Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,394 Posts
Better safe than sorry?
Any shrapnel large enough as you claim to damage the engine is filtered out by the oil filter. Again, you have no proof of your claim of damage. I drove 10,000 miles on factory fill on my 2013 VW Jetta TDI. I also sent in an oil sample to Blackstone. And the sample report came back with no issues. So until you have proof......your claims are pure speculation.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
820 Posts
I would definitely change it now @ 1200 miles since it's a new car and you don't know how much metal particles is in the engine. But after that 6k miles btwn changes should be fine.
They should put oil filters on these motors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Engine failure due to shrapnel is soooooo rare. Is it even worth mentioning? We are not driving 1970's high shrapnel engines from the BIG 3!!! If engines of today were like the 1970's why are we seeing vehicles reaching > 200,000+ miles!!!
Tell that to all the Hyundai Sonata owners that had to have an engine replaced due to shrapnel and bearing installed incorrectly. I know because I formally own a 2011 Sonata, although my engine was fine until 149000 km at which time I got rid of it and bought our Forester.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Let's stay on topic please; as some may have noticed this is a Forester forum ;)

@InStitches49 I have always followed the servicing requirements regardless of distance traveled while my vehicles are under warranty having carefully checked the warranty re servicing requirements in order to avoid any potential issues re a future claim, or at least discuss with the service center if in doubt. This practice has really proved beneficial over the years whenever warranty work has been needed. After warranty do whatever you think best.

·
Registered
2021 Forester
644 Posts
@InStitches49
6Kmiles or 6Months, whichever is first. The oil pan is not air tight, and will oxidize over time. Effects viscosity, and can lead to deposits and sludge.
Humidity, moisture in the air can also mix in over time due to condensation. Lots of little variables lend to the time factor.
Same for your brake fluid lush due at 30kmi or 3 years. It's almost non-dependent on mileage, I'd say screw the mileage, on my cars back when I was a heavier driver and would have even 70-80k in 3 years, I'd keep brake fluid on the 3year cycle.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
63 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
39 Posts
@InStitches49
Unless you are on a fixed income and money is a major issue, just follow the time requirement (6 months) and change the damn oil. It is about $60 at the dealer and gives you a piece of mind that the car has been maintained by an authorized service provider. Also, IF you bought the car NEW, first oil change is usually free.

My '14 Forester has less than 50K miles on it, but I religiously take to dealership every 6 months (or so) and have them change oil and filter.

If you have Mavis Tire in your area, they do rotation free of charge regardless of whether you bought tires from them or not. Should be rotated every 10K miles or so.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
14 Posts
@InStitches49
Get the oil changed and tires rotated according to schedule at 6 months/60K miles. It is free at the dealership for two years.

·
Registered
2011 Forester auto 4
12 Posts
@InStitches49,
Synthetic oil of the kind used in Subarus is great lubrication, but its actually not as good at keeping engines clean as conventional refined motor oil. It can allow some sludge to accumulate as the detergent additives break down. That breakdown is partly a function of time, so I wouldn't go more than a year without a change, especially if you are in a moist climate, even if that means changing at 3000 or 4000 miles (sounds like you are driving little right now, which is true for many people). Bear in mind, however, that the dealer has automated emails and mailings that go out based purely on time, and they will start bugging you at 6 months to get a change, which isn't necessary. Ignore them, and get it changed when you hit 4000 miles or so.

·
Administrator
17,949 Posts
Could some members that have recently responded to this thread please note guideline #5 "do not use "Reply" or "Quote" when responding to an immediately preceding post and/or the original post of a thread as we do not want to read stuff twice and it just clogs up the thread."
Also refer: The FAQs - When to Quote / Multi-Quote......... And when...

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
3 Posts
6 months, but no tire rotation. Do not let them talk you into anything other than the oil Change. Do you ever go on the highway or just local trips?
Short trips are hardest on a vehicle. At my Subaru dealer a tire rotation is no extra charge. Why not rotate them?

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester XT Touring
31 Posts
Since the manual says 6 months or 6K miles, whichever comes first, I personally would have it changed at 6 months just to not create an excuse for warranty denial down the road.
They cannot deny you warranty work based on scheduled service unless you are driving way over the recommended miles. Wait until 6000 miles. Before that, it's just a waste of money.

·
Registered
2021 Forester
11 Posts
Since the manual says 6 months or 6K miles, whichever comes first, I personally would have it changed at 6 months just to not create an excuse for warranty denial down the road.
Yes it’s 6500 miles recommended by Suburu. I do know of other manufacturers that say 8,000 using the synthetic oil.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,969 Posts
Subaru's recommendation for my 2010 was every 7,500 miles and conventional oil. I believe that Subaru would have stuck with a 7,500 mile interval had it not been for the excessive oil consumption problem in the early FB engine years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you 6700 km (not miles) and 6 months of mostly city driving and a couple of longer trips. I decided to get the oil changed at 6 months for a first oil change. After that I will follow the millage recommended changes. I also had a pairing issue with my phone so I had to bring it in anyways. Just my comfort zone. My first Subaru and things seem a little different than all my other cars. :)
I went the more aggressive route of 3,000 km or 3 months. That way, no matter the condition I’ve driven in (& in my part of the world its tropical), I’ve got peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester Touring CVT
97 Posts
My previous car, a VW diesel, said not to do a early first oil change. The instruction was buried deep in the manual and didn't give a reason. The manufacturer's recommendation was 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Limited
19 Posts
@InStitches49
While in auto mechanic school I learned that the 1st oil change in any car should be done at 1,000 miles. This cleans out any small (metal) particles left from the manufacturing process of the engine. I have done this with every new car that I buy, especially with my 3 Subaru SUV's. My last cars have seen over 180,000 miles with no engine trouble or wear. As far as the tire rotation, I would not do it on a new car, just wait until the next scheduled maintenance.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts