Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a week on my 2021 Base and I'm happy to say the eyesight isn't nearly as bad as I had expected. I still wished I didn't have it but I don't tailgate or weave so Eyesight almost never kicks in and doesn't bother me enough to turn it off every time I start the car. I've come to the realization that Eyesight was created because of all the people staring at their phones while driving, asleep, and/or Drunk behind the wheel. This generation Forester is soo much better than my 17 I'm very happy overall. I wish the auto stop and electronic hand brake were gone but you can't have it all. I'm pleasantly surprised. If it breaks out of warranty there would be no way I would pay to fix it however. This will be our 6th forester, life is good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for moving me out of "Technical Forums", don't know how I did that. I meant to put it under "Forester Shopping" since this delayed my purchase for almost a year, can it be moved there instead? I was intending to help a buyer who is against Eyesight as much as I am. Thank you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
FYI there are solutions to make AS/S into a toggle that survives engine restarts. There's a thread on this site. I just posted my experience with one such product.

Reactions: Inactive_567584

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium 2.5x Automatic 4sp
223 Posts
FYI there are solutions to make AS/S into a toggle that survives engine restarts. There's a thread on this site. I just posted my experience with one such product.
OP has base model. So no solution for disabling as/s. You need RAB option, right?

·
Registered
89 Posts
OP has base model. So no solution for disabling as/s. You need RAB option, right?
The product I used plugged into the RAB wiring harness, but there are others. The same company offers one that tucks into the upper electronics pod, and piggybacks on the EyeSight wiring harness.

This is the thread I mentioned, and my post in it, for those so interested:

·
Registered
78 Posts
That used to be the case, but when the 2020 outback came out they had to design another. That solution works with all trims, but is more complicated to install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited by Moderator)
I understand why many like the added safety, but after years of riding a Motorcycle, my attention is always 100%. I wished it wasn't 100% so I could relax a little but that mentality hasn't left my head even after not having a bike for 2 years now. I find the beeps distracting which isn't safe but fortunately you can turn the volume down so it's even less noticeable. To be fair, I wished the 2 people who rear ended me had this, especially the guy who was drunk and hit me doing about 45 MPH while I was sitting at a red light. Most Chicago area drivers will likely benefit from having this I must admit. Life is good.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,150 Posts
In this corner: Driver with perfect situational awareness 100% of the time.

In that corner: A world full of bad drivers determined to kill him.

Who do you bet on? Remember, the match lasts a lifetime, and to win the world only has to land one punch.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,982 Posts
@P-Dawg - I'm still a current MC rider, and I know what you mean.
The mindset that you are invisible to everyone except those that are trying to kill you isn't actually a bad idea when driving a car, but perhaps not as essential as when you are on two wheels.

Unfortunately, Eyesight does nothing to prevent the rear end collision you noted ... unless the other driver behind you has it.

Like any system, it has limitations and can cause unintended consequences...
My concern with the equipment would be along the lines of when EyeSight could cause an accident.
Emergency braking because a tumbleweed or a plastic bag engages the system to prevent a non-event and where it could cause a major event because that large heavy truck behind you is not expecting your car to panic stop in the middle of the interstate.

Not to say that is a common event, (although these things have been reported on this site - The braking, not the impact) but if you are driving in windy conditions where EyeSight could engage inappropriately, it's probably a good idea to turn it off.

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
834 Posts
Emergency braking because a tumbleweed or a plastic bag engages the system to prevent a non-event and where it could cause a major event because that large heavy truck behind you is not expecting your car to panic stop in the middle of the interstate.
Eyesight does not just slam on the brakes. It gives both a visual and sound warning to give drivers the option to cancel braking, and if there is still no driver input it first applies only moderate braking for several seconds before applying maximum braking force.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
902 Posts
@DragonSubie7 said:

“Emergency braking because a tumbleweed or a plastic bag engages the system to prevent a non-event and where it could cause a major event because that large heavy truck behind you is not expecting your car to panic stop in the middle of the interstate.”

I completely understand that point of view...

I see it a little differently... the odds of tumbleweed in upstate SC are all but zero, and I can probably count on my fingers the number of times a bag has blown out in front of me in the range Eyesight covers. Of course, there are other things that can do the same things, and the point of getting rear-ended is a definite possibility. OTOH, it’s much more likely that, at my age (mid-60’s), I’ll miss something that Eyesight will see and do what I should have done long before it ever becomes an issue.

While I’m in reasonably good health and have excellent eyesight, there’s no denying my reflex’s aren’t what they used to be. I rode motorcycles all across the USA and western Europe into my early 60’s, then I hung up my helmet due to the increased number of distracted drivers and distraction devices in place in modern vehicles. I finally realized the hazards to my health had significantly increased and there wasn’t anything I could do about it, other that to cease being an “easy target”.

And, far more vehicles on the road don’t have any auto-collision avoidance systems than those that do...

So, for me, I’ll accept the risk/return ration that Eyesight provides... but, that’s just my opinion...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I mostly gave up Motorcycles for the same reason. When I started in 2001 you would get an occasional person who would swerve into you without warning, a few years ago it got to the point where only a loud pipe made things better and I hate loud pipes so I focused on my other hobbies and sold my bikes.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
7 Posts
I'm glad Eyesight is there for those who want and/or need it. But I will not tolerate Eyesight in my own vehicle.

In fact, while I'll keep my 2016 Forester (no Eyesight) for a while yet, I will limit future purchases to vehicles that either A) don't have "driver assistance" technology or B) allow it to be fully turned off.

If I really need a vehicle and all have it and it can't be turned off, I'll start pulling fuses. If pulling fuses results in unintended consquences like also deactivating a critical system, then I'll buy used.

It's looking less likely that I'll buy another Subaru because of this single issue alone.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
282 Posts
I'm happy with EyeSight in our '17 (now at 4 years, 59,000 miles). It beeps from time to time, and while most of that time, I didn't need the help, I did "deserve the warning" due to my own sloppy lane-keeping. The Lane Keeping Assist (the feature you turn on like the cruise control) I'm less impressed by - I've never thought it was helping much. But I don't mind its effects much either, it's a neutral for the most part.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.