Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
ObjCelery: Those tax numbers on top of the item fees look suspect. Arizona is 5.6% tax yes? Are you looking to finance or lease, over what terms? Question the following items: Door Protect? Express Code? You're also asking for additional window tint on top of what the Forester comes with already?
I checked and the sales tax is right, becuase the city Tuscon is 8.7%. I got quoted at another dealership and got ~800 less off TTL&Fees off a premium (500 is from tax difference, 300 saved from dealer feels) , but still came out to $3731 In arizona. That money includes 500$ for Doc Fee and 500$ from window tints. Out here in arizona it seems like dealers install the window tint before they hit the lot so i don't have a say, which I guess makes sense given the weather here, but thats a rip off for a tint.

Has anyone had luck negotiating Doc Fees?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I checked and the sales tax is right, becuase the city Tuscon is 8.7%. I got quoted at another dealership and got ~800 less off TTL&Fees off a premium (500 is from tax difference, 300 saved from dealer feels) , but still came out to $3731 In arizona. That money includes 500$ for Doc Fee and 500$ from window tints. Out here in arizona it seems like dealers install the window tint before they hit the lot so i don't have a say, which I guess makes sense given the weather here, but thats a rip off for a tint.

Has anyone had luck negotiating Doc Fees?
The way I look at it is making an offer for out the door price, it is up to them if they will discount the MSRP or Doc fees. We all know they are adding the mats and other crap for at least $1k so the MSRP is already fluffed with things that used to be added at the dealer but now are added at port and included in the MSRP to make it more "official"

·
Registered
22 Posts
Background about me: based in NYC and this is my first car to own.
TLDR;

• Bought a new 2021 Forester Touring with Liberty Subaru in NJ
  • Total was roughly $36k after tax + dmv + add-ons + aftermarket stuff I got

I picked up my 2021 Touring about a month ago. My wife and I were looking to get a SUV, and the candidates were RAV4, CRV and CX-5. My sister-in-law owns an old Outback so my wife suggested we gave Forester a try as well. I was reluctant at first because I didn't really like the logo and Subaru cars aren't exactly the prettiest to me.

We went to LI and did a test drive in a 2021 Premium with a friend's referral. The guy gave us 34.5k for touring with the usual popular package. We left believing there was room to negotiate.

We went to a dealer at night the next day in Queens. The sale agent was very nice and interactive, but comparing to the LI price, his boss was only offering me $500 discount. They couldn't do any lower.

We left and I told my wife I would do more research. I found this site and then someone recommended me to look at Liberty Subaru (SubaruForester.ORG Buying Program - Liberty Subaru -...).

Dan, one of the sales managers, responded and gave me a number. Do the math, knocked off almost 3k from what the rest of the city dealers would offer. As usual, I asked if he could offer anything better (hey, a $1 saving is still saving), but he said that's the best price he could offer.

I get it, you know, and plus the price is indeed very attractive and their dealership isn't far from NYC, roughly 45 minutes drive if I take the toll. So I said sure let's do it.

He gave me very good discount on the official parts. With everything, like I said, about $36k. Along the way someone on this forum dropped an Easter egg and gave me $500 voucher so thank you!!!

We got the metallic gray + brown leather seat. It is great. If you want a good dealer, give Dan a PM and he will set you up. They don't push on selling their dealership stuff, including extended warranty (they did mention at closing but they weren't pushy at all, so that's very respectful!).

If you are in the tri-state area, give them a call. I am not paid for this review, just want to share words.

If you are curious the parts I got:

• splash guard
  • auto dimming mirror + auto dimming side mirrors
  • underguard engine plate
  • side door scuff

I got myself husky all weather X-ACT CONTOUR floor mats. It is indeed soft and comfortable to put foot on.

The #1 thing my wife and I love about the forester is the window being so big! :D good view.

I also bought backseat protector + cargo mat separately after signing from the vendor here, but it turns out the touring model already comes with the cargo mat so I have an extra I plan to sell.

So while $36k a lot, consider, it's basically everything together, and NYS sales tax is just not fun. I also did 72 months - heck, the $200 saving could be use for stock and a couple beers :p

Edit

Some thoughts on dealership. The guy we went to in LI was not very, hmmm, interested in closing IMO. He gave off the vibe "you either pay our price or you can go somewhere else". We asked a bunch of questions about the car and he gave me a bunch of "not sure, let me look at the bourche, hmmm". The guy in Queens was much more friendlier, sincere and was very patient with us. I almost convinced myself to get their $34k+ offer but I talked myself out of it.

See, if you give me a good discount + good experience, I probably would just give you my business.

·
Registered
2017 forrester
1 Posts
Just placed a deposite on a 2021 forester limited fully loaded ($2875 in options) for OTD price of $35,650. I will also separately purchase an extended 8/80k gold warranty for $1395. Dealership is in Springfield, NJ. Hope this helps. Financing is 1.9% for 48 months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ended up finding a forester sport for 29.8k with
-Package 24 (Bigger screen, RAB, Power rear gate, upgraded audio)
-Popular package #2 (Homelink autodim mirror, ext autodim mirror, cargonet, rear bumper cover, all floor weather) .
Comes out to 33.8K out the door. Think im gonna go with it, but these arizona fees are brutal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ended up finding a forester sport for 29.8k with
-Package 24 (Bigger screen, RAB, Power rear gate, upgraded audio)
-Popular package #2 (Homelink autodim mirror, ext autodim mirror, cargonet, rear bumper cover, all floor weather) .
Comes out to 33.8K out the door. Think im gonna go with it, but these arizona fees are brutal.
$29.8k sounds great, but woah, how is it $4000 in fees/taxes? Ask them to review and explain the itemized lines with you extra carefully. My recent 2021 Sport deal in NJ was total fees/taxes of $2275, and I thought that was high.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just placed a deposite on a 2021 forester limited fully loaded ($2875 in options) for OTD price of $35,650. I will also separately purchase an extended 8/80k gold warranty for $1395. Dealership is in Springfield, NJ. Hope this helps. Financing is 1.9% for 48 months.
Great price on the Ext. Warranty (y).

·
Registered
11 Posts
$29.8k sounds great, but woah, how is it $4000 in fees/taxes? Ask them to review and explain the itemized lines with you extra carefully. My recent 2021 Sport deal in NJ was total fees/taxes of $2275, and I thought that was high.
In Arizona my taxes are 2500, plus 300 for a window tint that every dealer seems to install. License and registration is 500. Doc fees are 400 which is a joke, and it's 200 for a vehicle theft registration

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,575 Posts
Hello everyone.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2021 Forester.
Does anyone know if my SJ crossbars will fir the SK?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking to pull the trigger on one for the wife. Premium Option package 15, popular package 1 with the rear seat protector. Wanted feed back if this is a good deal or is their more room for them to neg. Below is the breakdown With Lifetime warrantee on drivetrain. Out the door is $28,825.20. Am able to get $28,100 out the door at another dealership, but no lifetime waranty.
MSRP $27,795
Option package 15 $1095
Popular package 1 $1012
Rear seat protector $ 120
D&D $1050
Doc fee $ 679
Tax $ 850.20
Plates etc $ 135.

Is this a good deal! New to the web site so appreciate the feed back. Had a 2012 outback with 221,000 with the notorious oil consumption issue.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,575 Posts
Hello NorCal & SF Bay Area friends.
Did anyone recently buy a maintenance package?
Where & how much did you pay?
Thanks a lot & happy holidays to all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Pennsylvania. Suppose to be the best time to purchase a new vehicle. Looking to purchase 2021 Forester Touring MSRP $37008. Best price is $32832 plus tax, title, and registration. Price negotiated via email. Is this a good deal or should I wait until next year? Please advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in Pennsylvania. Suppose to be the best time to purchase a new vehicle. Looking to purchase 2021 Forester Touring MSRP $37008. Best price is $32832 plus tax, title, and registration. Price negotiated via email. Is this a good deal or should I wait until next year? Please advise. Thanks.
I would get quotes for PA, NJ and the next state if not to far away and let them complete against themselves. I did see a difference between registration and tags and their paperwork fee's. I bought in NC when I am. If one of them is close to meeting sales goals they my be a little more flexible. Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5-sp
7 Posts
So adaptive cruise control is standard then? nice!! Once you have it, you never want to go back.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1,575 Posts
@wlsnwng
I just got the offer thru Consumer Reports for 32k & change on a nearly identical Forrester in Northern California.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
538 Posts
People please do not use "Out The Door" figures without breaking it down. While important knowing what you will be paying it is meaningless for comparison. TTL costs can vary thousands of dollars state to state or county to county.
MSRP
Invoice
Individual accessory/add-on costs
Price paid for those items
Then list individual TTL and any dealer fees

With that info people can compare apples to apples from across the country or across the street.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So speaking of my experience buying from a dealer in NJ (see my comment #63), the price you are getting $32832 is pretty competitve and aligned with my touring. I'd say if you can get it from your home state and it's not a long drive, go for it.
No point ion waiting until next year unless you really want to say that interest rate to 0%, which means u gotta wait another 9 months or so and it's gonna take a bit of shopping to get touring in that instance because everyone's trying to grab one for 0% like this year. I say if you can get one now just get it :) give yourself a nice 2021 present.

Anyway, I think you should also argue for more discount for parts. Since we are both touring, I highly recommend looking at getting parts that YOU ACTUALLY WANT. Again, see my comment #63 :)
Good luck.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts