Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 Subaru Forester Touring for a year now and lately, when I turn off the engine, I hear this weird sound. I don't know whether to call it whistling, buzzing or alarm type of sound. The sound last for at most 30 seconds. It also happens at cold start and when at stop. But it is the loudest after a drive, parked and engine is turned off. Any idea what could be the cause of this? Link to the video:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,517 Posts
@camgryan welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Take a look at this thread to see if your noise is the same:
Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Account Details". The optional information you enter there will display when members click "About" in your forum profile. You can also create a custom "Signature" that will display every time you make a forum post. The optional additional information you provide could mean getting forum member replies, or not.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 2.5x_sleeper. The noise is not the same. The sound described on those forums are minor buzzing sound. Mine is a loud screech or alarm-like sound that as I previously described starts immediately at cold start, when stopping (at red lights, stop sign), and after a drive (parked and engine turned off). It lasts 30 seconds or less.

·
Administrator
40,517 Posts
@camgryan okay, that was a common noise issue. Take a look at this thread & the link I posted within that thread:
Bobby...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! That post did not have a video, but a post from kkw8357 did have the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just returned from the dealer and they said I had a loose AC tube. They tightened it and they said they went ahead and took care of my Freon as well. So far, so good that annoying sound is gone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The sound is back! It is now April 2021 and the annoying tonal sound after car is shut off is back! It's only been 5 months and this is causing me irritation again. I called the dealership for another service appointment to pinpoint the cause. When I first had this issue five months ago (Nov 2020), the dealership suspected it's an audio feedback as I have a dash cam connected using the center glove box 12V auto power outlet and intermittent use of apple lightning cable for my iPhone to use Apple CarPlay. Well, it's not those, the dealership eliminated the issue with fixing a loose air conditioning cable and adding freon? It did fix it, but the problem is back. Since Nov 2020, I have not used my dash cam, but I have intermittently connected my iPhone. But, when I do connect my iPhone, I unplug the lightning cable from the aux right away when I'm done with using it.

Does anybody have the same issue? If so, any advice?

Video link to sound problem:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
1,063 Posts
Does it continue if you open the door after turning the car off? Just trying to eliminate possibilities since a number of things remain powered until opening the door.

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
864 Posts
2020 model, glad for you that you'll let the dealer fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does it continue if you open the door after turning the car off? Just trying to eliminate possibilities since a number of things remain powered until opening the door.
Yes it does. Here's my initial post on this problem: ('19+) - 2020 - Weird and loud sound when engine is...
The video is cut off, but I did open my door while taking the video to investigate the noise, but I accidentally stopped the recording.

·
Registered
2020 Forester / 2016 Forester
1 Posts
Have you had any update on this issue? My 2020 started doing the same thing. Dealer sent a video I did to Subaru to try and get answer. Called today and said this is going to special engineering group within Subaru. Hopefully this is getting escalated to a solution. Note that the sound is also loud outside the car when it makes sound. Car running, just turned off and when making turns at times.

·
Administrator
40,517 Posts
@ShrikePilot welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Note that @camgryan last signed onto the forum a month ago. You could send the member a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. The member is optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2021 Forester Touring
1 Posts
@camgryan
Have you found a cause/solution for this problem? Our 2021 Forester is doing the same thing! It is at the dealership right now for diagnostics. Apparently not a known issue???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts