Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i CVT
267 Posts
Looks a bit longer in the nose, so probably a EZ36 under the hood, sweet.... hahahahaha!

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
2,989 Posts
Note the MUCH bigger fender spats? I never was in love with the look of the 2019 BUT love the car in every other way. IMHO, as a toy vehicle designer, the previous years were less "gimmicky" with all of the creases and bulges BUT that's personal opinion. I think that making the spats taller is an attempt to minimize some of the fake bulges and add some "ruggedness" to the look........

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,788 Posts
The much bigger fender spats? As all of that along the side is vinyl tape overlays, there's no way to see if the moldings are the same as current. But looking at the rear bumper, you can see it looks to be the same as the current models.

But I do agree with you, toysbyus, there are a lot of current looks that just don't work and are gimmicky and may not age well. Look at the RAV4 and how the last generation's "look" was only around for the single generation and a whole new look was brought about for the current generation. There are some looks (like the SG, SH and SJ series) that age well and look just as good 5, 10, or 20 years down the road. Volvo was a perfect example of this - a look that was evolutionary and not revolutionary and still look good many years later.

And as you've said, that's an entirely personal choice.

·
Registered
Planned 2022 Forester Touring Owner
229 Posts
EYESIGHT X CONFIRMED!!!!

Look at the eyesight on the windshield. It matches the new look of the 2021 Levorg that has Eyesight X.

Also check out the squares on the sides at the front and back. Those are the 360 Sensors.

I'm going to keep looking and see what else I can determine is new, but it might not be much.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also noticed the characteristic sun visor of the upper display. This means that it will maintain the current dual display design rather than implementing the single 11.6" display on the current Outback/Legacy and the new Levorg. This isn't surprising considering it would require a major redesign to the interior. I actually think I prefer the current dual setup.

I still think it might get the all digital instrument cluster of the Levorg. That would not require near as much redesign of the interior. Also, the new Eyesight system was likely designed around integrating with the full digital display so I'm going to go ahead and say I think it will include it. Eyesight X is very unlikely to be on all trims and it might not be standard on any. I'm guessing the digital instrument cluster will be part of the Eyesight X package.

I'm hoping that the inclusion of the new Eyesight X suggests other features of the Levorg will be present. That includes additional cameras (front/side view), LED array headlights for selective blanking of oncoming vehicles, hands free highway cruise, and tons of additional safety tech.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So on a whim a few days ago I started to do a side by side look at the front end to determine what I could see in differences as that is where the majority of the structural changes seem to be. There is a picture in the spy shots that is VERY close to a perfect side perspective and I was able to compare that against a picture I pilfered from the subaru website. When I got things lined up, I was shocked to discover something. I can make almost the entire vehicle line up VERY well with one exception. The front end. It is SIGNIFICANTLY longer than that of the current MY21 Forester.

How much longer. Well, this might be due to the difference in angle and other factors, but my measurements suggest it is over 4 inches longer, and all of this added length is in the front end. The wheel base, windows, tail end, all of the rest of it lines up near perfectly. The real world difference could be less, but I can't see it being less than 3 inches longer.

In fact, when looking at these side by side one can see that the headlights and fog lights are in nearly the same location. All of this added length seems to be for the engine compartment. So the ultimate question here is this. What are they changing that requires SO MUCH additional room in the engine compartment? Some of us may think (or wish) that 2022 will bring back the XT using the 2.4L Turbo engine. Is that engine really that much bigger? Are there modification that might be made that requires this additional room? I am far from the best on engine knowledge so these are questions for others and not me. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give their thoughts.

Finally, props to @Eddie_Catflap who noticed this from the beginning.

Also, if anyone wants to try this themselves and see what they think I've attached the original images I used.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I suspect some of the added length is "disguise padding", but not much. I think I know what the nose redesign is about, at least in part. Also, I do not believe the fenders are larger. One thing of note is where the wheel hubs are.

Reactions: FozzieBalou

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X, 5 speed stick shift
25 Posts
yes, looks like the new one a few inches longer

·
Registered
5 Posts
With Eyesight X and surround-view cameras likely to be available in the 2022 Forester, is there any indication that this will include an auto or self-parking feature, something like Hyundai's "Smart Park"?

·
Registered
229 Posts
With Eyesight X and surround-view cameras likely to be available in the 2022 Forester, is there any indication that this will include an auto or self-parking feature, something like Hyundai's "Smart Park"?
I've read comments that it is being worked on by knowledgeable people, but I honestly think that is more likely to come on the redesign in MY24. Also, I think it is 360 lidar sensors and not 360 cameras.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We now have spy shots of the MY22 Outback as well and it is the wilderness trim.

Appears to show some similarities to the Forester shots. Same skid plate up front. Same 17 inch (I think) wheels. However, it very obviously also has a factory life. If they bring a factory lift to the Outback and not the Forester I'll be pissed, but I'm guessing the Forester test model spied just didn't have the lift as part of it. If they do bring a factory lift to the Forester I hope it means they are reworking the underside to make lifts easier. It would be great if lifts didn't have to drop the sub-frame and could more easily go over 2 inches.

Other notes, more redesign on the body than I would expect outside of a refresh year. New grill that matches the Forester MY22. Fog lights also match the new Forester and surprisingly are moved. They are easier to see here than on the Forester shots since they appear to be on. You can see the Eyesight matches the current version so no Eyesight X until MY23 for Outback fans. Finally, on one of the shots you can see the wilderness badging on the headrest of the passenger seat. Can't see that on the Forester shots, but expect it will be there on the production model.

·
Registered
2016 2.5S auto
255 Posts
Much of a muchness by the look of it. I just hope the updated model does not continue with the hideous wheel/rim designs the current model has particularly in S trim. Would love to get a sports model with the Japanese 1.8lt Turbo in Oz.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts