc.

Personally, I think a badge and subtle hints due to the reshaping of the bumpers to accommodate the improved departure / approach angles, the lift and so on would be enough to let people know there is something different about it. Keeping some of the sophistication or civilized look if you will.

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, the higher towing rating seems to be only the wilderness trim, and the higher static load limit for the roof rails is only on the wilderness as well (dynamic is still the same between the models).

No mention of trailer stability assist, and no mention of the newer x-mode features in the wilderness. I guess that's what a revision would be for, right? Didn't see anything about a different display for vehicle information like the outback wilderness has (pitch and roll level indicators). Not even a mention of the extra recovery hook points. Ah well, less of a nifty surprise I guess.

Here are the 2022 manuals that just showed up.... sometimes they'll disappear for a bit before showing up again, or the document name will change which breaks a link, so they're attached instead of linked.

Link to the starlink infotainment manual too although it doesn't look changed, I haven't compared the two in depth. Also no guarantees this link won't break in the future, only takes one document revision :)

Attachments

·
Registered
Future 2022 Forester Wilderness Owner
320 Posts
Didn't see anything about a different display for vehicle information like the outback wilderness has (pitch and roll level indicators)
I THINK (don't have one to check) the current Forester already has that display option. Here it is mentioned in the new manual.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

higher static load limit for the roof rails is only on the wilderness as well (dynamic is still the same between the models).
I think this is wrong. They have already said the Wilderness has a dynamic load rating of 220 lbs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think this is wrong. They have already said the Wilderness has a dynamic load rating of 220 lbs.
well, the press release said it, no other mention in the other press kit docs. Here the owner's manual doesn't show that... so something isn't right. I'd expect the owner's manual to go through one or two minor revisions before that manual shows up at the vehicle resources section of the subaru main site, so that might be one of the things corrected/added.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
274 Posts
If you have access to STIS, the '22 Forester "New Car Information" document has been posted along with the service manual. It's a treasure trove of highly detailed info on all the mods done to the Wilderness and the changes for the rest of the lineup. The really interesting one is always the for first year of a generation. The 2019 Forester NCI is over 800 pages!

Here's the summary (with apologies to SOA)........
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Material property Screenshot Paper Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Reactions: Move Zig

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
140 Posts
  • What? A cooling fan for the stereo camera? I work with computers every day and I'm not a fan of having cooling fan.... when I build my own computers I try to have silent system. Again this year at my work they have bought a new Dell port replicator model which come with a fan this time and sometimes we can hear it and can be annoying in a silent environnement. I know it's usually kind of noisy in a car with road noise, wind noise and music so it should not be an issue. I hope fan RPM is also restricted to not blow like an hair dryer if EyeSight system CPU get too hot. Anyway sorry I was paniced reading this. Maybe it will only kick in when the cabin gets too hot with system being exposed to the sun most of the time.

• Some will be happy to read that the lane centering asssist have been improved. I remember reading a topic here with many complaining about it.

• Seems DriverFocus have been improved too, first time we are getting this, I'm curious how well it works. The main reason I want it is for all the seat adjustments, mirrors and memory settings.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
260 Posts
"The headlight shapes and position lights have been designed to match the character of each grade"

That is going to make ordering crash replacement fun. I'll bet insurance premiums will also have an added hidden fee, since the availability of used headlights will not be across the entire platform.

It's impressive that they would go to the expense, but it also has that downside.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So planet Subaru page just got updated and I noticed it said that the Wilderness has dual zone climate control. I thought it was a mistake because I never saw it mentioned on the press release or the documentation, but I looked a the pictures and yep it is there. Nice! I would rather have memory seats or a heated steering wheel, but another thing is still nice.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
  • What? A cooling fan for the stereo camera? I work with computers every day and I'm not a fan of having cooling fan.... when I build my own computers I try to have silent system. Again this year at my work they have bought a new Dell port replicator model which come with a fan this time and sometimes we can hear it and can be annoying in a silent environnement. I know it's usually kind of noisy in a car with road noise, wind noise and music so it should not be an issue. I hope fan RPM is also restricted to not blow like an hair dryer if EyeSight system CPU get too hot. Anyway sorry I was paniced reading this. Maybe it will only kick in when the cabin gets too hot with system being exposed to the sun most of the time.

• Some will be happy to read that the lane centering asssist have been improved. I remember reading a topic here with many complaining about it.

• Seems DriverFocus have been improved too, first time we are getting this, I'm curious how well it works. The main reason I want it is for all the seat adjustments, mirrors and memory settings.
Who doesn't work with computers, electronics, etc. that require cooling solutions to some degree or another these days?

Cooling fans in cars for electronics is also nothing new as systems have become more complex, etc. My more than 11 year old Challenger has one for the HU which I think our Forester does too. .....or at least some do like the ones with the HK units.

Doesn't bother me at all personally. Than again, my refrigerator makes noise as do my laptops, game consoles, etc. but it really doesn't other me as it's really minimal. ......subtle white noise. The one in my car is what I might call whisper quiet as you only notice if the car is off and if it happens to turn on during that time when all else is silent.

What gets me is why does the Eyesight system now require the use of a cooling fan? Hopefully it's only because of the new, updated stereo cameras and electronics.

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
274 Posts
My thoughts exactly. This isn't how most people define "dashcam"......(again, apologies to SOA)
Automotive parking light Font Screenshot Parallel Motor vehicle

The NCI doc goes into several pages of detail on the front view camera on the Wilderness, but I'm probably tempting fate with the mods and/or SOA if I post any more of this stuff.

BTW, C5 and U5 are "destination codes"....
C4 - Mexico
C5 - Canada
U4 - USA Federal spec (non-PZEV/California - SJ and earlier)
U5 - USA (PZEV/CARB spec, which is now all of them regardless of where sold)

Reactions: Move Zig

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited
140 Posts
What gets me is why does the Eyesight system now require the use of a cooling fan? Hopefully it's only because of the new, updated stereo cameras and electronics.
Maybe it's what we see above the new Xilinx CPU in this video...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just saw the Geyser Blue in person for the first time on Sunday evening at my local dealership. It looks wonderful in person and is nothing at all like the press shots of the Forester Wilderness. Definitely darker than I was expecting. No question I'm going to get it in this color. The photo bellow was taken with a Google Pixel camera so the colors should be pretty accurate and just depend on the display you are viewing it on.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

It absolutely has a bit of a green tint to it, but I wouldn't call it teal at all. Too dark for that.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
310 Posts
Lol I knew that! I have a small dealer here. I've been trying to see an outback wilderness for a bit (especially that color) and they are always sold before they arrive. I check the website and see one is coming but whenever I have time to go to the dealer it's already gone. My Subaru lot has only had used cars on it for the past two months. The new ones vanish quickly. I really wanted to see that new infotainment unit they have and just give it look see. I'd love to drive one and see what the turbo feels like too!

221 - 240 of 258 Posts