Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm NEW to the Subaru as a Brand. Forester Limited

Not sure if I got a defective unit or not. but after finishing my 1st FREE tank of GAS pumped by the dealer. I'm only getting around 320 miles... and 70% of it is freeway use. My highest MPG was around 23.0 MPG.
Now, my 2nd tank which I pumped w/ 87' per Subaru...I'm about 1/4 of the tank and I'm getting about 20.2 MPG.

Shouldn't I be getting around 28-30 in combined MPG?

Acceleration from a completed stop a few time seems a bit rough.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thank you,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I'm NEW to the Subaru as a Brand. Forester Limited

Not sure if I got a defective unit or not. but after finishing my 1st FREE tank of GAS pumped by the dealer. I'm only getting around 320 miles... and 70% of it is freeway use. My highest MPG was around 23.0 MPG.
Now, my 2nd tank which I pumped w/ 87' per Subaru...I'm about 1/4 of the tank and I'm getting about 20.2 MPG.

Shouldn't I be getting around 28-30 in combined MPG?

Acceleration from a completed stop a few time seems a bit rough.

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Thank you,
2020 Premium Forester just returned from a 600 mile round trip traveling from an altitude of 2300 to an altitude of 7600. My fuel app showed 26.3 going up & 32.1 coming back down. Local fuel stations only have 86 octane with 10% ethanol so that’s what I use. Mostly highway miles with limited city driving. Previous Forester was 2016 2.0 XT so there was an adjustment period for me with the 2020, but the 2020 is very capable of delivering the performance I need. Sorry that I’m not able to offer solutions to your mpg problems.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
175 Posts
I'm now averaging 9.2L/100kms with the bigger heavier tires so that is roughly 26MPG. Vehicle has 5000kms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

May I ask:

How many miles in before you get this MPG?
What is or How long does it take to break-in?
How do you know when it ready?

As for me...
I got the car as brand new, only 10 miles on the odometer.
So, not sure what to expect.

Any additional information would greatly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
13,412 Posts
Milleage will not improve during breaking....as general rule. In the 10 cars I have bought new. In todays vehicles breakin is...well...un necessary (IMHO) I had '18 amd '19 subarus at redline in the first 100 miles . Zero oil use on both and gas mileage has not changed. Again that's just me. Others should follow "Break-In Recommendations"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milleage will not improve during breaking....as general rule. In the 10 cars I have bought new. In todays vehicles breakin is...well...un necessary (IMHO) I had '18 amd '19 subarus at redline in the first 100 miles . Zero oil use on both and gas mileage has not changed. Again that's just me. Others should follow "Break-In Recommendations"
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I only drove this car now about 420 miles on the odometer.

MPG is worse than my 2012 Ford Escape V6. ( Escape got average about 19 MPG )

Same day and time on the same road to work n from work.

Forester Limited so far ONLY getting the highest is about 23MPG.

According to Subaru.. Regular (87) GAS should be just fine and should get the same MPG as listed?

Unfortunately, I'm not getting that at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring
235 Posts
With about 1.5k miles mine is averaging 25.2 mpg with mixed driving. I think the quoted 26/33 mpg is a tad overstated.

·
Registered
2019 Forrester Touring CVT
98 Posts
Check the tire pressure, it's getting cold (east coast) it makes a huge difference. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used to keep track of my miles per gallon and my gas spending using a app on my Android phone called FillUp. I wouldn't come to any conclusions about fuel consumption over a single tank of gas. Maybe 10...

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,776 Posts
Heh, my XT's get between 20-27 mpg's depending on who's driving them. When I drive them, closer to 20. When my wife drives them? Closer to 27. Also the fuel mixture makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
197 Posts
There is another thread about this.... I'm getting at least 30 MPG in FLATlorida and that's about 1/2 city 1/2 interstate. I get better than that on long trips. Maybe I drive like an old lady !!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
39 Posts
Also keep in mind that awd are on the heavier side. I for one when I got my 2019 sport, was sorta in the same situation. Thinking to myself that I’m not getting what the car is rated for. It got better when time went on. (For me at least). But there are a lot of variables when it comes to mpg as to how the company test it, compared to how you drive or compared to any one out there.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Sport
18 Posts
Regarding the rough acceleration, I was told by the dealership that Subaru puts different oil in at the first oil change once the engine has broken in. After that, the mpg often improves and the car tends to run smoother, especially when accelerating after auto stop/start has engaged. I'm only at 500 miles right now so I don't know if this is accurate.

·
Registered
2018 FXT-T CVT / 2007 FXT 5MT
1,450 Posts
Were you varying your load/speed constantly while doing that highway breaking for 70% of that first tank?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts