Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know this may be a dumb question, but do I need to do anything special in terms of getting my 2020 Forester (with the magnetite gray metallic paint) washed? Can I just take it to a regular automatic car wash? Is touchless better? I've never had a shark fin antenna before...does it need to come off like old antennas? I don't even know if it comes off at all?

About to hit first 500 miles, and car needs a wash. Up until now I've had 2008 car whose value couldn't have been reduced if I tried, so I've not had to worry about these things until now. Recommendations?

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
785 Posts
So, I know this may be a dumb question
The only dumb questions are those never asked.

Can I just take it to a regular automatic car wash? Is touchless better?
Yes, and definitely. The brushes pick up and retain soil and other contaminants and essentially turn them into rotating sandpaper.

Personally, I have a Gerni pressure sprayer and snow-gun to apply a truck wash detergent and that has been all I use to wash cars for the past 25 years. I rinse off with rain water which doesn't leave spots so let it air dry, but lightly patting the water beads off with a microfibre cloth designed for the purpose works just as well and shouldn't leave any swirl marks. I have never bothered with waxes and polishes, etc and the paint seems to hold up just fine. The important thing is to wash frequently, at least every couple of weeks to remove road and other crap asap, more often if roads are salted in winter, or the car is regularly parked in/near an industrial area.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
829 Posts
Personally, I would not use a pressure washer. Too risky. All you need is a good wash mit and some quality auto soap. Clay bars are also a good idea to remove bonded contaminants. Followed by a good paste wax.

yes, stay away from car washes. Too much dirt clinging to everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For some easy and affordable shine and some protection.....give Turtle Wax ICE spray wax/sealant a try! It does a great job, maintains a great finish, and its super easy to spray on and apply . I have a 2019 Sport in dark grey metallic and i really love the results. It takes about 10 minutes to do the whole vehicle, doesn't leave any discoloration on plastics and you can find it for $5-$7 a bottle most places.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester XT Touring
247 Posts
You can use a pressure washer as long as you have the right machine. GPM, PSI and spray tip are critical. Head over to www.obsessedgarage.com ( I’m not affiliated) for pressure washer recommendations. I’ve hand washed (with pressure washer and foam gun) my 2018 since I drove it off of the lot. I will NEVER take it through a car wash with brushes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts