Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get front seat covers? I’m looking to keep the leather safe and looking good

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester
7 Posts
Whatever covers you get, make sure you are careful how you attach the covers for the seat bottom, particular that straps/ties don't potentially drag on the wiring to the seat airbag sensors. If there is any contact, or pull, it can prevent the sensor from reading whether anyone is in the passenger seat so the passenger side airbags won't deploy in an accident. (It's easy to tell if this is the case, the Passenger Airbag Off warning light mounted above windscreen will stay on even with someone sitting in the seat).

Had this issue when we bought our 2019 model - was very frustrating until I discovered that the missus had entangled the sensor wire when she fastened the seat bottom cover. Simply refastened to a different part of the seat undercarriage, and problem solved. Apparently a common problem with seat sensors on post 2016 Subarus.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
321 Posts
Good to know. I have been thinking of seat covers, but I will probably go with something that just covers the actual contact surface, that can be easily pulled off and stored. Mostly because when I drive it to work, I can throw them on, and remove them once at home. This way any dirt won't transfer to my regular clothes, etc.

I use my neon as my work car, but that will end when the snow flies and the road salt drops. I just use a garbage bag in there if needed, but I figured I will do something better for the Subaru. Being it's only 4.4 miles, it doesn't need to be to fancy. :LOL:

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
525 Posts
I use a set of durable cotton seat covers from Covercraft. I launder them in the washing machine.

·
FOTM Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,384 Posts
No matter what covers you find - it would be best to avoid those that go all around the seat (slip on over the top, for example) - like this type below.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover Mode of transport Vehicle

As you're probably aware, you've got side impact airbags that are integral to the outside "shoulder" of the seats. The seats and the seams of sewing the panels together have been engineered to rip open to allow the airbag to pop. Even if you find a cover that states (claims, advertises, whatever) to work with side-impact airbags, that cover can still interfere with the deployment of the airbags.

Think of it this way - with having to wear masks and all during COVID, think of how easy it is to breathe with no mask. Then think of how it can be more difficult to breathe (or talk, too) with the mask on. It's a similar concept - you're adding a layer of material over the airbag deployment zone.

Having said that - much of what is best for you will depend on what you want the seat covers to look like and what you what you want to do with them.

If you're just looking for something to protect, or even if you're looking for something fancier, I'd suggest the style they call "VEST" seat covers. They're usually just a single panel of the material with the assorted straps and such that hold them in place.

Vehicle Car Seat belt Plant Motor vehicle

This type of cover will not block the airbags. Some covers are a bit wider and will cover the side bolsters (where most seats show wear) and you can find them online through Amazon or eBay or dozens of other shopping sites. You can also buy some from your local auto parts source - even the auto department in big-box retailers, too.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts