Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '21 Limited is Crystal White Pearl. I'm fastidious about keeping our vehicles clean, polished, and protected. I've never owned any vehicle with pearl paint and this is our first Subaru. I plan to clay-bar and wax it some time this month. Is there anything special I need to be aware of about taking care of pearl paint?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
80 Posts
not at all,clay bar and good wax or sealant is all you need,my son has had 2 pearl white cars and we use the same stuff,i get my products from autogeek.any questions you have they will answer.now a days i use the clay bar mitt.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
@GL21Limited
If you've already got a regimen that works for you with your favorite tools, products and methods, then no. .....there's really nothing you need to do differently.

Pearl is simply a description of another color these days. To be honest, I'm not even sure if the factory "pearls" are the same as ones from years ago where there might be an additional layer with flecks of material in it to give it an iridescent look. .....the look of a pearl essentially.

Anyhow, that's beside the point. The point is that it can be maintained just as you would a car in any of the other colors in the Subaru lineup. If your comfortable with how you've been maintaining your cars so far and happy with the result, then go nuts.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
2,127 Posts
All of your contact will be with the clear coat, not the pearl paint.

Do note that Subaru paint is soft, thin, and fragile compared to most other brands. Subaru's paint application at the factory is environmentally friendly at the expense of paint durability.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good and as I expected but wanted to verify. I've got my routine with clay, light cut (if/when needed), polish, and wax that I've followed for many years. I'll have at it.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Kean

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
67 Posts
I might recommend considering a ceramic coating. I was pretty leery about it because I've never used it before but I figured I would give it a try. After watching some videos I got the stuff from Avalon King and after nearly 1.5 years the water still beads just like the first day! After a wash I can blow the car dry with a leaf blower. I'm pretty impressed with the results and it actually was pretty fun to apply! The Forester has a lot of sheet metal and I would have had to wax it at least four times by now. It has saved me a lot of time in the long run. Enjoy that beautiful pearl paint!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read about Avalon King on another enthusiasts' site. I might give it a try.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
67 Posts
I really like Avalon King. I thought the application was very easy. Prepping the Forester took a little while because you want to make absolutely sure you have no water spots or streaks or anything like that that would get sealed in under the ceramic coating. They have really good instructions on their website with videos. I did two coats of it just to make sure I had even coverage. It took about four bottles I believe. It was a tad expensive but you can sign up for their email and get discounts. The shine speaks for itself! It was like putting a thin sheet of glass over the paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts