Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Do you know the the brand of the Subaru trailer hitch accessories? or it is Subaru made designed for their car?
Subaru is costly due to way of installation and warranty.
Subaru installed is they cut small piece on the beam for the receiver, removing the bumper and the bumper beam then attached hitch directly inline with the frame.
While other brands like Curt & Draw-Tite it is attached underneath the frame and cut small piece of heat shield and drilling into vehicle frame.

I read in this forum article about experience that the hitch burn because its near the muffler.

I would like to hear your feedback who are using OEM and Non-OEM. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
86 Posts
The way Subaru integrates their hitch receiver with the bumper and frame is generally much better than something that hangs down from a third party. I wouldn't want ANYTHING that required drilling holes into the vehicle to mount a hitch receiver, personally. For holding accessories like bike racks it's not a big deal but for real towing, it could be, although the limits are low on Forester and Outback. For the Ascent, the Subaru hitch is absolutely the best choice for actual towing and it's also crash tested for third row passengers.

Reactions: JGvoiture

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim and glad to hear that, I am going to use hitch trailer for Towing camping trailer as well.

·
Registered
2019 Forester, 2012 STi, 2008 Forester (Sold)
19 Posts
I have the OEM hitch. I always ask the dealership to throw in a hitch as part of the deal when I buy a new car and they usually do at no extra cost. Since it replaces the rear bumper beam it becomes part of the vehicle's structure and has undergone crash testing like the beam it replaces. I wouldn't think another brand that installs the same way would have that kind of testing but may as far as I know. Worth looking into. Integration is very clean as you'd expect from an OEM part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts