Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a new Premium. I love the car. I think I would have paid the extra for a Touring if I knew of the limitations of updating the cars electronics firmware. The Premium is still a $30,000 car that needs to be cared for. Do I have to visit the dealer to get a firmware update?

·
Registered
'21 Limited - '04 XS
14 Posts
As far as I know there is no difference with models when it comes to updating the software of the vehicle. You can do it yourself if you are able to get your car connected to Wifi.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Premium doesn’t see to have that ability as it has a different Entertainment/System than the Touring.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Sport
31 Posts
The Premium doesn’t see to have that ability as it has a different Entertainment/System than the Touring.
You are correct. However, you can update yourself with a USB stick and the update file. I believe the update can be downloaded from MySubaru, but I’m not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium CVT
15 Posts
The 2019 Premium update must be done at the dealer. I've had it done twice when I had the car in for an oil change. My dealer won't update the system just because there is a newer update available; the customer must have a complaint about the system. My exact words were the infotainment system has been "wonky". I was having random reboots and freezes, especially when using Android Auto. I haven't had any issues on the latest version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We set our Limited to check for updates automatically via wifi when it connects to our home router. It seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT
133 Posts
From what I'm reading here, it seems that the 6.5" units can't be updated via wifi, but the 8.0" units can? Please correct me if I'm wrong. That seems like a great feature to have. I finally just had the dealer update my 7.0" in my 2017, they were so nice to do it for me.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
386 Posts
I don't have the latest firmware for the SK models, but if someone gets an STIS subscription and downloads them, along with the latest TSB on the updates, I'll be happy to add them to my Google Drive and make them accessible for all.

The latest firmware I have is Rel_UA 19.36.70.

It looks like the latest firmware is Rel_UA.20.38.70

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium ES CVT
133 Posts
Part of my wish list for the 2022 is to make the 8" unit standard on the lower trim levels, at least the Premium. I can't imagine getting a new car with a smaller screen than my old car! Plus over the air updates make it far more appealing!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
256 Posts
Part of my wish list for the 2022 is to make the 8" unit standard on the lower trim levels, at least the Premium. I can't imagine getting a new car with a smaller screen than my old car! Plus over the air updates make it far more appealing!
I've had my 2019 Touring for 2 years now, so I've done several updates. The first time was over my home WiFi and it was very S-L-O-W. I have very good home internet & WiFi. After that, I used the USB stick method and it was many times faster. I've used that method ever since. So a lack of WiFi updates shouldn't stress you out.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
386 Posts
Latest TSB…
Thanks. That confirms that the latest firmware is Rel.20.38.70.

I'll happily share the files on my Google Drive if someone gets them. As there's no update for my SJ, I'm not going to pay for a subscription at this point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Man, that guy has some awesome posts!

I thought I had posted that here, but when I looked on the archive on my hard drive, I had the previous set of firmware only updates, not that set. Glad I wasn’t misremembering things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts