Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked oil first time since I picked up my car two weeks ago. Is this something I should be worried about? Just had 500 miles on my car..
Petal Wood Plant Paper product Paper

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,398 Posts
Not considered excessive overfilled. Yes it is slightly above the "High" level. But not by much, there have been many discussion on here about dealers/factory has overfilled. Your looking at maybe 250ml too much, out of a total of 4.16L, which translates to 6%.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,398 Posts
Some threads:

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
879 Posts
Ah...dam...
(Sarcasm) Sorry car is totaled. Don't bother fixing it, just junk it for scrap. (Sarcasm)

I'm joking. That's fine. A bit on the high side but not by much depending on the angle you look at.

If it bothers you that much, do your own oil change from now on.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,113 Posts
Surely the OP is joking...

Reactions: DJ Trance

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring EyeSight
865 Posts
My '17 is particularly prone (compared to about ten other lifetime-owned cars, none of them Subarus) to showing wet zones on the dipstick which are NOT indicative of the oil level. It is essential to pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert it, and only then look at the oil level without drawing any premature conclusions earlier in the process. Also, level ground is important, it reads low pointing uphill and high pointing downhill.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
565 Posts
I was going to say, don't worry about it, it will eventually leak down. :LOL:

·
Registered
2020 CBS Forester Sport
184 Posts
You can put a whole 5qt bottle in when you do an oil change without worrying about hurting anything, so...

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
24 Posts
Just checked oil first time since I picked up my car two weeks ago. Is this something I should be worried about? Just had 500 miles on my car..
View attachment 559271
Mine is the same. Same level over the full mark as pictured above ... checked a week after taking delivery. Got 600 miles on it now. Not worried, but am left wondering about factory quality control to be honest about it.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
341 Posts
Mine's been the same for over 1000 miles now. Hasn't dropped, or raised.

Better to be slightly over the mark than under. At least we got a bit more for our money.

Given they don't recommend changing the oil for 6000 miles, a little extra for the masses that don't open their hood is cheap insurance they don't drop too low before that first oil change.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
317 Posts
That looks like it's right in between the high and low marks, almost perfectly centered. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
341 Posts
The picture is hard to see, but on my 22" PC screen, it appears to be a bit above the full mark.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,676 Posts
Surely the OP is joking...
Probably not.
A bit over or under doesn't matter, but many people have no way to assess the lack of importance of this, especially when they look at a manual which tells them to have the oil level between the full and add marks.
The manual doesn't say what should be done when it's a bit overfilled (that you don't need to worry about it), or that it is routine for dealerships to overfill for those that never look.

It's interesting how some people obsess about an oil level while others completely ignore it.
In both cases, my theory is that many people never had someone to show them the basics of vehicle maintenance.
A friend of my wife's has no idea how to check air pressure or add air to a tire! Sadly, this seems to be more the norm than the exception.

Quite a while back, a significantly uninformed poster said that there was no reason to ever open the hood, because there is nothing that anyone can do to maintain the car because you need a dealer's computer system for everything.

I'm sure his local dealership is very happy with that assessment.
;)

·
Registered
2011 Forester (sold) 2013 Crosstrek LTD, 2021 Forester LTD with all options, 2018 Outback LTD w NAV
13 Posts
My new 2021 came with oil over full too. In 3000 miles it is still 1/2 " above the overfull mark. I suspect Subaru is intentionally doing this in case owners assume you do not need to check oil on a new car. My 2018 OB still does not use oil with 30K miles, but our 2011 Forester used a quart in 3k when new. I switched to Castrol Full synthetic and it became about 1/2 quart in 3K miles. So I was okay at that point but not impressed. Not near as bad as others were experiencing. Overfilling the oil can create issues when the crankshaft churns in it, essentially aerating the oil. Since that is not happening I would not worry.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premium
15 Posts
My 2021 forester was about 3/4 in over full when new and also over by same after first oil change. Tells me dip stick could be marked wrong.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,676 Posts
^^^ - Interesting theory..
Initial assessment: Nope Nothing wrong with the dipstick.

If the "full" indication were moved up, it would just mean it's easier to actually overfill.

When you start to exceed somewhere over a quart of oil above the intended full/fill line, it can cause problems, as the oil can froth.
That's true for most cars.
The reasons for typical slight overfill are more likely to be that it doesn't matter and it's better to have a bit too much than not enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts