Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport - Orange Delete
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone come up with a traction board mount for the interior of their Forester?

I don't have a roof rack, and would prefer to not have one. I currently have traction boards in their bag in the footwell between the front and rear seats which works fine, but I'd love to have that space available for storing camping gear when I head out.

Had the idea to possibly mount them on top of the rear luggage cover, across the aluminum bar. That way they are up out of the way, are not blocking my view out the rear window (rear headrests would be higher), and still easily accessible.

Obviously if I need to use them and they get super dirty, I can throw them back in the bag.

Anyway, figured I would drop a note here before trying to MacGyver up something.

This was just a quick 'could this even work?':
Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Cheers

·
Registered
2022 Forester Wilderness
30 Posts
Looks like an interesting idea to me. I wonder If the little aluminum crossmember is strong enough to have the weight of the traction boards, especially on uneven roads.

If it works, I may try it myself, although my boards fit underneath my box of recovery gear pretty nicely in the back, and I'm not sure what I'd be able to slide in that gap if I had that extra room...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had the idea to possibly mount them on top of the rear luggage cover, across the aluminum bar. That way they are up out of the way, are not blocking my view out the rear window (rear headrests would be higher), and still easily accessible
I’d prefer the traction boards flat and secured on the cargo floor. In a sudden emergency maneuver or hard braking those stiff boards could become a projectile. The traction boards are relatively flat and don’t take a lot of space. Find a way to mount them vertically against the side wall or horizontally on the cargo floor is my suggestion.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport - Orange Delete
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder If the little aluminum crossmember is strong enough to have the weight of the traction boards, especially on uneven roads.
It seemed pretty sturdy with them rested on top, so I am hopeful.

In a sudden emergency maneuver or hard braking those stiff boards could become a projectile.

Find a way to mount them vertically against the side wall or horizontally on the cargo floor is my suggestion.
haha yeah I would definitely be securing them as much as possible with some kind of actual mount.

I hadn't considered trying to put them somewhere vertically 🤔

·
Registered
2004 Forester xt
162 Posts
Now this got my head spinning. Someone should make a thinner set of traction boards out of aluminum and mount them under the car as a skid plate until they are needed hmmm. Of course this doent fall into the inside part of this thread.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
3,379 Posts
Mount brackets or hangers to the back of the rear seats, they are metal frames under the covers.
I like that idea - Safely out of the way and even with a loaded hatch area, just drop the seats forward and instant access.

Someone should make a thinner set of traction boards out of aluminum and mount them under the car as a skid plate until they are needed...
I'm thinkin' that when you actually need traction boards, pulling them out from under the car when it is stuck in the mud, or having to dig out the snow to get to them would make that placement less than ideal....;)

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
397 Posts
Looking at the picture, it appears they could flip up and slide down behind the rear seat-back.

My Subaru size traction boards, store down where the fake spare went. Along with an ax, shovel and other items that could be useful when stuck.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring (Canadian version)
413 Posts
What about those nets that sit up on the ceiling, attached to the 4 grab bars? Not sure if they can support the weight without sagging but if they can, they would be out of the way up there and easy to grab from the back.

EDIT: looks like you already have one of those nets up on the ceiling so obviously this won't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts