Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,630 Posts
What state are you in that allows 15% ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No state allows 15% BUT when you have a clean driving record and you are driving within speed limits, Police does not bother with tint being out of spec. I pass Police on my way to work at least twice every day, and so far did not have any issues. All my cars are 15% with no issues - I did it for privacy, look, and heat rejection. I am in PA

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
I think I'm at 30% on my 2014 Foz... I'm a few hours west of you @ForesterBill (near Palm Springs) and don't have any issues. Kind of like @Snowflake2020 mentions, if you're not giving the cops a reason to pull you over, you should be fine. Then again, we know that there are some cops our there that are just .... well ...

One Q for @Snowflake2020 - did you have them also go over the "factory" tinted privacy glass? I did but had a lighter tint on those already tinted windows - to give a more - same color/same shade look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - the rear got 50% to match it to 15% front. What most people dont know is that the rear factory “tint” passes all UV light, just like a regular window. I wanted the protection from UV that the after market tint offers - 99.9%

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
191 Posts
Same deal here in Washington state. Enforcement simply has bigger fish to fry. I swear my neighbors Camaro has 5%

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
2,256 Posts
Yes - the rear got 50% to match it to 15% front. What most people dont know is that the rear factory “tint” passes all UV light, just like a regular window. I wanted the protection from UV that the after market tint offers - 99.9%
I also had them do that on the glass roof panel - same thing - wanted a bit more of the UV reflection and less heat gain but still wanted to be able to see the sky at night...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same deal here in Washington state. Enforcement simply has bigger fish to fry. I swear my neighbors Camaro has 5%
It is very important to notice that different car’s interiors will give you different perception of what is considered to be dark. My friend Acura’s 30% looks much darker on the outside than Subbie’s 15%. Acura is very dark inside with little window area while forester is so bright and specious that the 15s look like 40%....Same my In-law 2019 Tacoma - 20 percent front looks more of a 5% on the outside.
All I am saying that tint grade is very vehicle dependent. Also the outside color plays a role - more contratsy colors will amplify tint perceptive darkness.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also had them do that on the glass roof panel - same thing - wanted a bit more of the UV reflection and less heat gain but still wanted to be able to see the sky at night...
I was considering it BUT I left it untouched for now. In case I need the extra light inside to lighten up the interior while going to different states that have strict tint laws...like NJ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had my vehicles tinted for over a decade and have never had an issue...even when being pulled over for speeding etc.
Same here! I think, just like in every situation, there is fine print and bias to it. If car looks like it belongs to the drug dealer from ghetto, cutting through red light at 65MPH, every reason is good for be pulled over and ticketed.
if you are respectful and polite towards the Police, your treatment will be totally different than when you play a cocky moron.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
Plus it looks amazing on white. Your ride looks much improved with that mod alone. I can even tolerate the orange on it now. No offense, just not a fan of all the orange on the sport

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,604 Posts
...and since you’re into tint, I think your lights would look great with the lightest tint ... I don’t even notice a difference in output.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plus it looks amazing on white. Your ride looks much improved with that mod alone. I can even tolerate the orange on it now. No offense, just not a fan of all the orange on the sport
Absolutely no offense taken - taste is subjective. I actually love the orange and it was a decision maker for me BUT only on white! I did not like the orange with silver and black option. Yes, white looks divine contrasted by dark windows and black wheels. Especially when just waxed:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice, I went 5% in the back and up top, and 20% up front. Windshield goes untouched. Makes a huge difference.
Correct, I tinted probably 7 cars before and I have to say Tinting windows in Forester makes the biggest difference in heat rejection as well as in privacy. Honestly, it was difficult for me to drive that car with no tint. Its bright and specious interior magnified that feeling making me anxious :) I had it for 4 days before the tint shop could take me in.... I might do the sunroof at some point as well...

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Heh, yea, when I replace my Forester (every so many years) the tint appointment gets made before I leave the dealership. The sunroof tint is amazing. I get to enjoy it in the summer. To avoid the headache and/or anxiety of possibly cracking the sunroof, I leave my shade slightly open, the the overall temperature in the car is about the same as up there. I've heard of people having their sunroofs crack due to extreme heat, but in 10+ years, and half a dozen Foresters, I haven't had that issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heh, yea, when I replace my Forester (every so many years) the tint appointment gets made before I leave the dealership. The sunroof tint is amazing. I get to enjoy it in the summer. To avoid the headache and/or anxiety of possibly cracking the sunroof, I leave my shade slightly open, the the overall temperature in the car is about the same as up there. I've heard of people having their sunroofs crack due to extreme heat, but in 10+ years, and half a dozen Foresters, I haven't had that issue.
Interesting.... I have actually never heard that the cracking could be an issue. Well, thanks for the warning. I will also keep it slightly opened. Plus I always use sun shade even during the short stops. I also have the car garaged so it usually sees UV for only 8 hours a day... I am detailing nut - all of my cars are hand waxed with top of the line Ardex chemicals biweekly even during cold months....I recently tried the Nano coating product and results were very optimistic - perhaps I will use it on the sunroof as a UV protector.....obviously heat is still physical issue :(

1 - 20 of 47 Posts