Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2021 - Front & Rear Diff Fluid Change?

('19+) 
27K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  GoofyGoalie 
#1 ·
Team, my 60K mile service is coming up on Monday. One dealer recommended doing a diff fluid change and the other stated it was not necessary unless the vehicle has been used to tow. All highway type driving since day 1. Should I get the F&R diff fluid changed or let it go? Dealer wants $139 plus tax. Thank you!

#47 ·
I heard the stories from this forum a lot. If I want to be over-charged. I would have bought a BMW or Range Rover. Find a local indie shop you trust.
I get that some folks find it easier to just have the shop do it. No hassles of getting under the car, etc, AND you don't have to dispose of the fluids.

For me, it's 2 hours of drive time to the dealer and back, vs maybe 30 minutes of leisurely taking my time, and a 3 minute drive to Autozone to dispose of the oil, when I have accumulated the 5 gallon per visit limit.

So whatever's more convenient for the situation. At least the maintenance is getting done. The "How" is not as important.
I do rely on my local dealership for OE parts, warranty works and so on. I am not calling it stealership like some other members on the board. However, if You want things done right, you can only rely on yourself. I often have to double check the vehicles after dealership tech worked on them. The most critical thing is they often over-torque everything. if anybody, the dealer tech should know the torque spec of Subies. It appears that they need to do so many oil changes or tire rotations a day, they just air-gun everything to get them out of the shop quickly. change fluids involves letting gravity do its job and measuring the right CVT temp. I just think for a owner with basic tools and can follow directions, I feel the chance is better it is done correctly and consistently by its owner. I am not a dealer basher but hearing the charges for maybe 10 minute worth of work by the dealer, I just got really confused why they cost so much since they are no major difference than other bands of cars?

#46 ·
I get that some folks find it easier to just have the shop do it. No hassles of getting under the car, etc, AND you don't have to dispose of the fluids.

For me, it's 2 hours of drive time to the dealer and back, vs maybe 30 minutes of leisurely taking my time, and a 3 minute drive to Autozone to dispose of the oil, when I have accumulated the 5 gallon per visit limit.

So whatever's more convenient for the situation. At least the maintenance is getting done. The "How" is not as important.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.