Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just bought my wife a new '21 Forester Limited. This is our first Subaru (Mazda's and Toyota's before now). We have had it for maybe a month, but already are having TPMS issues. What it looks like is that the system is intermittently loosing signal to the sensors. It will be fine for a while, then will give us a TPMS alarm but have no pressures indicated on any of the tires. Then, after a few days it seems to read the sensors again, sees good pressures and clears the alarm. But it will happen again a few days later. Rinse and repeat.

These are still the OEM tires and wheels. I've done nothing with them. I did have the dealer install the aluminum engine under guard accessory which MAY have necessitated pulling off the front tires to install, but that is it.

Anything I can troubleshoot myself before running back to the dealer? Dealer I purchased from is out of town and my local dealer has a not-great reputation for service. I'm not opposed to going there, but I am guessing that when I roll in with a brand-new Forester that I clearly did not buy from them, they will look for every nickel-and-dime fee they can tack on to the bill.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has been covered previously (I did search for it, but not a deep search).

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring cvt
60 Posts
I would take it to the local dealer. It should be a no charge evaluation under warranty. In general, Subaru TPMS doesn't read out until you have driven a certain mileage. ri

·
Registered
AU MY06 XS Luxury Auto
593 Posts
I am guessing that when I roll in with a brand-new Forester that I clearly did not buy from them, they will look for every nickel-and-dime fee they can tack on to the bill.
Won‘t they welcome you as a potential new, ongoing service client? As it’s under warranty, chances are you’d be happy to return if they looked after you, while the dealer who sold you the car only got a one-off sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Won‘t they welcome you as a potential new, ongoing service client? As it’s under warranty, chances are you’d be happy to return if they looked after you, while the dealer who sold you the car only got a one-off sale.
I may just be paranoid/pessimistic about this dealer, I haven't actually been there yet. They are a very high volume Subaru Dealer, but the reputation is that they don't pay their service techs enough and find ways to get their money out of you. I fully intend to use them as my main dealer service going forward, but I am also reluctant to go straight there if there's something I can troubleshoot myself first.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Automatic
14 Posts
Take it to one of the dealers. Then Subaru TPMS system is touchy. Not really anything you can do. They will probably have to reprogram the sensors and receiver. Should all be under warranty

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,280 Posts
1stSubieForester
You obviously have a problem, as the TPMS should not be issuing a warning unless you have low pressure.
If you also have no tire pressures indicated, it is doubtful that it's the sensors.
The likelihood of all 4 sensors failing is extremely unlikely.
That means it's likely to be a problem with the TPMS module that will probably be replaced, as dealers don't diagnose any internal issues with electronics.
Trying to fix that yourself is a great way to void your warranty.

This is clearly a warranty issue, and you can go anywhere to any dealer for that.
Be prepared to get the NTF (No Trouble Found) response, because if the system is working when you bring it in, what should they fix?

You might want to take a short video, showing the TPMS light and the lack of pressure readings on the display when it happens.
Having a date/timestamp on it might help too. If you have more than one of these, it will add some ammunition to your argument that it wasn't a one-time glitch.
If the local dealer gives you any grief, call SoA and request their assistance, which will also ensure your issue is recorded if you have concerns with the local dealer.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
+1 for taking it to the dealer. Something is obviously wrong.

As for the system being "touchy", I don't see it. It is either working right or it isn't and the fact that all 4 are having an issue is an indication of something beyond a faulty sensor, bad sensor battery, etc. as mentioned. Hopefully it's just something that can be fixed with a reset.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2021 Limited. Went to the dealer twice and they had to reprogram the sensors. At first the tire pressure would not show up when I toggled to that window on my dash - all zero's. The TPMS light would come on, stay on and then mysteriously go off. The dealer insisted that we added air to the tires and we just did not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, just bought my wife a new '21 Forester Limited. This is our first Subaru (Mazda's and Toyota's before now). We have had it for maybe a month, but already are having TPMS issues. What it looks like is that the system is intermittently loosing signal to the sensors. It will be fine for a while, then will give us a TPMS alarm but have no pressures indicated on any of the tires. Then, after a few days it seems to read the sensors again, sees good pressures and clears the alarm. But it will happen again a few days later. Rinse and repeat.

These are still the OEM tires and wheels. I've done nothing with them. I did have the dealer install the aluminum engine under guard accessory which MAY have necessitated pulling off the front tires to install, but that is it.

Anything I can troubleshoot myself before running back to the dealer? Dealer I purchased from is out of town and my local dealer has a not-great reputation for service. I'm not opposed to going there, but I am guessing that when I roll in with a brand-new Forester that I clearly did not buy from them, they will look for every nickel-and-dime fee they can tack on to the bill.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if this has been covered previously (I did search for it, but not a deep search).
Exact same problem with my wife’s 2021 outback (purchased 27 Dec 20). Been in the shop three times. 1st time, no fault found as it had reset. 2nd time, after video proof, they ordered the replaced the module on the 3rd visit. Less than a week later, same problem. TPMS failure. Expect it to reset in the next few days followed by failure again. Never anything done to the car except a couple dealer oil changes. My wife drives a lot (2-3K miles per month). She’s in sales. Now what Subaru?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2021 Outback XT leased December 24, 2020, at 2500mi I started experiencing the same issue. Have been to the dealer service center 4 times for this issue with is still happening. They never replaced the main module but have replace tire sensors and reprogrammed multiple times. Between back and forth to the dealer and dealer test miles I have racked up 500 unnecessary miles on a leased vehicle and lost 4 half days of work. Needless to say I am exasperated by this issue. At first I was annoyed with the dealership service department, but am now quite sure this is a Subaru issue that they are either ignoring because it is too costly too fix at the moment or they are unaware how to fix it. Additionally, after reaching out to Subaru, they advised me to try another dealer service center, which leads me to believe they are ignore the issue as I find it hard to believe they are unaware of it. After having talked to some car dealer friends, I was advised that all the back and forth to dealership service center for "repairs" can show up on a carfax and potentially be used against the value of the car in the future.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,389 Posts
One other point - a dealer's service department is generally a completely different profit/cost center for a dealership from sales and usually the service department doesn't care where the car came from. Why? They get paid by Subaru no matter where you bought the car. Sure, they may want to offer you services and such that are 'customer pay' but that doesn't mean that you have to take them up on those offers unless you want to.

Take the Forester to the local dealer and have them diagnose. As mentioned, the video "evidence" of the issue will go towards that there IS a problem. It also gets the issue listed in the record of your car as having been an issue (even if no fault is found) that carries weight if/when you bring it in again for the same issue.

As an example - I had noticed a knocking type noise at certain RPM for a while. It was always found to be "normal drivetrain noise" because the techs couldn't find it - even if it was heard by the techs and by the service manager. Having it on record allowed a valve adjustment to be done (under warranty) when I had another warranty repair done (cam carrier seals) and the engine had to be removed for that repair, the valve job was done at the same time because of the history.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2021 Outback XT leased December 24, 2020, at 2500mi I started experiencing the same issue. Have been to the dealer service center 4 times for this issue with is still happening. They never replaced the main module but have replace tire sensors and reprogrammed multiple times. Between back and forth to the dealer and dealer test miles I have racked up 500 unnecessary miles on a leased vehicle and lost 4 half days of work. Needless to say I am exasperated by this issue. At first I was annoyed with the dealership service department, but am now quite sure this is a Subaru issue that they are either ignoring because it is too costly too fix at the moment or they are unaware how to fix it. Additionally, after reaching out to Subaru, they advised me to try another dealer service center, which leads me to believe they are ignore the issue as I find it hard to believe they are unaware of it. After having talked to some car dealer friends, I was advised that all the back and forth to dealership service center for "repairs" can show up on a carfax and potentially be used against the value of the car in the future.
It is obviously a recall item if so many of us are having the same issue. On the Subaru outback site (I believe) someone mentioned about a fault in the spare tire sensor that usually goes unchecked by the dealership. Is it possible that is the issue???

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
395 Posts
It is obviously a recall item if so many of us are having the same issue. On the Subaru outback site (I believe) someone mentioned about a fault in the spare tire sensor that usually goes unchecked by the dealership. Is it possible that is the issue???
Unique situation on the Outback, as some editions have full sized spares and an RKE module that can register 5 sensors and then uses PAL to determine which 4 are in use. Space saver high pressure spares don't have sensors.

Reactions: FozzieBalou

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
395 Posts
Unfortunately, the move to a full dash display and PAL (Phase Angle detection for Location) complicates things. Throw in some marginal sensors, and you get into trouble. The system must see angle change (rotation) and a change in pressure and temp over time, otherwise it calls foul ball and demands attention.

Initially, it often just shows up as a blank display for a while as a sensor fails to properly transmit. If you were to scan for C codes, you'd likely see C2121-2124 indicating which sensor is marginal. Eventually there's sufficient loss of communications, and the system throws a big code: C2921. From there it takes fixing the root cause issue (usually been traced to a bad sensor) and clearing the code and maybe full reinitialization after wiping and re-uploading (re-registering) the 4 sensors.

Time to visit the dealer.

Reactions: FozzieBalou
1 - 16 of 16 Posts