Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this makes sense, I have a 2020 Subaru Forester I maintain it faithfully. I picked up an my local but not so local dealership ( 90 miles away) on October 1st 2020 it had 6 miles on it. I maintain it at a local repairshop because driving 180 miles is a bit hard for an oil change. Today I get my oil changed and the mechanic notices that the left front driver tire is completely worn out on the inside. He thinks it has to do with (excuse me I am not mechanical) the front-end or something. I have never dealt with anything like this. I am assuming I should call the dealership and speak to the warranty or repair shop? I can't imagine this happening in a year of owning the car. Any help on what I should do? What it could be?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,511 Posts
It's an alignment issue and it's something the dealer should have checked before letting you take the vehicle. So they owe you new tires as well.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an alignment issue and it's something the dealer should have checked before letting you take the vehicle. So they owe you new tires as well.
I do not recall them checking at all I was there when it came of the truck. So it should not have happen this fast right? Thank you for replying

·
Registered
2021 Forester Base Automatic
344 Posts
Likely just in need of an alignment. A new car can be out of alignment. If they took it off the truck and gave it to you right away they likely didn't check thru anything. You can also mess up the alignment by hitting a pothole or curb hard enough. You can ask the dealer if it can be fixed under warranty but after 12,000 miles they may/may not be helpful. Either way you would have to drive down there and leave the car for a few hours at minimum.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured I would have to do that. I am pretty easy on her. Everyone says I drive like a grandma, oh wait I am a grandma! But I do take extra car of her. I never in a million year would think I would need a alignment after just a year non the less brand new tires all the way around. Only one tire has the tread problem the others are fine.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
442 Posts
Since it is only one tire, have the tires been rotated? (Moving the front to the rear, and the rear to the front, either on the same side, or the fronts to the rear, and the rear to the front on the opposite side/whatever variation the owner's manual calls for)

This should have been done at 6000 miles, and again at 12,000 miles.

If it has been done, and the alignment was out from day one, then there should be two tires with the same wear pattern, and it may have been noticed at 6000 miles.

It's probably not likely that not rotating them would cause an issue on only one tire by itself, but it will concentrate any suspension/alignment issue to that tire, or other issues to other specific tires, accelerating the wear. It's partly why tires should be rotated, so small imperfections in an alignment or driving conditions don't get focused on one tire.

Like as an exaggerated example, if there are nothing but right turns in your drive, it would wear the tires more as the vehicle suspension would load more to the left tires than the right.

In a perfect world, rotation wouldn't be needed, but it rarely works out that way.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,032 Posts
I never in a million year would think I would need a alignment after just a year non the less brand new tires all the way around. Only one tire has the tread problem the others are fine.
Why would you need four new tires if only one has the worn inside read problem? At just 12k miles your other three tires should be withing 2-3/32" of tread depth of an identical new tire.

·
Registered
2020 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes faithfully, everytime I get my oil changed. I pay attention to what they do also. So it has been done. I just thought it was odd it was only one tire and I asked if it was seen before. It's a new mechanic so he had no clue. Thank-you for the response I appreciate it.
Why would you need four new tires if only one has the worn inside read problem? At just 12k miles your other three tires should be withing 2-3/32" of tread depth of an identical new tire.
I don't know I am thinking in my mind not knowing anything isn't it dumb to just change one tire? I don't know I figured they all had to get changed. But that's just my thinking.
According to my Dealer, Subaru will give you one free alignment during the 36K miles if you have the original tires.
Really, wow thanks for that and yes they are the original tires! I didn't call yesterday and it was late when I got home and being Thanksgiving. I am first thing the next business day. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Since it is only one tire, have the tires been rotated? (Moving the front to the rear, and the rear to the front, either on the same side, or the fronts to the rear, and the rear to the front on the opposite side/whatever variation the owner's manual calls for)

This should have been done at 6000 miles, and again at 12,000 miles.

If it has been done, and the alignment was out from day one, then there should be two tires with the same wear pattern, and it may have been noticed at 6000 miles.

It's probably not likely that not rotating them would cause an issue on only one tire by itself, but it will concentrate any suspension/alignment issue to that tire, or other issues to other specific tires, accelerating the wear. It's partly why tires should be rotated, so small imperfections in an alignment or driving conditions don't get focused on one tire.

Like as an exaggerated example, if there are nothing but right turns in your drive, it would wear the tires more as the vehicle suspension would load more to the left tires than the right.

In a perfect world, rotation wouldn't be needed, but it rarely works out that way.
Thank you for the education. I am new to this forum and looking for a new vehicle and I remember my Subaru Coupe 15 years fondly.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
3,032 Posts
I don't know I am thinking in my mind not knowing anything isn't it dumb to just change one tire? I don't know I figured they all had to get changed. But that's just my thinking.
Assuming that your other three tires have worn evenly and are within 3/32" in tread depth as compared to a new identical tire, you should only have to purchase one tire.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
442 Posts
If it is just the very inside edge, and the threads are not showing/the rubber not thin, structurally the tire should be okay. The reason why it has worn should be addressed, and you could probably still use the tire. But that would be more of a last resort couldn't afford a new one scenario. If it has 95% of the tread area there, it would still perform better than 100% of the tread area being worn to the wear bars.

But I can also see where someone might not be comfortable with it. Afterall, the car is ~$26000 to $40000 depending on trim level.

If it has worn bad enough that the threads/cords are showing, or nearly there, and it wasn't there at 6000 miles, but at 12,000 miles, something happened that is scrubbing rubber off fairly quickly. Either a suspension component is defective or damaged, or something got against the tire and was there long enough to take the rubber off.

But you'll probably never know if it was noticed at 6000 miles, if the mechanic doing the service then isn't available, or if they would even be 100% honest about it.

Not knowing if you only rely on the repair shop or not, sometimes it's best to be a little more proactive in checking the car yourself, at least every two weeks, just a good visual inspection of the tires, lights, etc. Turn the front wheels all the way in each direction, so you can get a good look at them.

It doesn't take much time, and it also keeps you "connected" to your car. You might notice something that could save your/someone's life. Or you may not ever see anything at all besides normal wear, etc, but at least you'll personally have made the effort.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
442 Posts
That is a drag that the closest dealer is an hour and half away from you. Good luck.
It is a fairly common scenario for a lot of us that don't live closer to a bigger city/urban area.

I have at least 5 Subaru dealers around me, but they are all an hour or more away. Even though there is a relatively high percentage of Subaru cars in my area.

That is a decent article, but I'm not sure how being low on tire pressure would only wear the inside edge. Usually that will cause both inside and out side to wear.

Hopefully she can get it fixed under warranty, and at minimum, a healthy discount on a new tire.

Again, not saying she doesn't take the time to check all four corners of the car once in a while, but I see it all too often where people just get in and drive, and rely solely on their garage to find any issues.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts