Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing the head unit in my 2021 Forester (6.5"), but was wondering what happens to the settings that are set through it. I'm assuming there is no way to change these (auto lock/unlock, cabin light etc) once the OEM one is gone, so will they permanently stay how they are currently set, or will the go back to defaults when the battery is disconnected?

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
660 Posts
The head unit does not control those features
Also what trim level do you have?

The head unit only controls the audio and back up camera screen. Your ECM controls door locks and other engine stuff.

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just the base 2.5i. These are the settings I am talking about.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,517 Posts
@Vool welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Please complete your "Public Profile"! Not completing your Public Profile could result in your thread(s) being closed... locked or your thread post(s) being deleted!
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
660 Posts
Ah.. I see what you mean now.
Looks like the screen is tied to the info-part of the system. In that case I would make sure your new stereo can handle the info part of the display.
As far as I know there are very few adapters that work with aftermarket head units for the 2020+ foresters. The aftermarket companies are slow to keep up with factory interface. Aka licenses and patens red tape.

So....in other words or at lest what I found was this:
"An iDatalink-ready car stereo is required to retain your vehicle's personalization settings menu."

So...what that means is you need to find a fairly new head unit.

·
Premium Member
2019 Subaru Forester Limited CVT
66 Posts
Aren't those settings duplicated either on the dashboard top display or the one in between the speedometer and tach using the steering wheel buttons? I thought they were I could be wrong. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So....in other words or at lest what I found was this:
"An iDatalink-ready car stereo is required to retain your vehicle's personalization settings menu."

So...what that means is you need to find a fairly new head unit.
If this is true I guess I'll just shelve the idea for now. Thanks.

Aren't those settings duplicated either on the dashboard top display or the one in between the speedometer and tach using the steering wheel buttons? I thought they were I could be wrong. Just a thought.
I don't remember seeing them on either, but I'll have another look around tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
If this is true I guess I'll just shelve the idea for now. Thanks.

I don't remember seeing them on either, but I'll have another look around tomorrow.
I was wrong. I was digging around in my menus earlier today and the settings on the radio are unique to just the radio. I find it interesting that every screen has its own group of settings when it would be so much easier to combine everything in one spot. I'm not sure if one of those maestro devices would be able to pull those radio specific settings up or not.

·
Registered
2021 Forester 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wrong.
No, you were correct! I had a look today and they are under car settings on the little screen by the speedo. Could swear I looked in there before and there were less settings.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
You're right. I have no idea how I missed it. I went back and looked again and the settings were there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts