Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just purchased a 2021 Forester Premium and as part of the deal we were given an OEM Subaru Remote Start Module (RSM) as an Owe Me. I made a Service Appointment with my dealership for installation on a Friday at 9am.

About an hour later I was told that the installation was complete.
With the RSM installed I was given a small demonstration and handed the two RSM FOBs with my Vehicle FOB handed back to me.

In my passenger seat they tech had placed the plastic bag with two instructional cards. On the card was depicted in the left box the RSM FOB, while the right box had the Vehicle FOB. Reading the instructions it stated that you could also use the Vehicle FOB to remote start my vehicle. However when I asked the sales representative they came back out with me and tested, but could not get it to work with my Vehicle FOB. I pressed further and they stated they didn’t think it works with the Vehicle FOB. He asked the tech who installed the RSM and the tech said something to the fact, “what package did they buy”, that it was not part of the features and would not work.

I called several dealerships and their managers and techs all were, “no it doesn’t work”. Contacted a CT dealership and their tech Cody actually said he’d have to speak with a senior tech and eventually got back to me with an inconclusive answer if it works, didn’t work or not available as part of the features.

Biggest issue for me was that the instruction card that came with the RSM stated it worked, that looking at the Forester Owners Manual on page 317 it stated, “Alternative operation method for models with keyless access with push-button start system with a my Vehicle FOB pictured.

Contacted Subaru North America about this and got a case number and walked through the feature. When they asked me to try it with my Vehicle FOB I went to the front of the house inside our door about 15-20ft away from our vehicle parked at the curb. I tried it once and it actually worked. I turned it off but could not get it to work again. Four tries later I got it to work one more time. I tried my wife’s Vehicle FOB but could not get it to work. We discussed it with the representative and they suggested I wait to power cycle my vehicle and try it again.

I hung up the call and waited.

In the midst of this I went over the instructions and thought to myself there is something wrong with the instructions. It dawned on me as I went over my steps and realized that there needed a brief pause.

Instructions on page 317 state: To start the engine with remote engine start system, briefly press the lock button twice within 2 seconds, then press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds.

My change would be in the ( ): To start the engine with remote engine start system, briefly press the lock button twice within 2 seconds, then (briefly pause) and press and hold the lock button for 3 seconds.

I took my wife’s Vehicle FOB and tried it once and immediately it worked. I tried a second time and with out the pause it didn’t work. Tried again with the pause again it worked flawlessly.
The, “brief pause”, should be added to the instructions and is what makes the remote start with the Vehicle FOB consistent/work.

One of the many answers the various Subaru Dealerships gave why it didn’t work were:

1) it is only available on vehicles that had RSM installed as part of your order and not as a dealer installed option.

2) it is not a feature because there were issues with the distance and that’s why Subaru offer the long distance RSM package.

3) it is a different model/package you have to buy

* Starlink: Yes, we have that but as someone else has clarified if no service it’s pointless and you can start your Forester.

Plus I put up a video of this issue and how to properly use the Keyless Access FOB (that comes with the Push-Button Start System that was part of the package we purchased with our Forester Premium.

I hope this helps. The video shows me trying and failing the first time, but the timing it correctly the successive times after. It’s probably why some people complained to the Subaru that the short distance remote start didn’t work.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
906 Posts
Interesting. Well done figuring that out!

Can you also start you car through the "portal" ? (sorry, can't remember what it's called). Or is that yet another option?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Subaru offers two different remote start solutions. As far as I can tell, they've got nothing to do with each other.

One is the traditional remote start system. It's a module that includes a radio receiver, plus key fob transmitters. You press the button on the rob, radio signal goes from fob to module, module starts the car. If anything blocks the signal, no start. Both the standard fob and the one this comes with will work to send the signal; it's just the one this package adds has a much longer range (stronger transmitter). This system does not depend on cell network or Internet. This is what OP has.

The other solution is part of one of the StarLink packages. It uses an app on your phone, and the "telematics" module built in to every modern Subaru. You tell app to start car, app talks to Subaru servers on the Internet, servers use cell network to talk to telematics module, telematics module starts the car. This one can talk back to the app, and works as long as car is in AT&T cell coverage. No cell signal, no start. Recurring cost (annual/etc fee).

Reactions: Sonny Hung

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
2 Posts
We just purchased a 2021 Forester Premium and as part of the deal we were given an OEM Subaru Remote Start Module (RSM) ...
Hi there! In the market for a crossover vehicle, Forester is at the top of my list just above the CR-V. I had a question about the remote start system...when you use the remote starter, does opening the vehicle door(s) or unlocking the doors cause the engine to shut off? Or does the system keep the engine on when you get in the vehicle and press the engine START/STOP button?

Thanks in advance! It's a little pet peeve when remote starters make the engine turn back off before you get into the vehicle haha

·
Registered
170 Posts
The engine remains running until the idle time limit expires (10 minutes, I believe). Opening/closing doors does nothing. When you get in the car, you have to hold down the brake pedal and press the START/STOP button, which (1) cancels the time limit and (2) unlocks the shift lever.

Reactions: Sonny Hung
1 - 6 of 6 Posts