Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought another Subaru. 2021 Forester Limited. I want to swap out the halogen fog lamp bulbs with LED. What has everyone used that you are very happy with?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the lamps on my 2020 limited with Baja Designs Squadrons. Much more effective than just replacing bulbs.
Thanks...I thought about it, but just want a quality bulb replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
367 Posts
I don't know what bulbs the 2021 model uses, but I really like these H11 LEDs in my 2017. They're very bright and very amber. Enough amber that it makes the car stand out enough that my friends notice when we go by each other at night. They do what they're supposed to do as fog lights, which is light up the area immediately in front of the car, not project light down the road. (Sorry, but too many people seem to thing that fog lights are supposed to do what driving lights do.)

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what bulbs the 2021 model uses, but I really like these H11 LEDs in my 2017. They're very bright and very amber. Enough amber that it makes the car stand out enough that my friends notice when we go by each other at night. They do what they're supposed to do as fog lights, which is light up the area immediately in front of the car, not project light down the road. (Sorry, but too many people seem to thing that fog lights are supposed to do what driving lights do.)
They use the same H11...thank you.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
66 Posts
I hate to say it but diode dynamics is really worth the price. They do ask a little too much for their products but after years of trying companies like VLEDs, super bright LEDs .com and lots of the eBay stuff out there, the diode dynamics are the only ones that haven't strobed, burnt up, or burnt out.
I ended up switching out my factory fog lamps with the luxeon fog lamp replacement kit from diode dynamics after trying some LED bulbs in my factory housings. I had a lot of trouble with the beam pattern using the factory fog lamp/aftermarket LED combo. The light just blasted everywhere and I would get flashed by other drivers just from my fog lights shining too high. Here's a couple of pictures from their website.

I know you're just trying to find replacement bulbs for your factory housings and I kind of rambled on about switching your housings. Hopefully in the past year the replacement LED bulbs have gotten their alignment better to focus the light properly and provide more useful output. I was just getting frustrated trying bulb after bulb and just gave up and switched housings.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to say it but diode dynamics is really worth the price. They do ask a little too much for their products but after years of trying companies like VLEDs, super bright LEDs .com and lots of the eBay stuff out there, the diode dynamics are the only ones that haven't strobed, burnt up, or burnt out.
I ended up switching out my factory fog lamps with the luxeon fog lamp replacement kit from diode dynamics after trying some LED bulbs in my factory housings. I had a lot of trouble with the beam pattern using the factory fog lamp/aftermarket LED combo. The light just blasted everywhere and I would get flashed by other drivers just from my fog lights shining too high. Here's a couple of pictures from their website.
View attachment 553717
View attachment 553718
I know you're just trying to find replacement bulbs for your factory housings and I kind of rambled on about switching your housings. Hopefully in the past year the replacement LED bulbs have gotten their alignment better to focus the light properly and provide more useful output. I was just getting frustrated trying bulb after bulb and just gave up and switched housings.
Excellent write-up and thank you! I was trying to keep this under $100, but may give it another look as $160 isn't bad at all really. Do you have to remove the bumper to complete the install or can you get to them from behind? Would love to see install pics or a video if anyone has a link.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
537 Posts
not sure if the morimoto Xbs fit the 2019 they fit like every other subaru and can be found as take offs for around $100. led bulb in the stock housing will disperse light in a weird way that blinds drivers and when in actual fog will give you less visibility than a proper/stock setup. i'd look into full assemblies like the morimoto, the DD or SSD kits.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not sure if the morimoto Xbs fit the 2019 they fit like every other subaru and can be found as take offs for around $100. led bulb in the stock housing will disperse light in a weird way that blinds drivers and when in actual fog will give you less visibility than a proper/stock setup. i'd look into full assemblies like the morimoto, the DD or SSD kits.
Thanks Guys! You convinced me and I am going to order the DD Luxeon today:)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT touring
9 Posts
Thanks! I actually visited their site today. Their basic bulbs for figs are $40/pair...the upgrade or "recommended" is $90/pair. Kind of pricey but they make excellent quality products and I have used them in the past. Anyone with any experience with these? Pricey too, but great reviews!

I have a set of LED fog lamps from them for about 1 and half years and so far so good

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT touring
9 Posts
View attachment 553717
View attachment 553718
these are the same lights I bought, worth the price

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
66 Posts
I installed mine by unbuckling some of the clips in the wheel wells to reach through and I also had my front under panel removed because I was installing the aluminum skid plate at the same time. (You don't have to remove the whole skid panel, you can just undo the front clips and bend it down) It wasn't exactly easy to do and I wished I would have just taken off the bumper. It definitely is possible to install them without removing the bumper, although you'll probably be cussing a little bit. 😁 Keep in mind each light has a small adjustment wheel on the back of it so you can raise or lower the light beam. You will need access to those adjustment wheels after the install to get the aim to where you want it. You can access the adjustment knob from underneath if you leave those clips out of the skid panel. (Just don't go too fast on your test drive with the front of your skid panel unclipped) I used the garage door as a reference to shine the light on and I took a small trip around the neighborhood after each adjustment until I had them aimed the way I like them.
I've had mine on for about a year and a half with no problems at all. I really like how they closely match the color of the LED headlights. It looks very sharp.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed mine by unbuckling some of the clips in the wheel wells to reach through and I also had my front under panel removed because I was installing the aluminum skid plate at the same time. (You don't have to remove the whole skid panel, you can just undo the front clips and bend it down) It wasn't exactly easy to do and I wished I would have just taken off the bumper. It definitely is possible to install them without removing the bumper, although you'll probably be cussing a little bit. 😁 Keep in mind each light has a small adjustment wheel on the back of it so you can raise or lower the light beam. You will need access to those adjustment wheels after the install to get the aim to where you want it. You can access the adjustment knob from underneath if you leave those clips out of the skid panel. (Just don't go too fast on your test drive with the front of your skid panel unclipped) I used the garage door as a reference to shine the light on and I took a small trip around the neighborhood after each adjustment until I had them aimed the way I like them.
I've had mine on for about a year and a half with no problems at all. I really like how they closely match the color of the LED headlights. It looks very sharp.
View attachment 553763

View attachment 553764
Awesome...as I expected and thank you for sharing! Ordering mine on the July 4th weekend as I was told by DD they are having a 15% off sale and to wait if I could...a few more weeks won't kill me;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts