Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring (Canadian version)
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021/SK Forester. Was wondering if anyone has been successful fitting a 34R battery in place of the stock Q85/35 battery without modification?

I was wanting to get an Odyssey Extreme 35 but discovered that they discontinued that battery and only offer that size in an Odyssey Performance series with more than 200 less CCA. The old Extreme in the 35 series had around 850 cca.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@zcrow What about this: MOTOMASTER ELIMINATOR AGM Group Size 35/85 Battery, 640 CCA
That battery isn't different than the OEM one in my car right now as far as CCA rating. Was hoping to put in a battery with more CCA. I haven't had great luck with Motomaster stuff in general. I have found that their housebrand stuff is all over the map. Thank you for the suggestion though.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,394 Posts
I personally have had good luck with the Batteries Plus x2 battery. But I doubt you can get them in Canada.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I personally have had good luck with the Batteries Plus x2 battery. But I doubt you can get them in Canada.

Yes... Canada with our lack of choice and prices much higher than the actual exchange rate... so much for the free trade agreement

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,394 Posts
LoL, that's why I moved from Vancouver, BC to Dallas, TX in 2001!! Good luck finding a battery. I am looking for a AGM group 35 as well for my 2001 Forester and the AGM group 35 are getting harder to find.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoL, that's why I moved from Vancouver, BC to Dallas, TX in 2001!! Good luck finding a battery. I am looking for a AGM group 35 as well for my 2001 Forester and the AGM group 35 are getting harder to find.

Then you can understand. I just got some gorilla mudflats. In the USA $99. The final bill for me was $196 cdn.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,394 Posts
Yeech that's way beyond exchange rate difference. That's highway robbery. Sad not much has changed from that perspective since I left. Many of my Canadian friends keep asking me "When you moving back to Canada?" I just laugh!!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,211 Posts
I would carefully check date of manufacture, IF you can find someone selling this battery. Northstar was bought by Enersys (parent company of Odyssey) a couple years ago and the Norhtstar site no longer lists automotive batteries. In fact, it sends you to the Odyssey site, where this group of northstar batteries is listed. Note that a Group 35 battery is lacking.

·
Registered
2019 Touring (54k miles 5/2021)
142 Posts
I’m actually running a Northstar 24F AGM. Fits just barely, but I didn’t have to modify anything other than getting rid of the plastic cover around the lead acid battery.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Before swapping a battery, make sure you read and understand service bulletin “07-142-18R” which describes the battery terminal connector on the negative post. Apparently it’s a battery sensor. I screwed ir up by not having a retaining plate aligned properly, and it looks to be a $100-150 replacement part.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would carefully check date of manufacture, IF you can find someone selling this battery. Northstar was bought by Enersys (parent company of Odyssey) a couple years ago and the Norhtstar site no longer lists automotive batteries. In fact, it sends you to the Odyssey site, where this group of northstar batteries is listed. Note that a Group 35 battery is lacking.

I was wondering about Northstar and its connection to Odyssey... thanks for the explanation. This gets complicated and less choices.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m actually running a Northstar 24F AGM. Fits just barely, but I didn’t have to modify anything other than getting rid of the plastic cover around the lead acid battery.
Hey thanks for that info! That is most useful because I can still get that size in a Odyssey Extreme series.

·
Registered
2009 Forester M5 2.5 SOHC
129 Posts
Optima 35 red top is 720 cca. But trades reserve capacity to get there
The motomaster at 640 cca has more reserve @25A of 100 min vs 90min.
For a small engine with lots of bells, whistles, and lights I prefer the extra reserve in my forester.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Optima 35 red top is 720 cca. But trades reserve capacity to get there
The motomaster at 640 cca has more reserve @25A of 100 min vs 90min.
For a small engine with lots of bells, whistles, and lights I prefer the extra reserve in my forester.
Good points. I will take a look at those specs again and compare.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,211 Posts

Your Batteries Plus battery appears to be the last of the premium batteries available in the group 35 size, now that Northstar/Odyssey stopped providing them. Before Subaru fixed the power rear hatch current draw problem, those batteries were on my shortlist because of their high reserve capacity. The BatteriesPlus X2 model comes in at 115 minutes, which is pretty good.

With the rear hatch issue fixed, I'll probably replace my OEM battery with something like an Interstate AGM, maybe in a group 24, rather than 35, now that I see @Cddelta successfully did so. The Interstate MTX AGM in a 24F size provides 115 minutes reserve and 710 CCA. Pretty good. Now if only Costco would provide them...

@Cddelta , what did you do about fitting the group 24 into the OEM battery tray?

·
Registered
142 Posts
@boureesub In place of the tray, I used a Megaware battery guard... basically a silicone pad that you cut to fit.
I can not stress enough the importance of proper torque and alignment with the negative terminal!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
140 Posts
I currently have a Odyssey Extreme 25-PC1400 in my car, but did notice that the last time I tried searching for my 2016 Forester on the Odyssey website that it only linked the ODP-AGM35 with 675 CCA compared to the 850 CCA on my 25-PC1400. What are the specs for the Northstar 24F?

I know the website says the 24F is out of stock, but is it discontinued? ODX-AGM24F ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery | ODYSSEY® Battery

1 - 20 of 20 Posts