Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
My 2021 premium with 2100+/- miles is exhibiting wear on the driver seat left bolster that I believe is excessive and warrantable.
I am seeking some crowd sourced opinion on whether I should seek warranty remedy from Subaru. Or am I being unrealistic, and should expect this result.
I look forward to your responses.

Cheers
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Rim
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design
Automotive design Motor vehicle Grey Car seat cover Car seat
Shoe Textile Grey Wood Tints and shades

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
4,653 Posts
Honestly, it matters not what we all may say or offer up as "yes" or "no" in response to the "is this warrantable"... it will come down to the dealership's service department and ultimately, SOA. Is it wear? Yes. Is it excessive? Well, looks to be. Is it something that could happen again and again and again? Maybe.

Go to the dealer and start the process.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,441 Posts
All I can suggest is to evaluate what the driver is wearing and how hard that area on the seat is rubbed when getting in. If there is any way you could sit "down" into the seat instead of sliding sideways it would help. Might it help to move the seat back when entering?

I have a friend who had a problem with his Subaru Outback leather splitting on the outer bolster--same area as yours--and I believe he got it fixed under warranty. So definitely seek warranty coverage for the first time around, but in the long haul you will either have to change habits or use an external seat cover because they ain't gonna change the fabric to a thicker weight. And the problem with external seat covers is that they are made with a very weak seam right at that outer bolster to blow out with the side airbag so that kind of friction might split it open.

I know that cop car seats, like in Ford Explorers, are made with cut-back and low bolsters on the sides because cops wearing gun belts need access plus they shred regular seats getting in and out multiple times every day.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT
315 Posts
I'd go for it. Let SOA determine if you get something, but it's important for them to receive feedback on things they aren't doing well. The cloth used on seats and headliner are way too delicate since at least the SJ. Interior quality has trended downwards since the earlier generations IMO.
Edit: same for Honda and comparable brands as well. My basis for comparison is 2000-2008ish CR-V and Forester.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
1,401 Posts
just a speculation, but this looks quite a bit like the way that polyester clothing gets that worn "pilled" look - and then lasts another ten years looking the same cheap worn-out way, never getting a hole. I'd be disappointed too, but it may be an inevitable but not serious issue. My Subaru has leather, but the look of yours is similar to our 2006 Mazda5 upholstery, which we owned from new to 11 years / 133,000 miles. The Mazda's interior looked mediocre after a couple years, but never got worse.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT (Sold and replaced with Camry Hybrid)
158 Posts
That looks pretty bad for the age and mileage. 2100 miles? Wow. It will only be covered under the 3/36 warranty. If it wears that quickly, how many times will they replace it for you? My 17 premium when I sold it with 92k at 5 yrs old had zero wear that I could see. I had seen where others with the vinyl bolsters had issues, but wasn't aware of issues with the fabric yet. I don't wear jeans however.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
1,120 Posts
As FozzieBalou and YoGeorge said, and imo that's a lot of wear in a very short amount of time. My 2010 upholstery was pretty good, my 2015 not so much driver's seat especially showing wear from in/out and adjusting my butt during long drives, but not nearly as bad as yours looks. Dealership also replaced some of the seat covers within first year because they were falling apart at the seams. I'd definitely be in touch with dealer and if necessary SOA...good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,441 Posts
Ha yes on velcro being a problem!

I will note that I drove an '09 base with a black cloth interior for 120k miles and the fabric did really well but it was a harder and shinier fabric. Had a couple creases in it on the seat bolsters at 120k. Our '17 Premium has black cloth also and looks like new with 37k miles, 2/3 by my wife and 1/3 by me. No visible wear or creases. I admit that I have never driven or sat in the cloth interior in the '19 and up generation but can't imagine they downgraded fabric seat quality significantly.

I would approach the dealer for a replacement and hope you are on good terms with them. That is always helpful when seeking warranty coverage on something that could also be called "damage". You probably do want to use seat covers for the long haul unless you can attribute the friction to a specific article of clothing that can be banned from the Forester :)

With seat covers on light fabric, you will have to be really careful with any kind of cover that might dye transfer over time or with heat and moisture. I don't love black, but it's less likely to stain over the long haul.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
1,344 Posts
My 17 premium when I sold it with 92k at 5 yrs old had zero wear that I could see.
Our '17 Premium, with only 6800 miles is still like new on the cloth seats, as it should be. Granted it isn't many miles, but still more than 2100ish.

We wear jeans mostly, so that doesn't seem to be a factor, at least with the SJ cloth seats. Nothing with Velcro.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We went with CoverCraft (I think that's the maker, CoverKing??) real wetsuit seat covers that Costco.com sometimes discounts. They are very nice. Neither too hot in the summer or cold in the winter.
Our '17 Premium, with only 6800 miles is still like new on the cloth seats, as it should be. Granted it isn't many miles, but still more than 2100ish.

We wear jeans mostly, so that doesn't seem to be a factor, at least with the SJ cloth seats. Nothing with Velcro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts