Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 forester sport
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few months I have used my 2020 forester sport for a LOT of moving. All types of stuff, home owner stuff, lawn care, ect.

My trunk area is getting SCUFFED up like CRAZY. I invested in the cargo trunk protector and the back seat protectors. Works wonders! The sidewalls are so messed up I got the protectors for that also. they are great!

My main issue is now the following. I have the upgraded KH audio upgrade. It adds a sub in the back of my trunk behind one of the rear sidewalls that is now protected. This sub is not however. Is there any sort of OEM or after market protector I can get that doesnt affect the sound as well?

In the picture, the red circle is the sub. The blue circle is now covered with the OEM sidewall protector.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
2023 ordered
62 Posts
Nothing OEM, I mean you could get a piece of 3m film to cover it then take a push pin and poke out all the holes in the grill. That would protect the panel from scuffs but impact could still technically crack it but that would be a hell of a hit

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,009 Posts
Any cover is going to remove the sound of the sub. Or at least reduce it.

When loading up the back with so much stuff and to protect the sub, I'd suggest a foam "ring" that is cut to size to surround the opening for the speaker and then slip that between the stuff and the face of the speaker to protect. Go to a craft store (like Michael's or Joanne's - maybe even Walmart) or get some on Amazon.

Rectangle Wood Table Automotive tire Hardwood

Get some of the squishy cellulose type foam and that will allow for sound to still come out, will allow for compression if the cargo shifts and should be mostly inexpensive. Once you get a sheet or three - cut it to shape. You could even add some of that spray-on adhesive stuff (like for photo mounting) and spray that on the back of the foam to have it stick to the wall and then should be at least cleanable when you take the foam out.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
5,112 Posts
Subs need to move a lot of air. Anything you put to protect or cover will reduce the amount of air moved, either reducing it's effectiveness or distorting the sound quality. So you might look at some sort of temporary protective cover that you use during the times you have cargo in the back. And then remove the protective cover to gain the maximum sound quality from the sub.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport
76 Posts
Were the OEM sidewall protectors hard to install? The directions online sound complicated
I also put these oem protectors on a couple weeks ago. they are very easy. its just 5 or so round Velcro stickers that stick to the wheel humps and the back of the protector. lining it up 'perfectly' just takes some eyeballing. They come with a little template that you can use to make sure they're even/level. Its literally just stick em on and you're done.

I used masking tape to stick the template on, then peeled and did each Velcro dot one at a time so I didn't make an irreparable sticker mistake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts