Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a new 2022 Subaru Forester Premium (option 15 package) in Ice Silver.

We plan to use this car for getting her to and from work safely during the winter months, no towing, some camping. We are coming out of a 2013 Ford Cmax. So I don't think the typical lack of power complaints will apply but waiting on the test drive to confirm.

My question is what should I know about this specific car? I see that the engine is the same as prior year. Are their any reliability issues there or elsewhere we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
66 Posts
We bought the '21 Forester Limited version here in Canada. It is the 2nd from the top of the line model up here. It has everything the top model has except our has a different colour and type of leather seats and lack of some chrome accents. Our Subie rides well and does not lack power around town. It could use another 20 or 30 hp when passing but we took in a number of drives through our mountainous highways and it performed just fine. I am 65 now and speed and acceleration doesn't mean the the same to me as it once did. The Subie drove well and was a pleasant way to see the country side. What I really like about the vehicle is the great views and superb driving characteristics. My wife and test drove 3 other of its top competitors and simply enjoyed driving the Subie a lot more. This is my first Subaru so I hope it will be reliable but so far so good.

·
Registered
863 Posts
On paper they are pretty close on speed, in reality the subaru chaindriven CVT is so far superior in response and ratios, if you use the (s) button it should feel better. Though I leave it in (I) and it's a relaxing drive.

The FB engine and the transmission has actually been around in the Forester since 2014, just massaged a bit here and there. 2019 new injection system, otherwise it's pretty well proven. A few rogue issues as with all mass produced products, but nothing inherent.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
12 Posts
I've had a '19 Forester Premium and have a '20 Forester Touring now. I put 35k on the '19 and have 45k on the '20. The lack of power issue is exaggerated. You won't win races, but that's not why you're buying it.

In that time, I've had no issues at all with either of them. Only time will tell if that remains to be true, but both went on cross-country drives and used daily for city driving, often in stop-and-go traffic.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,074 Posts
I have a 2014 Limited - same basic engine (but a bit less power) and same CVT. This is the SJ generation - 2014 to 2018 model years.

The 2022 is just the latest in the SK generation (2019 to current). The biggest change between the 2019-2021 SK and the new 2022 is the front body work (lights, grill, fascia) and some minor other trim variations. Mechanically, it's the same.

There is a thread about the differences between SK early years and the 2022 - search it out.

The Premium is the 2nd trim level in the US model line up. If you like cloth seats, this is the way to go. I think that option pack 15 includes the power liftgate feature and the rear auto braking and cross traffic alert. As a side note, I'm driving a 2021 Premium with this option package (also includes color display and a few other bits).

The Limited includes some of these items and also leather seating and a bit more.

Either way, the SK is a good and solid choice and will get you (and the spouse) to and from work and all other places safely and economically for years to come.

Are there problems? Sure. But there is not a single reliability issue that impacts the SK generation Foresters. Some may have problem A, some may have problem B and some have no problems at all.

It will be a great upgrade from the CMax.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We bought the '21 Forester Limited version here in Canada. It is the 2nd from the top of the line model up here. It has everything the top model has except our has a different colour and type of leather seats and lack of some chrome accents. Our Subie rides well and does not lack power around town. It could use another 20 or 30 hp when passing but we took in a number of drives through our mountainous highways and it performed just fine. I am 65 now and speed and acceleration doesn't mean the the same to me as it once did. The Subie drove well and was a pleasant way to see the country side. What I really like about the vehicle is the great views and superb driving characteristics. My wife and test drove 3 other of its top competitors and simply enjoyed driving the Subie a lot more. This is my first Subaru so I hope it will be reliable but so far so good.
Thank you for the perspective Zukker! We are going to the dealer tomorrow and are both very excited!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On paper they are pretty close on speed, in reality the subaru chaindriven CVT is so far superior in response and ratios, if you use the (s) button it should feel better. Though I leave it in (I) and it's a relaxing drive.

The FB engine and the transmission has actually been around in the Forester since 2014, just massaged a bit here and there. 2019 new injection system, otherwise it's pretty well proven. A few rogue issues as with all mass produced products, but nothing inherent.
Thats a really interesting point about the CVT. Everything I read online (although I need to explore the forums a bit more) about the CVT was negative. I'll have to do some more reading but definitely looking forward to sport mode!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had a '19 Forester Premium and have a '20 Forester Touring now. I put 35k on the '19 and have 45k on the '20. The lack of power issue is exaggerated. You won't win races, but that's not why you're buying it.

In that time, I've had no issues at all with either of them. Only time will tell if that remains to be true, but both went on cross-country drives and used daily for city driving, often in stop-and-go traffic.
That is great to hear! I hope you have many more years to come of suburb reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 2014 Limited - same basic engine (but a bit less power) and same CVT. This is the SJ generation - 2014 to 2018 model years.

The 2022 is just the latest in the SK generation (2019 to current). The biggest change between the 2019-2021 SK and the new 2022 is the front body work (lights, grill, fascia) and some minor other trim variations. Mechanically, it's the same.

There is a thread about the differences between SK early years and the 2022 - search it out.

The Premium is the 2nd trim level in the US model line up. If you like cloth seats, this is the way to go. I think that option pack 15 includes the power liftgate feature and the rear auto braking and cross traffic alert. As a side note, I'm driving a 2021 Premium with this option package (also includes color display and a few other bits).

The Limited includes some of these items and also leather seating and a bit more.

Either way, the SK is a good and solid choice and will get you (and the spouse) to and from work and all other places safely and economically for years to come.

Are there problems? Sure. But there is not a single reliability issue that impacts the SK generation Foresters. Some may have problem A, some may have problem B and some have no problems at all.

It will be a great upgrade from the CMax.
I will look for that thread, thanks! Yes, definitely looking forward to retiring the CMax and jumping into the Fozzy! The change is going to be drastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts