Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took possession of a new Forester this week, so I also got a 3-day subscription to Subaru's Technical Information System so that I could learn more technical stuff about the car than what is included in the owners manual. Any-who when I read thru the oil change procedure I was surprised to see that Subaru includes a step calling for the replacement of the "oil pump union" when changing the oil filter. I've never heard of that term before, but finally learned that it is the threaded bolt that the oil filter screws on & off of. See pic below. Anyway, for you experienced DIY oil changers out there, is this something you really do need to replace when putting on a new oil filter?

White Automotive tire Gas Rim Engineering

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport/2018 Crosstrek Prem
316 Posts
Does it say how oil changes before you need to replace that part? Because I have never replace that part in my life.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
231 Posts
Does it say how [many] oil changes before you need to replace that part? Because I have never replace that part in my life.
I have also never changed it either. The only way you could really damage it, is to cross thread the filter, or try screwing the wrong filter onto it. It is generally well lubricated.

Not sure why they would use that term either. An oil filter union would be more accurate. Of course it could also be a bad translation from Japanese to English.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it say how oil changes before you need to replace that part? Because I have never replace that part in my life.
No, it doesn't say how many. Directions are simply a single sentence that says to "remove the oil pump union" after the instructions for removing the filter. Then it simply says again to "install the oil pump union" before installing a new oil filter. Torque to 33.2 ft-lb. Sorry, but the service manual for a '21 Forester was not available yet for downloading on the techinfo web site. So I can't share the actual written text easily. All I could do was print off selected pages I wanted to save for future use. Here is a pic of it that I found on a Subaru parts web site. Can't tell if it is metal, or a high strength nylon-like plastic material. I've never changed one of these things either. My guess at this point is it may wear easily so Subaru included instructions for changing it in their service manual. Nonetheless, a close inspection of the part may be appropriate now with oil changes.

Camera accessory Font Composite material Rectangle Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,534 Posts
I have quite literally changed the oil and filter hundreds of times across various makes and models, and never run across anything like that. You can rest assured Subaru dealerships don’t replace it, and I’ve never seen anything in an owners manual mention it.

I‘d say the closest thing I’ve run across to that was in my wife’s 2005 Mini, where it supposedly used single-use oil drain plugs, but again, I never ran across a Mini dealership that actually replaced them at every oil change.

I can’t help but think there’s a piece of information being missed here… but, maybe not…

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have quite literally changed the oil and filter hundreds of times across various makes and models, and never run across anything like that. You can rest assured Subaru dealerships don’t replace it, and I’ve never seen anything in an owners manual mention it.

I‘d say the closest thing I’ve run across to that was in my wife’s 2005 Mini, where it supposedly used single-use oil drain plugs, but again, I never ran across a Mini dealership that actually replaced them at every oil change.

I can’t help but think there’s a piece of information being missed here… but, maybe not…
I appreciate everyone's comments on this topic. I've only owned this car for a week now, and am struggling big time to understand it. Which is why I left made this post in the first place. I've come to the conclusion that Subaru put replacement info about the oil pump union in the service manual just in case it ever really does need changing, and not meant to imply you do it with every filter change. No information is missing, I probably read too much into it. Although the way it is laid out in the service manual lead me to believe otherwise. Like you, my 2 sons have Subaru's and each have close to 100K miles on them. Neither one has ever changed an oil pump union.

I like the Winston Churchill quote in your profile. Churchill also allegedly said once, "You're never too old to learn something stupid." He must have thinking of old guys like me. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,534 Posts
Believe me, you are far from being alone…

1 - 8 of 8 Posts