Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Cool. I'm still wondering whether the 18mm Cusco bar is enough, or maybe combined with the +2mm front sway bar for a substantial effect.

As this is the only MY19+ bar set I've seen.

No, the roll is not awful, but I enjoy good handling and have no need for lateral flexibility. (Except the holes in the road here and there. I assume it doesn't harshen the ride considerably.)

·
Registered
2019 canadian convenience
266 Posts
.I,ve read through previous answers quickly, but here's my .02c..
I don't believe in strut bars for newer subaru's. If you install one as the only enhancement and feel the difference, good for you, but I think it's a mental differrence. It has to be done as a whole. You have to determine what you don't like about the handling, and/or what you want to do with the car
For example, I find that the MY19+ have a huge weight transfer under heavy braking, and it makes the rear very loose. Personally, i find this borderline dangerous. Body roll is also present, but we have to remember it's a suv, not a sport car. So for me, lowering springs will add a stiffer spring which compensate the weigh bias, and will help with the body roll (stiffer spring, and lower COG). I'm cheap and will not bring it to a track, so coilovers (good ones) are not an option. Overall, this will make my life happy.
Now, stiffer swaybars will help with the body roll while cornering, as it's like the suspension was harder to move (figure of speech). Adding a rsb only will aid with the pronounce understeert he car has, while changing both will keep it more neutral but stiffer. Keep in mind, the good old day of fitting a huge RSB in the back of a subaru to make it rotare like a rwd are long gone with all the electronics it have.
Last but not least: tires. Even with a combination of previous points, if you keep those squishy walled tires, nothing will change. It will be the tire the weakest/sloppy point.

Like I said, my personnal preference ad experience. There is not a lot of performance oriented parts for it yet, but when the newer wrx and sti evolve o the next gen platform, we might get more choice. We are limited, as only the imprea and the newer bodied crosstrek share this platform, and ppl are more prone to jack it up compare to have a more sportier set-up...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
lowering springs...stiffer swaybars ...Last but not least: tires.
Thanks for the info.

I suppose you mean changing my stock 16" 60-series to 18" 50/55-series?

Or can I just use a better (performance-oriented) 16" 60-series tire?

·
Registered
2020 2.5i, White, Gray Interior.
45 Posts
Sounds like you may have purchased the wrong car. It is labeled a SUV which are inherently taller have more ground clearance. Lowering the suspension and a wider series tires defeats the notion of a SUV.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I suppose you mean changing my stock 16" 60-series to 18" 50/55-series?

Or can I just use a better (performance-oriented) 16" 60-series tire?
One or the other, or both. I've replaced my stock 17'' for 18'' performance oriented tires. Not ultra performance so they don't wear out in a summer, but grippier with a stiffer sidewall.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sounds like you may have purchased the wrong car. It is labeled a SUV which are inherently taller have more ground clearance. Lowering the suspension and a wider series tires defeats the notion of a SUV.
If Subaru could bring the Levorg or a Legacy Wagon, I would be rolling in one instead of a Foz ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wanted the awesome visibility that only the Forester provides. Otherwise, yeah, I don't want a loose suspension.

There's a market for lowering springs, sway bars, etc for the Forester. Even Subaru has a trim w/ 18" 55-series tires. So, I guess a lot of people have the 'wrong' idea.

Didn't mean to frustrate anyone.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts