Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Premier
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my new 2021 Forester tomorrow and I'm a first-time Subaru owner.

While the all-season Falken tires it comes with are good, I'm considering swapping them for the Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires. Does anyone have any experience with these in limited off-road? (BTW I do live in southwestern Ontario where we get lots of snow)

As well, has anyone bought All-Terrain tires, something like the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 or BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 on a newer Forester?

Thanks

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
3 Posts
@exp1634 I have a 2019 Forester Sport - this is our 6th Subaru. I have added a sport exhaust and a strut tower brace from Nameless Performance. Did my research and purchased a set of Falken Wilderness Trail AT's up graded from 225/55/18 to 235/50/18's. Really great tire and you can absolutely feel the performance upgrade. No real noise or mileage impact.
The Falkens' are a wise upgrade.
Good luck and stay safe.
Irish Joe

·
Registered
339 Posts
The nokian wrg4 are a new breed called All-Weather. They grip much better in the winter/remain flexible in the cold like a winter tire but dont get squishy like a winter tire does above 50 degrees. they also remain firmer providing the summer handling needs. Now truth be told. they are still better than the all too common all-season but are still not a 100% match for a summer performance and deadicated winter tire.

Personally if you deal with snow/ice/moderate rain. They are the perfect balance. No longer needing two sets of tires etc.

*I stayed away from Falkens are 3 people close to me all with different vehicles had tires that could not be balanced. a pickup (f250 diesel), a suv (older nissian frontier) and a crossover lexus thing. The vehicles did fine with a different brand so I just skipped them. They still get a lot of love so good luck with yours and keep us updated.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
35 Posts
Been riding on Falken Wildpeak AT3w 235/65r17 on a 17x8 wheel and 2" lift. I don't have any problems with major rubbing or road noise. Took a small hit to mileage as the wheel set up is heavier since I went bigger and wider. I don't know about snow performance yet, but I've rode through heavy rain and some dirt trails and they perform very well.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester
136 Posts
On our retired '09 Forester we drove with the Nokian All-Weather tires that were spec'd for that Forester at the time, I think they were the WR3s. Liked them a lot, drove to Montreal with them and then around Laval in the middle of a massive no-one-on-the-road snowstorm one Christmas. That was really fun :)

At ~50,000km on them dealership said there was wear and tires needed to be replaced. At that point our '09 had 250,000km on it, with a couple of other things going, including the clutch bearing needing to be replaced (the clutch had been replaced for the first time only 2 years ago, and I was charged for a new clutch bearing but it failing brings up doubt the Subaru dealer to the east actually replaced it). I had also had an accident with the ground while fooling around off road, the point is Nokian Canada has a warranty of 90,000 km and/or 5 years from purchase or 6 from manufacturing date, but I never got to try using it as we got rid of the Forester.

We now have new '21 Forester and as winter approches, I am wondering the same: Go with All-Weather again or get dedicated snow. I know the All-Weather won't stop as well as their Hakkapelita when you're our on the ice of a frozen lake, but I recall reading that the All-Weather do stop better than some brand-name winters. I also recall reading they do better in the wet and dry than dedicated winters, and reality is, Toronto winters are wet and dry the majority of the time. Looking through the forum, a lot of the hits for Nokians are quite old, so I'm interested to see what (if) anyone else has to say.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Forester
136 Posts
@Justin0009 all-weather has been around for a while now, I don't know if I would call it a "new breed". At one point Nokians were the only game in town, but it seems like crappy tire and others are hoping on the all-weather band wagon.

I just wish insurance would give me the winter discount as the tires had the snowflake rating, but they slip out of it by requiring the tires to be taken off and on in fall/spring to count.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
15 Posts
@exp1634
I have the same vehicle but a 2020 model. Just switched out my OEM Falkens with the new BF Goodrich Trail Terrain TA tires. I played it safe and kept the stock tire size. They are severe snow rated and come with a 60K mile warranty. We put Falken WildPeaks on my wife’s 2019 Outback and they are severe snow rated too. Great looking ride btw! 😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts