Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2021 - De-oranged Sport with customizations (pictures & links)!

26K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  wtfden 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I picked up a 2021 sport at the end of January and have been buying gear and modifying since.

Finn will be my long roadtrip, camping, and light off-roading rig.

My first new car in 16 years and my first Subaru ever, I'm in love.

Exterior

Interior
r/SubaruForester - Blacked out 2021 Sport w/ customizations (pics & links)

Misc - all contained in rear storage and the rolling rear cover still fits :)
  • First aid kit
  • Mid-size jack
  • Viair compressor
  • Tire repair kit
  • Small toolkit
  • Tow strap
  • Jump starter
  • Misc items

Awning

Cheers!

See less See more
1 10
#7 ·
Thanks!!

Looks great[emoji1360]
Cheers!

Very cool! I never liked that orange striping, but I think you might like it even less than me!
Ha yeah I haaaaate it. But loved everything else about the Sport trim.

That looks great, I would of purchased a Sport but the orange lines to me look terrible. If I do not get a Dodge Ram next up- I will use your ideas :)
Happy to help rid the world of orange trim haha

Pics from the front? I'd like to see how visible/invisible the OEM engine underguard is
Here a picture of the aluminum version, it is a 1:1 of the plastic one that comes from the factory. It tucks up underneath the bumper pretty well. The steel version is black, so is completely unnoticeable.

#13 ·
Honestly I haven't really washed it since applying haha. Too many trips out in the dirt. So far holding up fine from traveling around, but will see what happens when some pressurized water hits it.

forgot to ask.. was the emblem overlay Gloss Black Background with Matte Black Stars or vice versa. Thanks.
The background is regular/gloss black, and stars are matte black. It would probably look great either way.

How do you like the seat covers? Do they look good and stay put?
I love them so far. Dog hair sticks like crazy, but I didn't want leather. They fit super snug and have the slots for the side airbags, and even a zipper to let the rear armrest/cup holder fold down. Even came with a little cover for the center console.

#9 ·
Hi all! I picked up a 2021 sport at the end of January and have been buying gear and modifying since.

Exterior

Interior

• First aid kit
  • Mid-size jack
  • Viair compressor
  • Tire repair kit
  • Small toolkit
  • Tow strap
  • Jump starter
  • Misc items

Cheers!
That's awesome.. great set up.. thanks for the info on your add-ons and mods.. was lookin for some emblem and wheel center piece overlays and how the colors would look (color decisions).

#11 ·

Exterior

Interior

• First aid kit
  • Mid-size jack
  • Viair compressor
  • Tire repair kit
  • Small toolkit
  • Tow strap
  • Jump starter
  • Misc items

Cheers!
forgot to ask.. was the emblem overlay Gloss Black Background with Matte Black Stars or vice versa. Thanks.

#14 ·
Updated the original post with photos of Finn actually clean, with a bonus doggo pic. A great weekend roadtrip and seeing the rig all clean and de-oranged at the same time has made me fall back in love with it all over again.

The drive-thru car wash didn't rip off any plasti-dip, so I count that as a win heh

#20 ·
Thanks for the detailed list!
Really clean work on the Orange-delete

Have you had any complications with fitting OEM 2022 parts on the 2021 sport?
I know they are basically idential - especially inside, but wasn't sure if there were any unexpected oddities

Do you have any photos of the WeatherTech SunShades installed? Do they cover all of the windows completely?
I'm guessing they don't include tiny coveres for the stationary glass in the front doors - true?

#29 ·
@jpfrstr
Did you take all of the exterior orange accents off before plasti dipping?
Nope, just taped things off and sprayed. Real easy to wipe/peel off any overspray.

How is the plastidip holding up on the door molding?
So far holding up great. Lots of offroad adventures and automated carwashes. No issues.

If this is what the Sport looked like from the factory I probably would have ordered one instead of a Wilderness. If it came with the CVT cooler and improved tow rating too, it wouldn’t even be a question.
Actually looking at adding the CVT cooler too. Info: ('19+) - 2019 - OEM Wilderness Edition transmission...

Did the 2021 have the orange accents inside like the 2022 does?
Around the base of the shifter and the vents, along with orange stitching. Bought some cheap plastic covers for the shifter/vents, and used some black Sharpie cloth markers to take care of the stitching.

#26 ·
If this is what the Sport looked like from the factory I probably would have ordered one instead of a Wilderness. If it came with the CVT cooler and improved tow rating too, it wouldn’t even be a question.

The Sport is IMHO the sweet spot for price/features but dang, I just…don’t like the orange highlights. Nothing against people that like it, but to me it’s kinda like they wanted to jazz up the look but couldn’t summon the courage to do anything too bold. Like they’re trying to attract younger customers without alienating the parents and grandparents that are the Forester’s bread and butter. And for me at least, that design compromise makes it way less appealing than just going all the way in either direction. Either put the extra features on a regular-looking Forester, or just commit to the “sporty” look and put a big ol decal on the doors or a fake hood scoop on the front or something. It’s like a guy going through a mid-life crisis and deciding to grow a goatee—just the absolute most conservative and reserved bit of rebellious attitude that anyone could possibly hope to muster.

Anyway…rant over. Apologies to anyone who likes the orange—I got nothing against you and I’m glad Subaru makes a car you enjoy! Just not for me, and that’s why they make more than one trim!

#27 ·
I have a 2022 Sport I picked out of the upcoming cars, and here I am a day later seeing how to get rid of the orange. I love the car otherwise. Did the 2021 have the orange accents inside like the 2022 does? I"m comfortable spraying the outside accents, but did you spray the shifter, etc. inside the car?

#36 · (Edited)
Some updates:
  • Added a ceiling net
  • Swapped out the old awning for a MoonShade
  • Grabbed one of these to fill the gap on the driver side and turn it into a pocket: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0B9NHRNWT
  • Picked up a ScanGauge to keep an eye on CVT temps while out exploring (also means I can free up the MFD for other info)
  • Plasti Dip is still holding up great, only had to touch up a small bit on the rear bumper (Sharpie fixes everything right?)

Olympic Peninsula trip with the pup:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.