Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the installation of both my Blackvue Dash Camera (front and rear channel) along with my Uniden R7 Radar Detector on a Blendmount. If anyone is interested in how to do this with a professional look and hardwired into into your fuse panel, please feel free to ping me and I will be happy to help you out. I have been installing electronics in cars since 1978.

This is the SD card you want to buy:

Forester Dashcam 21.jpg Forester Dashcam 21a.jpg Forester Dashcam 21b.jpg Forester Dashcam 21c.jpg Forester Dashcam 21d.jpg Forester Dashcam 21e.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
913 Posts
Can you provide a side view of the mounting of the rear camera?

I'd like to do a stealth install, maybe this summer, front and rear. I think the adhesive pad on the windshield draws a lot of attention. Would installing a camera on the windshield side of the rearview mirror cause the mirror to move out of position over time, as you drive over speed bumps and rough terrain?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
32 Posts
I'm very interested in a step by step install of the camera! I've been looking into potential front and rear cameras and the blackvue seems like the choice to go

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm very interested in a step by step install of the camera! I've been looking into potential front and rear cameras and the blackvue seems like the choice to go
IMPO...nothing beats a Blackvue. If you are on a budget, then get a VIOFO A129 Pro Duo. Stay away from all the crap on Amazon! Here are two places you want to buy from...no where else.

www.thedashcamstore.com

www.blackboxmycar.com

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your installation looks super clean!! If you do a write up please share.
I generally don't like to write a book on the forum, but I will consider a bullet point step by step. As I have stated, if anyone is interested in installing a RD or a Dash Cam, I am happy to provide my cell, via PM, and walk you through it and ensure you have all the correct parts you'll need. I have already spoken to several members over the past week. Don't be shy :)

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about some details on how you got the wires into the rear hatch?
There are two ways to skin this cat:

1. Being in the security business, I have long fiberglass fish rods. I removed the rubber gasket from the rear of the top hatch section and pulled down slightly on the headliner and popped the retaining clips to have access to the roof area of the SUV (it does not matter if you have a sunroof or not).
2. I also pulled back the rubber drivers side door gasket at the top of the door and removed the pull handle above the drivers side door to gain better access to the roof area above the headliner (easy and only two clips that hold the handle to the roof).
3. I pushed the fish rod from the rear of the SUV towards the front drivers side corner where I exposed the headliner above the drivers side door.
4. Grabbed the fish rod above the drivers door and then taped the rear camera cable to the fish rod and gently pulled the rod back out from the rear until I got hold of the cable.
5. Pulled down the plastic piece (just pops off with clips) on the top inside of the hatch against the rear window.
6. Released the fat black flexible hose (the one to your left when you are looking from the outside in to your hatch area) from the hatch and upper rain channel to allow the cable to be threaded through the rubber hose.
7. Reattached the two ends of the rubber hose after the wire was pulled through and cut a small notch in the plastic piece I removed to route the wire to the camera.

The other option, to replace steps 3 and 4, is to pull back on the drivers side and passengers side upper door gaskets and run the cable BEHIND the airbags...across the B-Pillar over to the passengers door and then along the headliner to the rear of the hatch where it can then be routed as in step 5+.

I hope this helps and I am happy to help anyone that wants to PM me and chat via phone that would like additional assistance or insight. It is very easy and the fish rod makes it painless and simpler, but either way works very well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
366 Posts
Great install. I just installed front/rear cameras yesterday. I found this install video on a 202 Forester very helpful:

I was able to use a wire coat hanger to run the cables. In the rear, you can remove the rear cargo dome light from the headliner and pass the cable there and then on to the driver side behind the paneling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts