Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just joined and new owner of a white 2019 sport. Im looking at putting a cargo basket on top but not sure which crossbars to go with. For the basket im leaning towards the Rola 59504 basket. Im concerned with getting a crossbar system that extends out past the rails and it looking odd with the basket. Mainly just gonna be throwing a ground tent and canopy up in the rack to save some space on the inside for camping trips. Post pics of your setups! TIA guys.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
595 Posts
Rola roof basket on a 2020 with OEM aero bars. No need for wider bars. I removed the extension that added about 20” to the length but may put it back in for a trip later this year.
Plant Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely going with the Rola. Any use the brightline aero bars off amazon? I was looking at the Rhino rack aero bars too that are 50in, just unsure if the excess bar sticking off the side will look weird with the basket.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Any reason you’re avoiding the OEM Aeros? What are your plans for the wider bars? That would definitely help us help you. FTR I’m not a fan of wider bars. Depending on how much they stick out I think they look odd.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like to be able to add a fishing rod holder ( 8-10in diameter tube about 7.5ft long) on the side and slide the basket towards one side. And the wider bars im looking at are rated for 175lbs. I think the OEM bars are rated for 150lbs? But I do agree it would maybe look odd which is why I am hoping someone on here can prove me right or wrong with their setup haha.

·
Registered
595 Posts
IMO that has the potential to look really weird but then I have issues with things being symmetrical. Plus with the way the basket attaches you may have to slide it way to the side to get the connectors to fit. Have you considered a half basket? The other option would be a platform rack which are spendy but versatile. If I had an extra grand at my disposal that’s the direction I’d go.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a good point with the mounting issue. How far do you have from your mounting bracket to where the crossbar mount starts do you think? At the minimum I would like to be able to from some heavy tent gear up there without alot of flexing. Whats the heaviest thing you've thrown up there?

·
Registered
595 Posts
My basket mounts are just inside of the roof rails. The edge of the basket runs along the rails. To get 8-10 inches of space your rails would need to be at least that much extended beyond the car. I have not used a roof tent but a lot of people here have. So far the heaviest I’ve had up top are 2 ISUPs (about 30lbs each) and assorted other gear that wasn’t particularly heavy just bulky or filthy. I’m not sure having bars that are rated more means you can carry more. I think it’s related to the actual rails and roof structure but don’t quote me on that.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,639 Posts
Something to consider is an easily removable basket mount.
The aero bars won't add a lot of wind resistance, but a basket up there is a different critter.
A roof rack basket is great for when you need the extra space, and some like it just for the look.
On the downside, they all make wind noise to a varying degree and will reduce your mpg's 100% of the time.
Some end up being removed for the above reasons.

·
Registered
595 Posts
^ This. Mine is on from a trip in June and coming off after my trip in September. I’d take it off now but it’s a ***** for me to do it because it’s heavy and I don’t have help.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,227 Posts
DragonSubie makes valid points - in that the basket will impact your MPG (and provide some noise). Even just the crossbars will add some noise and a minor drop in MPGs. Is it horrible? No. But it is a change in both aspects. Remember that those crossbars and the roof-rack is limited to 150 lbs (check your owner's manual for sure).

I've got the factory "aero" cross bars from Subaru (they were $174) and then the Reese Explore basket (a twin to the Rola). I bought the basket at WalMart as it was cheaper (by as much as $100 from others). It's 3 sections.

For mounting, you need to match up the brackets for the basket and then the cross bars.

I pushed the basket as far back as possible to minimize the overhang on the moonroof. The front of the basket is just about in-line with the moonroof when open to "stop" 1 - not fully open but mostly open. It sits as close to center as possible. But, depending on the brackets, you can move the basket over to one side or the other, as needed. I know that there is another thread on here where a member mounted a cargo carrier to the cross bars towards one side and some ski-racks on the other side. So you can move the basket around (as needed). Just be aware of how you load gear if the basket is off to one side or the other.

The back of the basket is just a few inches in front of the antenna on my roof (my 2014 SJ has the little "stick" antenna and not the shark-fin type).

This also serves as a great place to mount my "chase" lights - the brackets (above) allow for me to pivot the lights down or up for use and aim. The basket also serves as a mounting point for my awning (with quick release brackets) for when I'm out an d about and need some shade.

I also will strap my recovery boards to the basket when going out and about and load up luggage or other gear for trips. This was my awning, another canopy, my mom's 4-wheel walker and some luggage/gear for a week away, 2 people, & 4 dogs.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice rig and great advice. Think I'll go with the factory bars and a rola basket. It won't stay on all the time but only when on the road for trips. I think I can fab some brackets to hang my rod tube off the side no problem.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as factor style bars go, anyone use the brightlines ones or is it hit/miss with quality?

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
655 Posts
I use Subaru Aero cross bars and Harbor Freight's finest (only) roof basket. I'm planning to upgrade the basket in the future, but needed two quickly and cheaply for my daughter's poorly planned move from NY to FL. (She's fine and doing great in FL, she just sucks at planning and budgeting things. :ROFLMAO: "Yeah Dad, if you could just drive the U-Haul truck down, I'll pay for your flight back." Three weeks before the trip: "No, I didn't check the price of a UHaul, why?" - The price of a UHaul: $2700+) The HF Haul-Master basket seems to just be a differently branded Reese basket, and performs its function very well. And the stupid branding stickers peeled off really easily. I just want something that's quicker to put on and take off. That's the daughter's 2010 Impreza next to my 2017 FXT.

·
Registered
595 Posts
^ That’s the one I want but I’m going to have to get a paper route to pay for it.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Here are some shots of our Yakima LoadWarrior on my wife's 2020 with the extension. .....transplanted from her 2008.

The full length IIRC is 62" but it fits nice IMO and holds a lot:

It does take two to remove but it is easier IMO to lift it off with the cross bars attached. I just unbolt them mark their position and lift off. This way I don't have to worry about realigning the rack on the cross rails. Just bolt on and go.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
22 Posts
Rola 59504 with the factory crossbars. Had to buy one for the kid’s move up to Pennsylvania for college. Worked out great. Left it on for awhile as it was a pain to take off. Finally took it off when I had to start transporting our canoe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts