Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just started this week. Has worked great up to the15 month of ownership. I have tried most of the standard remedies, Reboot radio, unpair and delete the phone (Samsung S6 Android) Delete the bluetooth SubaruBT connection from the phone. Re-pair the phone to the unit, it downloads contacts and sets up texts. It will read the texts to me fine. However, as soon as I make a call, NOTHING. I do not hear it ring, when the other party picks up, it starts its call timer, but I cannot hear them. If I hit speaker icon on my phone, I can talk to the other party. I have deleted the system cache in the phone, rebooted it, and everything except a reset. Phone works fine and pairs with my AirPods via bluetooth.

Any ideas?????

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you recently update either the phone or the vehicle head unit?
For the Phone...NO, it no longer has updates available As for the Foresters head unit...well, wireless is off, however, when I checked the settings both of the update settings were turned on. So, it is possible that using its internal connection it could have updated.

You didn't mention trying out this:
On the headunit go to Settings / Sound / Phone volume and turn it up?
One of the very first things I investigated. Set at 16.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will continue posting my attempts at fixing this issue and reiterate previous procedures.
Involving the Subaru radio/head unit/navigation console, I have performed the following:
1) 10 second press of the volume knob to reboot it.
2) Vol, Tune, and CD eject press and hold until unit reboots.
3) Checked all volume settings for each application and connected devices
4) Removed phone Bluetooth connection from unit, rebooted head unit, turned off car, reconnected phone (several times, allowing then not allowing full access to contacts, etc.)
5) Downloaded the latest update for the head unit and installed (phone not connected at the time)

Everything else on the unit works great, navigation, music from usb keys, and with the Phone connected, it even reads the text messages to me just fine, but a phone call is silent!

Like I said before, since new, the Forester's head unit has worked great and connected to my phone with no issue over 15 months. Since last week, the phone call issue started. If my memory has not failed me, no changes or apps were made to the phone. No work on the car performed or settings changed.

What I have not done, but will do later....Try a different phone! Will keep you informed.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Tried two different phones, a iPhone and another android. Same result. No sound from the head unit when calling or the other party picking up. Hitting the speaker button on the phones transfers the call back to the phone, turns off Bluetooth, as it should, and you can hear the other party, hitting it again, sends it back to the head unit but still no sound. So I think we can rule out my phone as the issue.

How can the phone be connected and the head unit can read your text messages aloud yet not let you hear the person or the ring when calling???

PERPLEXED I AM!!!!

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just thought of one thing that has change on the Radio Head Unit that coincides with the Phone issue. How it would affect it...is beyond my understanding.
Both my wife and I received emails that our XM radios were being activated for a two week period starting Nov. 23 and running to Dec.5th.
She is listening to XM in her Honda just fine on this free trial period.

I on the other hand, have not been able to. My XM is only receiving Channel 1 preview.
If on Dec. 6th, my phone starts working again with the Head unit...Now that would be something.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WORKING......However, it does not make sense. So the Sirius XM promotion ended yesterday at midnight. So, out of curiosity, I tried linking up the phone again this morning......and you guessed it..ITS WORKING NOW! As I said, during the promotion, I did not receive the XM signal other than the preview channel. Any one out there with a explanation????? Just wanted to let everyone know. I hate it when someone posts a issue and never follows up on if they found a solution or not. Mine is not a solution but a mystery, however, never the less, I can hear my phone calls again.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOT WORKING AGAIN....guess my sirusXM theory was wrong! It quit working again yesterday. Worked again for two days. Really no idea what is going on. Way too strange that the Bluetooth connection works in every way with the phone connection except for the lack of hearing any sound during the calling (ringing) and after connection, cannot hear the other person, however, they can hear me!

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WORKING.....NOT SURE IF SOLVED. Well, maybe its a sequence of operations that does it. I basically gave up for a couple of weeks then decided to try again. Had already deleted the phone from the Forester's head unit and the Subaru connection from the Phone about a week ago. So last evening, in the driveway, with the car running and the radio on my favorite station, I did the VOL.-TUNE-CD EJECT reboot (hold for 10 seconds standard procedure). I then paired the devices again. It works. Have I done this particular sequence before???? I don't know, I tried everything as described above with the results as described. We shall see if this holds or it goes out again in a couple of days. I am pretty sure it is a Subaru Head Unit issue due to trying other phones.

· Registered
2021 Forester Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NEVER-MIND...ITS THE HEAD UNIT, CONFIRMED. It quit working in the middle of a phone conversation today. A couple of snap, crackle and pops.... a few words in between then no caller coming through the car speakers. Still connected on my phone. Past the bumper to bumper so this will cost me to fix. I will see if I can get on Subaru's good graces and see what they may be able to do for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts