Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys,
I have been a lurker and finally signed up to post.
My Forester is 18 days old. I knew this day would come, but wish it wasn't so soon!
100+ miles per day of driving on highways and city... I present to you the first paint chip.

Screen Shot 2020-03-17 at 2.13.42 PM.png
(I assume inserting it as a thumbnail gives you the ability to click to zoom in).

Any recommendations on what is the best way to take care of things like this? A touch up paint? If so, are there any brands that you trust that actually match/have the Crystal White Pearl paint? I am not sure how long the Crystal White Pearl has been used on the Subie's so I don't know if it will be hard to find. Or if there is another route I should go? I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,294 Posts
get a paint pen from Subaru. Its easy.

And 3m the front of your ride if you care about it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,294 Posts
Oh nice, I actually didn't know you could buy them from Subaru directly. Is 3m the clear front?
All dealerships should have the pens yup...especially for a 2020. I'm not sure where you live...I live in the rock chip capitol of the world. I protect (3m) my front bumper, hood, front fenders, pillars, headlights, foglights, and above the front windshield (up to the sunroof).

I have a 2018 forester XT and I have used Subaru paint pens (white pearl) and like them. Much better than the mitsu pens I use on my Evo. Straighforward….fill it in, then wait 30 mins. Assess if it needs another coat/fill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
All dealerships should have the pens yup...especially for a 2020. I'm not sure where you live...I live in the rock chip capitol of the world. I protect (3m) my front bumper, hood, front fenders, pillars, headlights, foglights, and above the front windshield (up to the sunroof).

I have a 2018 forester XT and I have used Subaru paint pens (white pearl) and like them. Much better than the mitsu pens I use on my Evo. Straighforward….fill it in, then wait 30 mins. Assess if it needs another coat/fill.
Awesome. I am going to grab one from my dealership. I live in the states. I am really bummed I didn't do the frontal protection from the beginning... is that something dealerships offer too or do I need to go to a body shop? I reached out for a quote from a couple of places after I read your post and I am bracing for a hefty price tag.

ETA: Called and the Subaru dealership (at least where I bought it) doesn't offer any services for the frontal protection anymore.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,294 Posts
I am really bummed I didn't do the frontal protection from the beginning... is that something dealerships offer too or do I need to go to a body shop? I reached out for a quote from a couple of places after I read your post and I am bracing for a hefty price tag.
If there isn't considerable chipping, I would still do it...if you plan on keeping it and liking it. I would stay away from dealerships doing it, as they don't have the skill...and if they are contracting out, they will look to save money.

Look for the best in your area. Its important to have done right...and backed up/warrantied. Here in Canada, I pay about 1,100 for everything, But I get a discount because I know the guys. You can expect anything from 1,000-1300 US is my guess. Shouldn't be more...if you work out a package deal like I stated earlier.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Premium
41 Posts
As for the paint protection film don't go through the dealer. They contract it out and it usually is not as good as what you would get from that same business if you had them do it directly. I recently bought a 2020 and am looking to get some installed. One place I went to does work for several dealers in the area. They showed me one car that didn't go up as far as what they quoted to install on my car. That is because that is what the dealer pays them for but then the dealer has a markup on it. I was getting most quotes around $900 for a partial front film and $12-1400 for full depending on the material used. Do your research on both product and installers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Guys,
I have been a lurker and finally signed up to post.
My Forester is 18 days old. I knew this day would come, but wish it wasn't so soon!
100+ miles per day of driving on highways and city... I present to you the first paint chip.

View attachment 531444
(I assume inserting it as a thumbnail gives you the ability to click to zoom in).

Any recommendations on what is the best way to take care of things like this? A touch up paint? If so, are there any brands that you trust that actually match/have the Crystal White Pearl paint? I am not sure how long the Crystal White Pearl has been used on the Subie's so I don't know if it will be hard to find. Or if there is another route I should go? I am open to suggestions.
From experience with white pearl paints, if you want to do the spot fix yourself, (pick up the paint from a good auto paint shop having them leave out the pearl. this will allow you to touch up a small nick and smooth it out after it dries. touching up pearl paint only works best when sprayed on. Or a good touch up rep can do it without "spreading" the area.

good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts