Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Premium XV CVT
40 Posts
Refundability on cancellation varies by state. In New York State, it is 100% refundable within 90 days if you have not filed a claim based upon my Gold Plus Service Agreement (p. 10).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I walked from the extra pressure to purchase the plan, when I didn't bite they tried to work with my wife while I was looking over the Forester. I told them if they tried that again the deal was over.
I have made claims with the 3/36 and the games of what was covered or not and then the "extra stuff" the mechanics "found" during a repair on the otherside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
205 Posts
felt like i was pressured into buying the dealers gold warranty at added $1450.00 for six years 80k
what do you kind folds think, was i taken? little worried about some of stories about oil consumption...thank you ahead of time! great forum
Baloney. You simply caved. You should be able to go back and have them rescind it ...if it hasn't been too long. Fifteen Hundred bucks ...think of it this way: if you can afford to give $1500 to the dealer warranty program why can't you give it to yourself for your own "warranty" fund? Take that $1500 and put it in a savings account. Add to it. Bring it up to a level you'd like to have for big ticket repairs and keep it funded when you use it. The beauty of it? It's still your money and if you don't use it, you get to keep it. What you're betting on is your Subie is gonna cost you at least $1500 in repairs over the term of the warranty. If it doesn't? They win. And they win a lot. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing these cow pie extended warranties like they do. And I'll bet you still have to pay a deductible so it's gonna cost you more to beat that $1500 break even point.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester premium
225 Posts
felt like i was pressured into buying the dealers gold warranty at added $1450.00 for six years 80k
what do you kind folds think, was i taken? little worried about some of stories about oil consumption...thank you ahead of time! great forum
Oh and I forgot to add this..No I dont think you were forced..your acting as if you were powerless to say no and..there is a difference in a slippery(to use a nicer term) dealership switching up interest rates or doing a bait and switch or some such...but all they simply did was try to sell you a product to which as a adult you just say..No thanks....if they bothered me again and tried pressing it..id say 1 more word about that warranty and I walk...and if they said anything more id walk..you may have been hard sold or they may have pushed it..thats on the dealership some do, some dont..you as a ADULT have 2 options..but some people have a hard time saying no I guess.

1. Say NO
2. Buy elsewhere

Like I said in my other post my dealership did mention it they said here are a few things we offer they had it on a big card..they said we will be in the office if you have any questions..they let us read it while they were doing paperwork,,, I expected them to ask about it again but they never did..near the end of the deal I had to bring up the warranty again because personally I WANTED it...I got the bumper to bumper no deductible to 100K/10 years..I wanted it becasue these new cars have WAY WAY too many computers and touch screens that if they need replaced at 7 years down the road and 75,000 miles I dont want to be THOUSANDS out of pocket..peace of mind for me having it. but had they hard sold me/pushed it and I DIDNT want it as I knew id sell it soon after the warranty was up if have used the little 2 letter word NO.. Yuo just didnt use that word..

·
Registered
2015 FORESTER AUTO
14 Posts
Consumer Reports:
“The fact is, extended warranties are overpriced. That’s the reason people sell them, because they make a bundle on them in commissions,” says a money expert and radio talk show host, Dave Ramsey. “I don’t recommend buying extended warranties, ever. If you can’t afford to repair your car, then you can’t afford the car.”
Instead, Ramsey recommends that owners create an emergency fund for repairs that they can tap into when needed. And if that money isn’t needed for repairs, it can go toward the purchase of the next car.:

Should You Get an Extended Warranty for Your Car?
Some car buyers want extra protection, but these plans aren’t for everyone:

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
26 Posts
Guys, Subaru sends me Added Security extended warranty for Bumper to Bumper (BTB) and Power Train. This warranty is the extended from an original warranty 3/36,000 to 6/60,000 for $750. I was just wondering how many people buy this and anyone has to ever use this at all in your Subaru driving journey? What about Gold Plus warranty? I didn't buy that one but I start to think that I may need this Gold Plus warranty over the Added Security option. Thought, advice, is welcome, I'm a newbie of the Subie world :).

·
Registered
225 Posts
Guys, Subaru sends me Added Security extended warranty for Bumper to Bumper (BTB) and Power Train. This warranty is the extended from an original warranty 3/36,000 to 6/60,000 for $750. I was just wondering how many people buy this and anyone has to ever use this at all in your Subaru driving journey? What about Gold Plus warranty? I didn't buy that one but I start to think that I may need this Gold Plus warranty over the Added Security option. Thought, advice, is welcome, I'm a newbie of the Subie world :).
They quickly mentioned it to me but I WANTED it. IMO there is just too much crap on todays cars especially Subarus electronics wise from computer modules, to touch screens,to the eyesight system and all its inner workings...last thing I wanted was to hit 65K and have some electronic computer,sensor,module,screen, eyesight conk out and I hear X $$thousand to fix it...I wanted all this stuff covered for at least 10/100K ...after that IMO if something breaks ..ok i will deal with it...but till then I wanted it covered...the things im least concerned with with a Subaru going wrong are the drivetrain...pretty good platform...but with ANY brand its those now days computer,electronics heavy things that when they go wrong are a PITA and $$$$$$ to fix...Just depends on what kind of $$ you have, if its readily liquid in a moments notice if you need it for a expensive 1K+ repair

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
26 Posts
Hey Subaru lovers, I got 3 quotes from 3 different Subaru's dealers in Houston Texas. The quotation is as follows:

Gold Plus warranty (I chose this one because it covers more than classic one).
1) Gillman $1,365 8/80000/100, $1,950 10/100000/100 (Year/mileage/deductible). They sent me outdated brochure and the cover is quite different from the one Superior Subaru sends. Right now I'm leaning toward 2.
2) Superior Subaru $1,070 8/80000/100, $1,620 10/100000/100. They sent me this brochure
3) West Houston Subaru, $1,595 8/80000/100, $2,395 10/100000/100

#2 is my choice but why isn't that price so much different? They sent me coverage also, what else must I know or ask to make sure that I get the right one. Is it ok as I bought the car from Gillman but buy extended warranty from Superior. Thought, suggestion, advice is welcome, equip me with all knowledge is much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey Subaru lovers, I got 3 quotes from 3 different Subaru's dealers in Houston Texas. The quotation is as follows:

Gold Plus warranty (I chose this one because it covers more than classic one).
1) Gillman $1,365 8/80000/100, $1,950 10/100000/100 (Year/mileage/deductible). They sent me outdated brochure and the cover is quite different from the one Superior Subaru sends. Right now I'm leaning toward 2.
2) Superior Subaru $1,070 8/80000/100, $1,620 10/100000/100. They sent me this brochure
3) West Houston Subaru, $1,595 8/80000/100, $2,395 10/100000/100

#2 is my choice but why isn't that price so much different? They sent me coverage also, what else must I know or ask to make sure that I get the right one. Is it ok as I bought the car from Gillman but buy extended warranty from Superior. Thought, suggestion, advice is welcome, equip me with all knowledge is much appreciated!!!
IMO depends on how much the dealership adds on to make more $$ in their pocket...im only guessing this is a standard(extended) warranty given to every dealership at X price...and then the dealership sets their price to YOU...the difference between that price to dealer and price to you is what the dealership can pocket..

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,737 Posts
The car vs warranty purchase location does not matter. The Subaru Gold + warranty is underwritten by Subaru and is valid at ANY Subaru dealer - no matter where you bought the Subaru or the warranty protection.

The variance in price is (as mentioned) mostly about dealer profit and sales numbers. Looks like Superior is more interested in selling you the warranty (based on price).

As you know, the sales person you bought the car from gets the commission from the sale of the car to you. The folks in the F&I department (where you sign all the documents and pay for the warranty and other potential additions). That's where the F&I person makes their commission - from what they sell you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts