Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got my 2020 Sport a couple weeks ago. Being in high desert and it’s summer I noticed very quickly how much window realestate there is and how much heat comes in real fast. So 1st thing I had to do was tint.

I went with 25% nano ceramic tint to side, rear windows and sunroof. Apparently I was told I cannot even use a clear UV tint on windshield as it will ruin the EyeSight technology.

is this true? Although it is much cooler in the car already and less sun blinding with the sides done but being able to do front would help a little more.

C608DCF8-5163-4228-AFF6-6A49A73B4E25.jpeg
2EF93434-039A-4BEC-A9E2-B849B756EEEC.jpeg
C608DCF8-5163-4228-AFF6-6A49A73B4E25.jpeg 2EF93434-039A-4BEC-A9E2-B849B756EEEC.jpeg

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,000 Posts
Have you checked with local laws regarding tinting windshields? There maybe some truth to causing issues for eyesight and that's a question you should ask Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked with local laws regarding tinting windshields? There maybe some truth to causing issues for eyesight and that's a question you should ask Subaru.
Yes. 35 was legal I figured I’d go a tad darker to 25 and take a Gamble

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
651 Posts
2 things -
  • while many states have laws regarding window tinting, each state is different and I've found that different municipalities can have differing laws and/or enforcement. I live in California and there are laws about tinting the front door windows... But I live in the deserts, so the front window tinting is usually not enforced - unless you've been a jerk or the officer is being a jerk. I think - however, that there is a law about how low a "brow" tint can be done on the windshield. But yes, there are clear tints with that UVA/UVB reflective ability that "CAN" be used.
  • when it comes to that windshield tinting - even with clear - it can and will impact your visibility and the accuracy of the Eyesight system. While the material is clear (i.e. no color tinting) there can still be some distortion and less-than-perfectly-crystal-clear outward vision. So this will impact the Eyesight system. I'd suggest just investing in a good quality pop-up sunshade for the windshield when parked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my 2020 Sport a couple weeks ago. Being in high desert and it’s summer I noticed very quickly how much window realestate there is and how much heat comes in real fast. So 1st thing I had to do was tint.

I went with 25% nano ceramic tint to side, rear windows and sunroof. Apparently I was told I cannot even use a clear UV tint on windshield as it will ruin the EyeSight technology.

is this true? Although it is much cooler in the car already and less sun blinding with the sides done but being able to do front would help a little more.

View attachment 536651 View attachment 536652 View attachment 536651 View attachment 536652
Actually on my forester 2019 I added ceramic 5% in the back and 20% in the front and 50% in the windshield and it dosent affect the eyesight at all.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Prem
333 Posts
It should be made clear that there is a difference between applying tint to the whole windscreen or just at the top. .....typically a specific measured distance is allowed, a general guideline or above the AS-1 mark.

In the OPs case, I couldn't find any restriction to how dark the tint could be (on the windscreen) but it needs to be non-reflective and above the AS-1 line. You can't tint the entire windscreen in NV. .....then it's 35% on front sides and as dark as you want on the rest as long as you have two side mirrors.

35% is plenty effective IMO / IME. The factory glass already provides ample UV blocking as well from responses I've seen from SOA over the years. ...especially the windscreen which is usually near 100%.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts