Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
[UPDATE BELOW] I'm having the same issue with a 2020 Forester Sport. Granted I'm still on my first tank of gas (150 miles), I'm about 80% city/ 20% highway and I haven't climbed past 17.5 mpg. I even started driving like a grandma. What really worries me is I'm getting a lift kit put on next week and I feel like any complaints I make after that Subaru will attribute to the loss in mpg to the lift & tires. My main thing is, I got this instead of a Wrangler because I wanted to get better than 15 city 19 highway, I can deal with it being a little lower than the 26 mpg city they claim, but 16.9 where I'm at now, I would have gotten the Wrangler.

After setting the second tripometer my MPG is getting a lot closer to the estimated city milage. My guess is the car did a lot of idling while at the dealership and that affected the MPG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2020 Forester is averaging 27.28 mpg combined city and highway, I keep track of every gallon purchased via the Road Trip app. My best mileage has been 32.4 from Santa Fe, NM to the Texas panhandle (which is downhill all the way). At last fill up the odometer showed 4,089 miles. Most of the fuel stations where I live have 86 octane on their regular gas. Subaru recommends 87, and I'm not sure how much difference that would make. I have also adjusted my driving to less speedy accelerations, and I drive what the posted limit is. The immediate area where I live has numerous hills, and if I set the speed/cruise to the posted limit in the hills, the engine revs from 2100 to 4200 to climb those hills. Disengaging s/c results in hill climbing at 3100 rpms and maintaining posted limits.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring Jasper Green
54 Posts
The cruise definitely seems to waste gas in hilly sections with it's odd revving the engine up then engine breaking down behavior. Haven't tried much yet but I'm sure I can do better without it.

I'm getting about 26 mostly highway after 2500 miles but I tend to speed about 10 over and I'm sure it's not designed to cruise at best efficiency at close to or at 80 lol. Hoping it improves after an oil change or two.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
113 Posts
.... I'm sure it's not designed to cruise at best efficiency at close to or at 80 lol.
I think the wind resistance at higher speeds will have quite an effect on gas mileage. We took a road trip from Chicago through the Dakotas and Wyoming. Lots of flat interstate until we hit Wyoming. I was averaging over 33 at 65 but dropped to 29ish when I stepped up to 80 on the cruise control.

As for the thread in general, I have NEVER gotten published mileage from any of my new cars. Don't they test them sitting on rollers in a lab in order to determine their published numbers?

I'm at 11 months ownership of a '19 Touring now and my average is mid 28's in mixed suburban/highway driving. I watch the yellow/green meter at the top of the center display and try to avoid 'pegging' it to the far left as much as possible. I guess that means I baby it a little. 😁 When I drove it more aggressively I got 23/24. That pattern is pretty consistent with any car I've ever owned.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts