Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My wife and I have decided to purchase the Forester 2021 and as with all things we want the car to last.
I have been watching countless Youtube videos and some Subaru mechanics have mentioned changing the oil at the 1000 mile mark for a new engine, then at 3000, 5000 and then every 3000 miles after that as well as the oil filter.

Has anyone come across this before?
I'm happy to do that.
Also, many of the mechanics have mentioned changing the blue or OEM oil filter to a WIX because of the better construction.
Any ideas.

Kind regards

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
644 Posts
Follow the 6,000 mile or 6 months, whichever comes first schedule as published by Subaru. If you are concerned that the Subaru Engineers are clueless or that SOA is lying to you, get an oil analysis. Excessive oils changes are just a waste of resources

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow the 6,000 mile or 6 months, whichever comes first schedule as published by Subaru. If you are concerned that the Subaru Engineers are clueless or that SOA is lying to you, get an oil analysis. Excessive oils changes are just a waste of resources
I was only asking.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
255 Posts
Ask 100 people about break-in oil changes, and you will likely get 101 opinions. Haha!

Me, personally, I like to do the initial change around 1K-2K miles. And, I personally use the Subaru blue filters (purchased from the dealer so they are gen-you-wine) so that I have Subaru receipts and no excuses from them about an after-market filter causing a problem under warranty.

BTW - Go to your parts department and buy a 17mm drain bolt and have the dealer do the first oil change and replace the wimpy 14mm drain bolt. Rumor has it that the 14mm bolts are often stripped because they come very tight. After the dealer has done the first change and replaced the drain bolt with the 17mm, it will be easy for you to do your own if you are so inclined.

Enjoy your new Forester.

·
Registered
264 Posts
+1 for this.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,130 Posts
Doesn't matter one iota one way or another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ask 100 people about break-in oil changes, and you will likely get 101 opinions. Haha!

Me, personally, I like to do the initial change around 1K-2K miles. And, I personally use the Subaru blue filters (purchased from the dealer so they are gen-you-wine) so that I have Subaru receipts and no excuses from them about an after-market filter causing a problem under warranty.

BTW - Go to your parts department and buy a 17mm drain bolt and have the dealer do the first oil change and replace the wimpy 14mm drain bolt. Rumor has it that the 14mm bolts are often stripped because they come very tight. After the dealer has done the first change and replaced the drain bolt with the 17mm, it will be easy for you to do your own if you are so inclined.

Enjoy your new Forester.
Thanks for that.
I will ask about the 17mm drain plug.
My idea is that when one is spending $40k, one wants to do ones best for the vehicle.
Later on, I will do my own oil changes. I have the space and level ground.
Thanks again, I appreciate it.
All the best.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Being an old guy who grew up with early oil changes for new engines I have not yet broken the habit. I changed my oil in the '19 for the first time at 2,500 miles, then again at 5,000 to get on a 5k schedules as I drive 10,000 miles or less per year so I do 2x oil & filter each year. I use OEM filters bought from the Subaru parts guy here. I bought 12 so they ended up at about $ 5.00 each. Wally World for the Oil itself with the purchase of whatever syn oil happens to meet specs and be cheapest.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
My idea is that when one is spending $40k, one wants to do ones best for the vehicle.
Well, it sounds like your mind was already made up so I wouldn't bother even asking.

Personally, I think it's a waste as mentioned and I just stick with the maintenance schedule. I did with my wife's '08 Forester and it had 253k on it when we got rid of it. .....my own car is over 9 years old and has 100k miles. .....and the one before it had the same mileage after 8 years and so on.

Just do what makes you happy.

Reactions: IanSR

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
340 Posts
There is a maintenance schedule in the owners manual for personal reference.
But... its your car. Will it hurt it to change the oil? NOPE
The only down side is you paid extra for an oil change. Meaning the only one affected is your wallet. Not some youtuber, not some dude on forums, just your wallet.

But... I come from working on my own cars for a long time. After an all new rebuild from the ground up, we did an oil change at the first 1000 miles. Only because of the break-in period.
Does that apply to brand new cars with 0 miles driven off the lot? Maybe, but that's why you have that new car warranty right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it sounds like your mind was already made up so I wouldn't bother even asking.

Personally, I think it's a waste as mentioned and I just stick with the maintenance schedule. I did with my wife's '08 Forester and it had 253k on it when we got rid of it. .....my own car is over 9 years old and has 100k miles. .....and the one before it had the same mileage after 8 years and so on.

Just do what makes you happy.
Thanks, but my mind wasn't made up as I'm happy to take advice and use it.
It was simple, having spoken to some Subaru mechanics and watched some on Youtube, they had mentioned about doing early oil changes.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being an old guy who grew up with early oil changes for new engines I have not yet broken the habit. I changed my oil in the '19 for the first time at 2,500 miles, then again at 5,000 to get on a 5k schedules as I drive 10,000 miles or less per year so I do 2x oil & filter each year. I use OEM filters bought from the Subaru parts guy here. I bought 12 so they ended up at about $ 5.00 each. Wally World for the Oil itself with the purchase of whatever syn oil happens to meet specs and be cheapest.
Appreciate your answer.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Base CVT
255 Posts
Just to clarify my earlier post - the OEM 14mm drain bolts do not actually get stripped (threads), but rather the head gets rounded off because it is such a small surface area to "grab" and they are usually on very tight. With a 17mm drain bolt, you have more surface to grab on to and more leverage. It's best to use a 6-point socket.

Sorry for being vague on that point.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,130 Posts
Yes 6 point for sure with breaker bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify my earlier post - the OEM 14mm drain bolts do not actually get stripped (threads), but rather the head gets rounded off because it is such a small surface area to "grab" and they are usually on very tight. With a 17mm drain bolt, you have more surface to grab on to and more leverage. It's best to use a 6-point socket.

Sorry for being vague on that point.
No problem. I saw a video about that about an hour ago.
Thanks for the update.
Appreciate it.

·
Registered
'17 Impreza Hatchback CVT
820 Posts
They just haven't updated their pull-down menus for more recent years. Here is the page for the 2021 Forester N.A.; if you have questions, just email the company. It is a great product (I am a convinced user but have no other connection to the company.)

The US store is running a sale this week for the brand's 44th anniversary.
"Use discount code FUMOTOWEEK for 10% off all purchases, now through October 25th."
I don't know if that will work for you, but worth the try!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They just haven't updated their pull-down menus for more recent years. Here is the page for the 2021 Forester N.A.; if you have questions, just email the company. It is a great product (I am a convinced user but have no other connection to the company.)

The US store is running a sale this week for the brand's 44th anniversary.
"Use discount code FUMOTOWEEK for 10% off all purchases, now through October 25th."
I don't know if that will work for you, but worth the try!
Thanks Kean.
Appreciate that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the oil changed on my new 2020 Forester Sport 1200 miles. Small pieces of metal will break off during the break in period. If left in the will deteriate into your engine. Then every 6000 is fine depending on what kind of driving you do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts