Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have info. on the 2021 models? When do they arrive? Any major changes and improvements? Any price increases?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Don't think that any of it has been released yet. Probably modest price increase (as usual)... probably no change, thanks to "the 'rona"... with production having been halted (and since resumed) all over the world - they'll probably start trickling in maybe in September.. There have often been mild tweaks at the mid-cycle refresh, which SHOULD be for the 2021 models, based on history and previous generations. Don't expect much other than maybe a change to colors, textures, may be some alteration to the light modules (head, tail) and some options changing to standard or equipment juggling in packages.

Everything I've read is all "we expect" and "we could see" and the like. Nothing firm from Subaru that I've seen or found. I've checked carsdirect.com, edmunds.com and other sites... NOTE - disregard the "carindigo.com" site as it is even MORE speculative but seems to try to imply that their speculation is fact.

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. We are currently shopping for a 2020 Premium. Based on your comment it's not worth waiting for the 2021 model. We'll work on getting the best deal on 2020 model.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Any particular reason you're shopping for a 2020? Is it going to replace the 2014? If so, any particular reason why beyond just wanting something new?

I'd suggest to search through many of the different threads on the site to see what people's gripes have been about the new SK (2019 - 2020) Forester, most notably the "auto stop start" system (a-s-s for short). Some like it, some ignore it and most abhor it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
67 Posts
We gave my 2015 Forester to our grand daughter who just turned 16. And bought a 2020 Forester Touring which I love! I love all the safety features ... including start/stop. I don't even notice the start/stop anymore. It's really smooth. Our Forester's build date was Jan 2020 before the virus took hold and bought the vehicle, sight unseen, while it was "in transit" from Japan. We took delivery in late April.

To get all the safety features, including "lane centering," we had a get a Touring model.

Lane centering is different than "lane keep" or "lane assist." Lane centering will keep the car in the center of a well marked lane, even at 60 mph, around a sweeping S curve, with your hands off the wheel. (Not that I recommend that, although my husband loves to show friends how that works).

I think it's possible that Subaru will follow suit with other manufacturers and migrate safety features only found in top-of-the-line models down to lower models in 2021. Many of those features (such as eye sight) are already included in most models.

FYI ... There was nothing was wrong with the 2015 Forester what so ever. It never gave us a lick of problems. We just wanted our grand daughter to be driving in a really safe car and we could afford to buy ourselves a new 2020.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How is AS/S a safety feature?
I guess I meant to say all the safety features as well as the environmental features. Sorry. I know some people dislike the feature ... but truly, the start/stop feature in our Forester, built in mid January, is smooth and not something we even notice after three months of ownership. I'm thinking that Subaru did a running change and improved the feature on later builds ... like it did with the tailgate.

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any particular reason you're shopping for a 2020? Is it going to replace the 2014? If so, any particular reason why beyond just wanting something new?

I'd suggest to search through many of the different threads on the site to see what people's gripes have been about the new SK (2019 - 2020) Forester, most notably the "auto stop start" system (a-s-s for short). Some like it, some ignore it and most abhor it.
Yes we would like to replace the 2014. Nothing wrong with the car but we would like to have the safety features that come with the 2020 Premium. I test drove the 2020 and the "auto stop start" did not bother me. I understand that it can be turned off.

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is one feature that I would also like to get is "Heated steering wheel". But it only comes as an option on the Limited. I do not want to pay the extra cost for the Limited. Does anyone know if there is an After Market option for a heated steering wheel?

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Yes, it can be turned off - each time you start the car. There is an aftermarket fix, but apparently will only work on Touring models and Limiteds with the automated braking for the rear (RAB?)... It plugs in and fools the system in to thinking that you've got a trailer back there and so disabled the a-s-s set up.

I've driven a 2020 Forster Sport for a week (or maybe 2?) when my 2014 was in for some maintenance, recalls and a bit more.... I was not that impressed... And the a-s-s set up annoyed me to no end. I know it's a learning curve and there are certain parameters on just "when" it stops the engine (based mostly on brake pedal pressure from what I've seen) ... but it was a jarring experience each time - the Foz shook when the engine stopped and restarted...

There are also some lingering doubts by many that the long term savings of fuel and the long term effects on starters, alternators and batteries....

To me, the biggest advantage to a 2020 would be the auto cruise control and the LED steering responsive lighting. The rest is not enough of a bonus for me.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Heated steering wheel standard on Touring, I think, optional on Limited. I think that there have been some posts on here about swapping out the Touring wheel to a premium model on the SJ (2014 > 2018 years)....

·
Registered
2014 subaru forester
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heated steering wheel standard on Touring, I think, optional on Limited. I think that there have been some posts on here about swapping out the Touring wheel to a premium model on the SJ (2014 > 2018 years)....
I think I will have to survive without Heated Steering Wheel. So far hand warmers in the mitt have worked okay in Wisconsin winters.
BTW when I test drove the 2020 in town with many start and stops, a-s-s worked smoothly. But it is nice to know that it can be turned off.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think I will have to survive without Heated Steering Wheel. So far hand warmers in the mitt have worked okay in Wisconsin winters.
BTW when I test drove the 2020 in town with many start and stops, a-s-s worked smoothly. But it is nice to know that it can be turned off.
Yeah, it's not that big a deal IMO. Just have to shut it off when you start the car each time as mentioned. It's just a button push too so no holding it in waiting, etc. Should become second nature after a while. ....sort of like a checklist you might go through in various scenarios which I've grown accustom to over the course of my life.

I don't drive my wife's car enough to remember so its usually when it kicks in the first time that I just shut it off. Yes, annoying but not enough to sour my whole experience with the vehicle.

I rarely buy used cars unless I know and trust the history (e.g. from friends / family) and we hold onto our vehicles for years so when it was time for a new Forester, I had no qualms about buying the 2020. We love the features, comfort, room, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
One other thing about auto start/stop .... Most ... if not all ... manufacturers have it in order maintain their CAFE ratings. Some manufacturers allow you to turn it off through settings ... with others like Subaru you have to turn it on/off by a button push each trip.

But again, honestly, I think on recently built Subaru models, such as our Jan 2020 build Subaru, I don't think it's all that big of a problem. Certainly something everybody can get used to.

It might be jarring the first time you experience it. But, hey, there is absolutely no reason to fear it or to avoid buying a new car ... because auto start/stop is here for the long haul.

·
Registered
650 Posts
But, hey, there is absolutely no reason to fear it or to avoid buying a new car ... because auto start/stop is here for the long haul.
That's going to really boil down to what bother some people more than others.

Personally, I hate the feature. It's jarring because the car shakes when starting and stopping. I've driven in other vehicles with the feature that didn't have this trait. ....probably made worse by the H4 motor but it doesn't get any better and it's something I don't want to live with to be honest.

Having said that, I have no problem disabling it but if it didn't have that option, I will say that I most definitely would have passed on Subaru because of it. IMO, it's a worthless feature in practice that might look fine in paper (to fulfill whatever requirements they needed it to). Fact is, it only nets a small return in the real world. ....similar to some cylinder deactivation setups like in my Dodge. Thankfully, its hardly noticeable in that car but even so, it's only maybe a 1 MPG improvement so on a round trip to Vegas (~530+ miles) I can enjoy that .88 gallon savings.

Besides, the whole thing seems a little silly in a vehicle that really doesn't get all that great of mileage anyhow. I totally accept that but I could do without features like this with minimal savings. The wear and tear and inconvenience of some them simply isn't worth the paltry return IMO / IME.

.....but that's just me. If I were super concerned for the environment, fuel savings, etc., my family would be driving much more efficient vehicles.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nobody knows for absolute certainty and with the current situation it makes it even more of a question mark.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
August 1st. When will we hear something about the 2021 Forester or OBs?
When Subaru gets around to announcing it.

As the 2021 Crosstrek has been announced, the 2021 Ascent has been announced, the 2020 Outback is still new and fresh so why would they make any changes? Expect the 2021 Forester to not be until at least the end of this month. It's safe to say that there will be NO CHANGES (with the exception of the typical shuffling of colors and equipment). It will be the same. The SK Forester is only 2 years in to the current generation. They do not do major changes until at least 4 years. This is not the 50s and 60s when cars were updated yearly. This is the 21st century and nearly all are on at least a 4 year cycle.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,066 Posts
2016 was the third year for the SJ version of the Forester in the US, and they introduced a whole new line of infotainment systems that year. Love it or hate it, the Starlink systems were a big deal. So while I agree 2021 won't bring fundamental design changes, it's not fair to say that introduction of something significant in the third year would be unprecedented.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,159 Posts
Ah, but Starlink and those infotainment systems have now been around for close to 5 years. And that was more across the product line, not just the Forester. And that really wasn't very significant for many owners. Some have hated them (as you've mentioned)... But it would not also be a really big addition. The Harmon-Kardon and Nav system had been bad-mouthed for years in the magazines and needed a redo. The current system is just an outgrowth of the systems that were available and was more of an evolution than a revolution.

But yes, you're right. We may see something new - but doubt it will be a big change.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts